PDA

View Full Version : GPS files for thru hike

atlskw
02-08-2009, 10:17
Hello all,
Does anyone have the GPS data files I could load on my new Garmin Oregon 400t ? I would like to thru hike the BMT going S to N and then take the AT back making a figure eight. I found MR. Parkay's Google earth file but he mentions its not that accurate. Just wondering if anyone has the actual file that they made during their hikes.
Any help would be greatly appreciated
Thanks and get out and hike.
Scott

SGT Rock
02-08-2009, 11:34
I really don't think you need a GPS for that trail.

atlskw
02-08-2009, 18:58
Sgt
I understand but I am a tech geek who loves to look at data. Its always fun to go over it when I get back and analyze it. So thats why I am looking for it. I really bought the GPS for the Bike across the USA I will do when I am done with the hike. I am making the best of the current economic situation as I got laid off so now I am doing stuff I want till I have to work again. So any help would be great.
I used your web site for some gear suggestions already so thank you
Scot

SGT Rock
02-08-2009, 18:59
Your welcome scott. As far as I know Mr Parkay has the best set of data.

FWIW - I helped a lost pair of hikers last year that were out on the BMT with a GPS but no map. They got in an area with a lot of ATV trails and got way screwed up.

atlskw
02-08-2009, 19:11
Oh Don't worry I don't leave home without paper maps. I just like to get to know my GPS and how to use the new ones.

SGT Rock
02-08-2009, 19:14
There have been a few recently completed relocations - so some of the data is wrong - as are most of the BMTA maps they put out.

take-a-knee
02-08-2009, 20:50
There have been a few recently completed relocations - so some of the data is wrong - as are most of the BMTA maps they put out.

So a lot of the trail descriptions in Tim Homan's BMT book no longer apply?

SGT Rock
02-08-2009, 20:51
Well I don't think a lot is correct - I am saying some of the descriptions are/will be wrong.

Mr. Parkay
02-18-2009, 03:49
Hey Scott,

I just noticed this thread and wanted to make a few comments:

As SGT Rock mentioned, my Google Earth Track of the BMT is pretty much the only "complete" gps track available... as far as I know anyway. However, if you find out about another track, definitely let me know!

One weakness of my data is that it's a "mish-mash" from various sources, so the accuracy of the data may not be consistent throughout.

The Georgia section is probably the most accurate part, since I've personally walked this section with a GPS unit, and I've compared my data with several other sources, which all seem to mesh pretty well.

The part that I'm least confident about is the smokies section. My GPS info for this area came from Forest Service GIS data that I found online. This data appears to be accurate, however I can't be sure since I don't have anything to compare it with.

Anyhow, if you end up using my GPS track on your hike, definitly let me know if you find any errors. And if you feel motivated to record a gps track of the smokies section, that wouldn't hurt either :D

Good luck on the hike!

--Mr. Parkay

Hello all,
Does anyone have the GPS data files I could load on my new Garmin Oregon 400t ? I would like to thru hike the BMT going S to N and then take the AT back making a figure eight. I found MR. Parkay's Google earth file but he mentions its not that accurate. Just wondering if anyone has the actual file that they made during their hikes.
Any help would be greatly appreciated
Thanks and get out and hike.
Scott

atlskw
03-01-2009, 18:40
Well I just got a Garmin Oregon and am trying to figure out how to recharge batteries and all that to take it along with me. IK am the data kind of guy so I would like to record the whole trip if I can manage all the batteries I will need. I am looking into a solar charger for the AA batteries I will use for it and my camera. Just really not sure how much sunlight I will be able to recieve each day. I tend to get up early and get on the trail but I might be able to charge when I stop for lunch and breaks, and hopefully the sun isn't below treeline when I stop for the day to get some more charging. I will put the track on the GPS and hopefully use it too. I will let you know how it goes as I plan on doing the whole trail in April
Scott

Hey Scott,

I just noticed this thread and wanted to make a few comments:

As SGT Rock mentioned, my Google Earth Track of the BMT is pretty much the only "complete" gps track available... as far as I know anyway. However, if you find out about another track, definitely let me know!

One weakness of my data is that it's a "mish-mash" from various sources, so the accuracy of the data may not be consistent throughout.

The Georgia section is probably the most accurate part, since I've personally walked this section with a GPS unit, and I've compared my data with several other sources, which all seem to mesh pretty well.

The part that I'm least confident about is the smokies section. My GPS info for this area came from Forest Service GIS data that I found online. This data appears to be accurate, however I can't be sure since I don't have anything to compare it with.

Anyhow, if you end up using my GPS track on your hike, definitly let me know if you find any errors. And if you feel motivated to record a gps track of the smokies section, that wouldn't hurt either :D

Good luck on the hike!

--Mr. Parkay

Mr. Parkay
03-02-2009, 18:52
Well I just got a Garmin Oregon and am trying to figure out how to recharge batteries and all that to take it along with me. IK am the data kind of guy so I would like to record the whole trip if I can manage all the batteries I will need. I am looking into a solar charger for the AA batteries I will use for it and my camera. Just really not sure how much sunlight I will be able to recieve each day. I tend to get up early and get on the trail but I might be able to charge when I stop for lunch and breaks, and hopefully the sun isn't below treeline when I stop for the day to get some more charging. I will put the track on the GPS and hopefully use it too. I will let you know how it goes as I plan on doing the whole trail in April
Scott

Yeah... the battery situation is definitely a problem when recording these long GPS tracks. My gps unit is particularly inefficient, so it burns though about 4 AA batteries a day! However, Halfmile, who recorded a GPS track of the PCT, only used about 4AA batteries a week. He was using a Garmin 60Csx with lithium ion batteries.

McKeever
03-02-2009, 19:06
Carry the GPS if you want to, it will prob be fun, but you still need to carry a hard copy of for each section of guide book, maps and data. I ran across a group deep in the rockies of CO at a fork in the trail. They stopped me and asked if I had map and compass which I did. After helping them they informed me that their GPS had broken and they didn't know which trail to take so they split their group in half and almost 8 hours had past! What a huge mistake as the other trail went into infinity above 10,000 feet! They had to send their best runners up the other trail and loose days if not life or limb waiting to get their group back together. They obviously lost several days and that turned into food shortages or possible rescue searchers being sent if more than a day over due. Please do not hike without a hard copy of everything.

atlskw
03-03-2009, 14:13
I always have a map and compass and I know how to use them too but thanks for the warning to all !

Carry the GPS if you want to, it will prob be fun, but you still need to carry a hard copy of for each section of guide book, maps and data. Snip
Please do not hike without a hard copy of everything.