PDA

View Full Version : Pct,cdt, & At

GeneralLee10
02-08-2009, 13:12
I am not sure where to post this question. This is for the Triple Crown people to answer. Of the 3 trails which one would you say is the hardest to do? And if you where to do it all over which one would you do 1st? Also out of the 3 which one would you recommend to a person that wants to do a Thru that they should try 1st? If you have not completed them all then I do not think you are the one to comment on this.

Thank you for all of your input:)

dloome
02-08-2009, 13:59
Haven't done all of the CDT (but will have soon) so take my answer with a grain of salt.

Hardest: CDT, no doubt. Compared to the other two crowns, it is highest and harshest, has the worst and most unpredictable weather, is by far the least defined, has by far the fewest people on it, and mile for mile has probably the most physical effort. (Sections of the AT like the Whites probably surpass it in sheer physical effort, but the AT is totally incomparable in any other aspect of difficulty.) By far the most mentally demanding of the three.

All over again: Again, briefly pretending I've finished the CDT, I would probably hike the PCT again. I think it has the best of both worlds. It's generally pretty well defined and easy to plan and hike, with just enough harshness and unpredictability to make it interesting. I love the extreme diversity of scenery and landscapes and the abrupt transitions often found between them. I tend to like the scenery of the Mojave Desert more than the Sonoran and Chihuahuan deserts of New Mexico. The Sierras are generally a more pleasant range to hike in than say, some of those in Colorado...

But I dunno. The trails are all so unique and I feel like I'm cheating by comparing them to each other because they're really not comparable in many cases. I mean, about the only thing that the AT and CDT have in common is that they're both long distance trails- WILDLY different experiences appealing to VERY different hiking styles.

Reccomended: PCT! If you have never backpacked before, the PCT is still quite doable but could be unnecessarily difficult at times for inexperienced hikers or could inhibit their ability to relax and have fun- Which I think is important to some degree on any trail. The apparent trend among repeat long distance hikers seems to be starting with easier Eastern trails then moving West.

randyg45
02-08-2009, 14:11
If you have not completed them all then I do not think you are the one to comment on this.

What's it like thinking there are only, what? 50? Maybe 250?, people in the world qualified to give you advice?
Just sayin.... wow.

Sly
02-08-2009, 14:16
Having hiked all three and then some, I like the CDT the best but wouldn't recommend it as a the 1st trail unless you're really good with map, and to a certain extent compass. You have to be OK with not knowing exactly where you are from time to time. A GPS can help in this regard.

IMO, it offers more than the otherwise single thoughtless track from A to B and has much more wildlife. It's a combination of single track, cross country, a little bush whacking, FS and dirt road walking, with a few paved roads, but even those are less and less. It's also more remote so you'll have quite a few days where you won't see anyone. I like that. YMMV.

Mags has a good write up that's stuck to the CDT forum (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showpost.php?p=443692&postcount=1).

That said, the normal routine and what I did was AT, PCT and CDT. It's a natural progression.

MOWGLI
02-08-2009, 14:23
What's it like thinking there are only, what? 50? Maybe 250?, people in the world qualified to give you advice?
Just sayin.... wow.

Nuthin' wrong with that. Lots of folks give advice here all the time that they are not qualified to offer. Prospective hikers should be selective when soliciting advice. Got all kinds of armchair experts on the 'net.

GeneralLee10
02-08-2009, 14:27
Nuthin' wrong with that. Lots of folks give advice here all the time that they are not qualified to offer. Prospective hikers should be selective when soliciting advice. Got all kinds of armchair experts on the 'net.

Well said Thank You!

Sly
02-08-2009, 14:29
Just sayin.... wow.

Probably somewhere over 100 that have hiked the Triple Crown (and growing) and a few that frequent Whiteblaze.

Myself
Mags
Jim O
Ginny

any others?

Tin Man
02-08-2009, 14:33

Armchair experts? If you read enough, you can come to the same conclusion as Sly, which is pretty much what I would say, minus the experience.

Writing about hiking isn't the same as the dynamics of a football or baseball team, where monday morning "experts" don't get the whole picture.

Tin Man
02-08-2009, 14:34
Great post Sly. :cool:

Sly
02-08-2009, 14:43
Thanks, Tin Man....

BLEACH, what sections of CDT haven't you done yet?

Tin Man
02-08-2009, 14:48
Probably somewhere over 100 that have hiked the Triple Crown (and growing) and a few that frequent Whiteblaze.

Myself
Mags
Jim O
Ginny

any others?

I know Packrat of Hiker's Welcome Hostel in Glencliff has done the AT and CDT. Can't recall if he has or was planning to do the PCT.

Sly
02-08-2009, 14:51
I know Packrat of Hiker's Welcome Hostel in Glencliff has done the AT and CDT. Can't recall if he has or was planning to do the PCT.

I'm pretty sure he's done the PCT, not sure when. Which reminds me Blister Sister's another Triple Crowner.

And Nean and Fiddlehead!

Yappy should be, and will be, but hasn't gotten around to the CDT yet. :rolleyes:

It wasn't hard but, Yappy actually got me hooked on the idea.

Tin Man
02-08-2009, 14:58
I'm pretty sure he's done the PCT, not sure when. Which reminds me Blister Sister's another Triple Crowner.

And Nean and Fiddlehead!

Yappy should be, and will be, but hasn't gotten around to the CDT yet. :rolleyes:

It wasn't hard but, Yappy actually got me hooked on the idea.

Thought so. You must know/recall some more. Come on Sly, someone has to keep records here. :)

randyg45
02-08-2009, 15:02
According to Sly, an actual Triple Crown hiker (see below), there's probably something north of 100 such hikers, at least 4 of whom haunt WB some.
I'll continue to ask for advice from a somewhat wider spectrum, take the best and leave the rest.
Whats really funny here is that my wife thinks I'm arrogant :)

Tin Man
02-08-2009, 15:02
maybe this will help...

http://www.aldhawest.org/Triple/default.asp

CrumbSnatcher
02-08-2009, 15:07
has anyone thruhiked the P.C.T. OR C.D.T with a dog as a hiking partner.

Sly
02-08-2009, 15:13
has anyone thruhiked the P.C.T. OR C.D.T with a dog as a hiking partner.

If so, not legally. Yosemite, Glacier and Yellowstone don't allow dogs in the backcountry. Not recommended through the desert areas either.

MOWGLI
02-08-2009, 15:15
Armchair experts?

If I wanted advice about thru-hiking a specific trail, I wouldn't ask someone who hasn't done what I would like to attempt. So if I wanted a comparison of the thru-hiking the at, pct & cdt, I'd want to hear from somone who actually did it. Not from someone who read a book, or once talked to someone whose sister's neighbor's boyfriend's second cousin lives next door to someone who did it. :p
I've hiked all of the at and sections of the pct & cdt and am unqualified to answer the question posed.

Tin Man
02-08-2009, 15:19
am unqualified to answer the question posed.

agreed :p

Sly
02-08-2009, 15:29
Thought so. You must know/recall some more. Come on Sly, someone has to keep records here. :)

LOL.. unless they're lurking, I think that's all there is here on WB. So who do we have...

Myself
Oso Loco, Bunbun (Jim O)
Spirit Walker (Ginny)
Mags
Fiddlehead
Nean
Packrat
Blister Sister
Garlic08
Squeaky

I'd like to see more, especially from those that hike the AT over and over. IMO, they're really missing out.

CrumbSnatcher
02-08-2009, 15:32
If so, not legally. Yosemite, Glacier and Yellowstone don't allow dogs in the backcountry. Not recommended through the desert areas either.
thanks SLY. in 92' i found out about the appalachian trail and was consumed about getting out there! it was the spring of 98' when i made my way to springer with my hiking partner my dog BEAR. who was born dec-29 -93 and came into my life march 94'. we did everything together she went to work with me to my ballgames everything. in short she was my kid and my 4-5 years of planning for a thruhike naturally included her.i could not leave her behind! so we went for a hike togeather. people would always say is the P.C.T NEXT? and alot of people thought i should try new trails instead of heading to the same ole place ,springer almost every year for awhile! i thought the other trails would be great to hike BUT not at the exspense of leaving my hiking partner behind! the tread on the A.T. can be rough but with all the frequent water sources and tree cover i thought it would be the best place for us. so we continued to come back &often. our last thruhike she was ten so she got alot of zerodays all the way up the trail while i continued to hike. so she could stay on the journey without all the miles. i am not yet a triple crowner, might never happen but i was ALWAYS the happiest with my dog alongside.

Tin Man
02-08-2009, 15:33
I'd like to see more, especially from those that hike the AT over and over. IMO, they're really missing out.

many of the AT repeaters simply go for the party, which they will not see on the other trails.*

*monday morning quarterbacking. i really have no experience. :rolleyes:

Sly
02-08-2009, 15:36
Yeah, if I had a dog, I wouldn't be hiking as much out west. As far as trail is concerned AT is dog friendly.

yappy
02-08-2009, 15:37
hey careful now Sly ...the Cdt will be all the sweeter WHEN I get to do it. I will make you wish you were out with me..lol...:)

garlic is one also I think.

Sly
02-08-2009, 15:39
many of the AT repeaters simply go for the party, which they will not see on the other trails.*

*monday morning quarterbacking. i really have no experience. :rolleyes:

Yeah that and comfortable in their surroundings. Ironically, someone like Jack would know more hikers on the PCT in any given year, than starting on the AT again.

The PCT has it's fair share of repeat offenders.

yappy
02-08-2009, 15:40
crumb you and i are alot alike. Lulu is the reason i haven't done the Cdt yet. I just can't bring myself to leave again for that long. She has done so much hiking with me and nothing is the same with her. i would be completely devastated if she died while i was out. i am doing the Azt in a month and will be gone several weeks. I am relying on her being just fine when I get back.... I just love her so much and wouldn't leave her with just about anyone but my husband who is crazy about her too.

yappy
02-08-2009, 15:42
I was out again on the pct for 1000 miles and loved it. That is a trail I could do again for sure. all this work and marriage stuff keeps getting in the way ! haha

Montana AT05
02-08-2009, 15:44
This thread is a good indication of the direction "thru-hiking" is going, and it ain't purdy!

Sly
02-08-2009, 15:46
This thread is a good indication of the direction "thru-hiking" is going, and it ain't purdy!

Why do you say that? :-?

MOWGLI
02-08-2009, 15:57
I was out again on the pct for 1000 miles and loved it. That is a trail I could do again for sure. all this work and marriage stuff keeps getting in the way ! haha

I hear ya! I hope to do the PCT in the next 5 years. Although I'm thinking that maybe settling for the Colorado Trail and the Bibbulmun Track in the same year might be nice. :sun

Until then, I'll settle for 7-14 day backpack trips. I can't imagine a scenario where that would take place on the AT - outside of a slim chance that I'd do Maine again.

garlic08
02-08-2009, 15:57
Back to topic.

The CDT was the hardest for me. I don't want to rehike any of the three. There are so many trails and I'm not getting any younger.

An inexperienced hiker considering the TC should start with the AT, but not necessarily. The AT is a bachelor's degree, the PCT a masters, and the CDT is a doctorate. You need greater degrees of some skills for each.

Sly
02-08-2009, 15:59
The CDT was the hardest for me.

Sorry for leaving you out. I'll add you to the list! ;)

randyg45
02-08-2009, 16:37
If I wanted advice about thru-hiking a specific trail, I wouldn't ask someone who hasn't done what I would like to attempt. So if I wanted a comparison of the thru-hiking the at, pct & cdt, I'd want to hear from somone who actually did it. Not from someone who read a book, or once talked to someone whose sister's neighbor's boyfriend's second cousin lives next door to someone who did it. :p
I've hiked all of the at and sections of the pct & cdt and am unqualified to answer the question posed.
Actually, mowgli, there are 3 questions:
1. Of the 3 trails which one would you say is the hardest to do?
2. And if you where to do it all over which one would you do 1st?
3. Also out of the 3 which one would you recommend to a person that wants to do a Thru that they should try 1st?
I haven't thru-hiked any of the three trails in question and feel absolutely qualified to answer all three questions. Further, anyone who has read anything at all about the three trails, or even sits down and looks at a half-assed map of them is probably qualified to answer the first question, and therefore, logically, the other two, especially the third.

SGT Rock
02-08-2009, 16:40
3. Also out of the 3 which one would you recommend to a person that wants to do a Thru that they should try 1st?
I haven't thru-hiked any of the three trails in question and feel absolutely qualified to answer all three questions. Further, anyone who has read anything at all about the three trails, or even sits down and looks at a half-assed map of them is probably qualified to answer the first question, and therefore, logically, the other two, especially the third.
With that sort of attitude (and experience) the only thing that should be added -

4. Why listen to this guy for advice?

MOWGLI
02-08-2009, 16:43

1. I don't know. Although I have seen people here at WB go on & on about how the AT is hardest - even though that's the only trail they have hiked. :p That thread was closed by Admin - as you could probably imagine.

2. There are no do overs.

3. None of the above. I'd suggest a shorter trail. Like the AL Pinhoti, Long Trail, or Colorado Trail.

MOWGLI
02-08-2009, 16:48
Although I have seen people here at WB go on & on about how the AT is hardest - even though that's the only trail they have hiked. :p That thread was closed by Admin - as you could probably imagine.

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=4961

Correction. It wasn't closed.

yappy
02-08-2009, 17:04
I enjoyed the Colorado trail Mowgli. I think you would like it. I gotta say I enjoy doing the same trail more then once. I am not sick of any of them. I am glad I am doing a new one this Spring but if I got the chance to do any again I would jump. There are alot of hikes in Alaska I haven't done yet. Everything is so spread out so I have a tendency to do the same trips more then once. In regards to the AT though would only want to do that sobo this time. Way too crowded for me these days.

MOWGLI
02-08-2009, 17:09
I enjoyed the Colorado trail Mowgli. I think you would like it.

I did 60 or so miles in 2005 with my daughter when she was 15. We went from I-70 to Twin Lakes. That section is concurrent with the CDT. A great hike. With family in Colorado, I hope to do the whole thing some day.

yappy
02-08-2009, 17:19
I hope you do too..:)

Tin Man
02-08-2009, 17:25

if it is that simple, then why is there a question? :)

Sly
02-08-2009, 17:50

LOL... What a trip. When you look in the dictionary under ignorance look for a picture of Dewey, the one trail wonder.

Jack Tarlin
02-08-2009, 17:54
Hey Sly, I just had a look at that thread, too.

And there were any number of questionable things said on the thread, including some heated and unkind ones.

To single out one individual for insult is kind of beneath you.

Tell ya what, the next time you want to insult Mountain Dew, do it to his face.

Just let us know when you're gonna do it, so we don't miss anything. :D

Desert Reprobate
02-08-2009, 17:56
And we can sell tickets

Blissful
02-08-2009, 18:04
I'd consider the PCT if I can find someone who would hike it with me. No way can I do that alone. Even the CDT sounded interesting from The Gathering I went to.
But that's the hurdle for me...

Sly
02-08-2009, 18:10
Hey Sly, I just had a look at that thread, too.

And there were any number of questionable things said on the thread, including some heated and unkind ones.

To single out one individual for insult is kind of beneath you.

Tell ya what, the next time you want to insult Mountain Dew, do it to his face.

Just let us know when you're gonna do it, so we don't miss anything. :D

Jack I know you and Dewey are close but he was extremely ignorant in that thread concerning the western trails. He also attacks and insults people here on WB on a regular basis when he's posting. What ever he gets, he deserves.

Forward him my comments. I don't care. He has more to lose than I do.

Dogwood
02-08-2009, 18:10
I actually think there R quite a few less than 250 registered Triple Crowners worldwide. Almost definitely less than 150! Although, I have not thru-hiked the CDT yet, only the AT and PCT, from what I've experienced on limited sections of the CDT and what I know about the CDT I would say most people new to hiking shouldn't hike the CDT first if they R planning a Triple Crown attempt for the same reasons as Bleach and Sly have mentioned. I suggest one would want to have a higher level of thru-hiking backpacking experience and physical conditioning before hitting the CDT.

boarstone
02-08-2009, 18:13
I am not sure where to post this question. This is for the Triple Crown people to answer. Of the 3 trails which one would you say is the hardest to do? And if you where to do it all over which one would you do 1st? Also out of the 3 which one would you recommend to a person that wants to do a Thru that they should try 1st? If you have not completed them all then I do not think you are the one to comment on this.

you might want to look in www.postholer.com and select the trails/years people have hiked and have a journal. Lots have some awesome pics that say more than words. Just to help add to your info you get from some of the Triplecrowners here. The pics alone would draw me to hike out west first, but then, I've done just enough here in Maine/NH to know I don't want to do anymore unless it is out West. So, spring of my retirement,(2014) I plan to "walk" east to West.....that oughta' be interesting!....
Good luck, pick one and just go!

Sly
02-08-2009, 18:14
I'd consider the PCT if I can find someone who would hike it with me. No way can I do that alone. Even the CDT sounded interesting from The Gathering I went to.
But that's the hurdle for me...

Blissful, without a partner going in, if you started around the KO (end of April) you'd have no problem finding a partner or a number of people to hike with.

MOWGLI
02-08-2009, 18:16
Blissful, without a partner going in, if you started around the KO (end of April) you'd have no problem finding a partner or a number of people to hike with.

Blissful, search ADZPCTKO (Annual Day Zero PCT Kick Off).

Jack Tarlin
02-08-2009, 18:22
Sly:

First off, the guy who you just accused of "regularly" insulting and attacking people here hasn't posted since last June.

And the thread you resurrected is coming up on five years old.

In the past five years, Sly, I can remember some questionable things YOU have had to say here, but I don't think they're worth re-hashing.

Your comment about Dew was petty and unfortunate; there just wasn't any need for it.

But again, if you REALLY want to insult the guy, then don't do it here where he'll likely never see it. He'll be at Trail Days, Sly, so if you have something to say to him, then by all means say it in person.

Gee, how much does anyone wanna bet THAT will never happen. :D

SGT Rock
02-08-2009, 18:27
Please, lets not fight fights about fights we fought 5 years ago.

Blissful
02-08-2009, 18:30

Good ideas, Sly and Mowgli, thanks. Guess it's kind of like picking up hikers to go with at Springer.

Jack Tarlin
02-08-2009, 18:32
Couldn't agree more, Rock, which was pretty much my point.

To get back to the subject at hand, one of the most interesting things about that thread was that several Whiteblaze Triple Crowners did indeed say in no uncertain terms that PHYSICALLY, the A.T. was the most difficult, and that they had no trouble acknowledging this.

This mainly had to do with the grading of the other Trails, which many folks traverse with pack animals, which would be difficult, if not impossible, on the A.T.

It was other factors which made the Western Trails harder all-around, these factors being such things as logistics and re-supply; water availability; fewer facilities; facilities that were further apart; fewer people around for emotional support, etc.

But PHYSICALLY, several Whiteblaze Triple Crowners were quite plain when they talked about the physical difficulties of the Appalachian Trail, and I'll defer to their greater knowledge.

Sly
02-08-2009, 18:36
I called him ignorant about the western trails, which he is and described his behavior on WB. I also said "when he's posting"

I'll add I didn't resurrect any thread, but responded to it, here, when it was posted.

Sorry, I won't be at Trail Days, I'll be out west, hiking. Y'all have a good time without me.

If I see you in the meantime, maybe you can stand in. Huh?

Sly:

First off, the guy who you just accused of "regularly" insulting and attacking people here hasn't posted since last June.

And the thread you resurrected is coming up on five years old.

In the past five years, Sly, I can remember some questionable things YOU have had to say here, but I don't think they're worth re-hashing.

Your comment about Dew was petty and unfortunate; there just wasn't any need for it.

But again, if you REALLY want to insult the guy, then don't do it here where he'll likely never see it. He'll be at Trail Days, Sly, so if you have something to say to him, then by all means say it in person.

Gee, how much does anyone wanna bet THAT will never happen. :D

SGT Rock
02-08-2009, 18:38
Come on. Pole vaulting over mouse turds again.

Sly
02-08-2009, 18:39
IMO, the only thing the AT is harder on is the knees. Hiking poles took care of that. It's steep up and down boredom.

Sly
02-08-2009, 18:39
Come on. Pole vaulting over mouse turds again.

Sorry, missed your previous post.

randyg45
02-08-2009, 18:47

Correction. It wasn't closed.

Thanks for the link, mowgli. I enjoyed the thread.

MOWGLI
02-08-2009, 18:49
Thanks for the link, mowgli. I enjoyed the thread.

Ignorance and all? :p

Dogwood
02-08-2009, 18:57
Man oh man U got to get off that line of thinking - what trail is the hardest? That's why I didn't bite into that one - it too often results into a debatable pissing contest where no one is the clearcut winner. U two guys should know better than that. The two of U have been around way too long to fall into that crap.

Sly
02-08-2009, 19:06
I'm not sure if I ever said which trail is hardest. Although some days may be harder than others, once you get in shape none are particularly hard.

If you want scary that's different. I was never scared on the AT.

Tin Man
02-08-2009, 19:50
I'm not sure if I ever said which trail is hardest. Although some days may be harder than others, once you get in shape none are particularly hard.

If you want scary that's different. I was never scared on the AT.

Ooo Ooo. Tell us some scary stories. :)

Sly
02-08-2009, 19:59
Ooo Ooo. Tell us some scary stories. :)

Walking through Griz country alone is scary, swift and deep fords are scary, traversing steep, icy snow fields with long drop offs into boulder fields is scary, hiking open ridges in lightening storms is scary, sitting in a bar in the middle of no where with a bumper sticker "we shoot every third stranger and the 2nd one just left" is scary". ;)

garlic08
02-08-2009, 20:02
It's funny how subjective trail experiences are. Ever have someone catch up with you at the end of the day, they were maybe 1/2 hour behind you, you trade stories and you ended up having completely different experiences? A fast-moving storm on a ridge, a snow cornice before the sun hit, a grizzly sow and two cubs, a huge elk herd.... Same trail, same day, different stories. Statistics and graphs sure don't tell the story.

So how can different hikers possibly compare different trails in different years? Especially if you haven't even hiked them! The poster asked for triple crowners' opinions, and after over 60 posts, got roughly two opinions.

Some Eastern hikers have an understandable AT prejudice. It is an impressive trail. So there's a natural tendency to down-play the challenges of the PCT. Likewise, some Western hikers tend to think of the shorter, more civilized AT as "that training trail back East", without ever having hiked it.

By the way, Karen Berger's book "Hiking the Triple Crown" has some good comparisons. I disagree with a lot of what she says, but I, of course, had different hikes than she did. For instance, she states factually that the Western hiker's pace will slow down considerably on the AT. Mine speeded up--go figure.

randyg45
02-08-2009, 20:02
Ignorance and all? :p
Let me rephrase. I enjoyed most of it. :)

fiddlehead
02-08-2009, 20:19

Wow, a thread gets started and four hours later, there are 4 pages of posts.

But reading them, i see that they are mostly about bickering over which is harder.

IMO: they are all hard. But does the OP mean by hardest? Physically: probably the whites on the AT although Hope pass on the CDT comes to mind as does trying to get over Forrester pass on the PCT if there are no footprints to follow. Depends on the year/snow level/rainfall/ as well as who you are with/frame of mind at the time/etc.

A level of confidence and experience comes with each one.

If i had it to do over again, which would i do first? Well, now that i have confidence in my hiking, i would stay away from the AT. I say this because I am not so much into partying anymore and prefer to have a hike filled with views/wildlife/peace and quiet/campsites where i can wake up to a sky filled with billions of stars, or a beautiful sunrise.
Of course, I just may do the AT next as i'm waiting for my son to get into hiking and will go wherever he decides and he just may be the partyer i used to be???

Which trail would i recommend to a 1st timer? One of my best friends just broke up with his wife of 25 years or so. He seemed pretty distraught until I recommended that he now has the time and money to do a thru-hike.
I recommended (and he is going in 3 months) the PCT.
I explained the differences and he agreed that beauty and adventure (wilderness experiences) are more important than partying. And he has some experience having already hiked the AT from Springer to Hot Springs (section hiking)

I do tell people that: The AT teaches you that less is more and how to lighten your load (very important learning step in successful thru-hiking) and whether you enjoy walking enough to complete a thru.
The PCT adds to that teaching and you start to learn map reading and how to find water (the 2 go hand in hand on that trail or at least they used to before all the water caches) also, the PCT makes you carry more food and be out there away from towns and roads for longer periods. Hopefully you learn how to use and ice ax and self arrest too.

Of course the CDT is the toughest mentally.
You may not see another person for weeks at a time.
You better know how to find water.
You better know how to read a map and find your way around AND be comfortable being lost and not on a trail.

For me, after having done all 3, i much prefer that solitude and sense of adventure. I love being lost. I've had some of my best experiences that way.

If i was still thru-hiking, my next hike would be a 4 year expedition (with a similar minded hiking partner) and attempt to do the actual Continental Divide (with ropes and yes, sneaking into places where it is considered trespassing)
I believe one state a year would be about right.

But I do hear the advice of people like Billy Goat who continue to do the same trail over and over because they believe it is the best. (and LW, Baltimore Jack and Warren on the AT)

I was just never someone who could read a book twice or see a movie twice, give me new adventures.

Dogwood
02-08-2009, 20:26
Excellent post Fiddlehead!

GeneralLee10
02-08-2009, 20:26
Back to topic.

The CDT was the hardest for me. I don't want to rehike any of the three. There are so many trails and I'm not getting any younger.

An inexperienced hiker considering the TC should start with the AT, but not necessarily. The AT is a bachelor's degree, the PCT a masters, and the CDT is a doctorate. You need greater degrees of some skills for each.

Thank you:)

GeneralLee10
02-08-2009, 20:40
you might want to look in www.postholer.com (http://www.postholer.com) and select the trails/years people have hiked and have a journal. Lots have some awesome pics that say more than words. Just to help add to your info you get from some of the Triplecrowners here. The pics alone would draw me to hike out west first, but then, I've done just enough here in Maine/NH to know I don't want to do anymore unless it is out West. So, spring of my retirement,(2014) I plan to "walk" east to West.....that oughta' be interesting!....
Good luck, pick one and just go!

Thank You

GeneralLee10
02-08-2009, 21:12
WOW! Is all I can say, Most all of you guys are older than me and act like this? And I thought I was a @!^* hope I am not like that when I reach that age if so what a lost of energy. I asked this question specifically for the Triple Crowners and wanted some interesting info on your thoughts. Which some of you NICE GUYS did and I want to Thank YOU for doing so. Fiddlehead I like what you said also, I did not want this to become a pissing match like most post on this site. I also started this post because I am thinking of doing long distance trail other than the AT do to it's popularity. Again I Thank You

SGT Rock
02-08-2009, 21:13
Welcome to the internet. I can tell you that most of these guys are nothing like this in person.

Tin Man
02-08-2009, 21:26
then there are folks that are just 'tards :)

GeneralLee10
02-08-2009, 22:08
Maybe some day I will have the opportunity to meet some of you.

Sly
02-08-2009, 22:35
Welcome to the internet. I can tell you that most of these guys are nothing like this in person.

Add, that a lot gets lost when conversing over the internet. What looks serious here always isn't, and since many of us know each other, the same is easily forgotten with a crack of a beer in real life.

Tin Man
02-08-2009, 22:39
you buying?

SGT Rock
02-08-2009, 22:41
Anyone I run into on the trail this weekend can have some of mine (not beer though).

Blissful
02-08-2009, 22:44
By the way, Karen Berger's book "Hiking the Triple Crown" has some good comparisons. I disagree with a lot of what she says, but I, of course, had different hikes than she did. For instance, she states factually that the Western hiker's pace will slow down considerably on the AT. Mine speeded up--go figure.

Is this a good book to read? Any others recommended?

I must admit, it's the snow, river crossings, grizzlies, etc that scare me some about the PCT. And remoteness - like long hitches for supplies, etc. But I have heard from a hiker I talked to on the AT in 07 that the PCT is easier to hike than the AT - which I find amazing.

Tin Man
02-08-2009, 22:50
Blissful, you know that there is nothing to fear, but a lot to respect. You will be fine. I wish I had the opportunity to hike it with you... that would truly be an honor. Go for it and have fun.

Sly
02-08-2009, 22:51
you buying?

Sure as long as you're packing. :D

Sly
02-08-2009, 23:08

I must admit, it's the snow, river crossings, grizzlies, etc that scare me some about the PCT. And remoteness - like long hitches for supplies, etc. But I have heard from a hiker I talked to on the AT in 07 that the PCT is easier to hike than the AT - which I find amazing.

If you want to read Karen's book I'll lend you my copy, just PM me your address and mail it back when your done.

However, since I'll be gone for a few months, you can pass on to others that may want to read it.

You don't have to worry about griz on the PCT. Some say they're in northern WA, but I haven't heard of any one that's seen one. I've seen 6 on the CDT. They all ran.

Snow and river crossing are a fact, but there's few accidents. Unfortunately, a couple have been fatal.

Blissful
02-08-2009, 23:13
Blissful, you know that there is nothing to fear, but a lot to respect. You will be fine. I wish I had the opportunity to hike it with you... that would truly be an honor. Go for it and have fun.

That is a really kind thing for you to say...thanks. :o

garlic08
02-08-2009, 23:18

I wouldn't buy the book. I got it from the library, and like I said, I had different experiences. But how many triple crowners are authors, or vice versa?

Have you read Ray Jardine's "Beyond Backpacking"? It's mostly good PCT-based gear and hiking info, if you ignore the corn pasta advice. I also got it at my local library.

Tin Man
02-08-2009, 23:40
Sure as long as you're packing. :D

i'm always packing :D

Mags
02-08-2009, 23:42
From the doc Sly referenced:

APPALACHIAN TRAIL vs. PACIFIC CREST TRAIL vs. CONTINENTAL DIVIDE TRAIL

Needless to say the AT and the CDT are not alike in anyway. They are both long trails that goes through the mountains… and that is where the similarity ends
A better comparison is between the CDT and the PCT
Both are about the same length, go above treeline and in remote areas
As with the PCT, the CDT is open to horses. Currently parts of the CDT are also mountain bike accessible
The PCT is finished, is well marked and is relatively well used. The CDT is unfinished, is not well marked in many places and is very unused in places
Take most thru-hikers 4-5 months to hike the CDT
Logistics are similar to the PCT; about 5-7 days in between resupplies
A NoBo will start in late April and typically finish in September. Start too early and you hit much snow in the San Juans of Colorado. Finish too late and you hit snow in Montana
A SoBo will start in mid-June and typically finish in November. Start too early and you will see much snow in Montana. Dawdle too much and you may hit snow in the San Juans.

The purple prose answer (from my journal)

As mentioned previously, the CDT for me was the most challenging, difficult and frustrating of the three trails. The isolation at times, the route finding, the rough edges.

But, it was indeed the most rewarding of the trails I walked.
A trail where I saw a grizzly bears in the wild, heard wolves.

Being on top of Temple Pass in the Winds one glorious morning. Standing on the ridge in Montana and Idaho and seeing NOTHING around except the mountains.

The rawness, intensity and wildness is what makes the trail so rewarding.

Felt as if I was forging my own path (even with maps and guidebooks). Was misplaced enough where sometimes I did feel like I was forging my own path. :D Originally, said it was my favorite of the three trails. Now? Well, hard to really choose a favorite. Think all three had something that made me like them all for different reasons.

The CDT I already mentioned.

Hiking the AT was like my first serious relationship.
Full of passion and energy. Every day was something totally new to me. Took lessons from that experience that I still carry with me. Found the AT to be the most physically difficult (terrain, heavier pack, worse overall weather, inexperience).

The PCT is where I truly felt comfortable for the first time with thru-hiking. Knowing that thru-hiking is what I indeed want to do. The 10 days in the High Sierra is still the overall highpoint in my backpacking "career". The PCT is perhaps the "happy medium" forthe three trails.
Wild in places, easy to get solitude or companionship as needed, easy tread,over all great weather. A trail made for end to end hikes. Most importantly, it is where I made friendships still strong over four years later.

As I settle into what my buddy D-low aptly calls"domestication", thinking of why these long journeys are done. Not just for the physical challenge, or the adventure or being immersed in nature. It is for all these facets and more. For the journey itself. All the challenges, joys, experiences.

Crossing the divide this year, and being a bit of a history buff, think of the the divide crossing that happened 200 years ago: The Lewis and Clark Expedition. In his journal, Lewis wrote: "As we passsed on, it seemed as if those scenes of visionary enchantment would never have an end". And I think that is why many "repeat offenders" do these longhikes...to see more scences of enchantment.

Finally (yeah...goes the crowd. :D), was asked a few times if this completion of the CDT makes me a "Triple Crowner" .

Yep.

Don't feel esp. "hard core". Feel lucky. Not once, or twice but three times now to see this country on foot for months at a time. The US really is extraordinary in its diversity and beauty.

Wild horses in Wyoming. The craggy peaks of northern New England. Thick forests of the southern Appalachians. The sheer remoteness of Montana. Crater Lake at sunrise. The unique combination of the raw and the sublime of the High Sierra.

All scenes of wonder forever etched in my memory. All scenes of enchantment. With any luck, will experience more scenes of enchantment in the future...

More on being a Triple Crowner

Overall, that and $2 gets you an overpriced cup of coffee... :sun

The real litmus test is what you do after getting the triple crown. Do you still do outdoors stuff? Or do you look for another hobby to get a plaque for? :D

I may be a Triple Crowner, but I am an outdoors person first. I live for the great ski touring of today, the full moon ski I am doing tomorrow night and the other journeys that await (See the BMT thread!). Which trail would I do over? None of them. Like Garlic, I want to see something new. More scenes of visionary enchantment that will never come to an end...

Dogwood
02-09-2009, 01:27
OK I'm going to jump back in here because I don't think its been given enough consideration, especially for someone asking a question about how hard a trail is and, maybe, they R somewhat limited in their long distance hiking experiences. And, again, I'm going to try avoiding making a determination using superlatives when it comes to thru-hiking national and international long distance trails. Regardless, as to what anyone stresses, successfully completing a long distance thru-hike anywhere is hard and demands a high level of committment. That should be known and appreciated first! After that it's all debatable!

But, what few have noted about how hard a trail is is that a hiker progresses during their hiking life. In other words, what constitutes how hard a trail is is not just about: length of the trail, deserts or rivers that must be crossed, total elevation change, steepness, presence of large carnivores that might present a danger, remoteness, lack of water, tread condition, cold, etc. I raise this pt. because, I could be wrong about this, but I'll make an educated guess that more than half the Triple Crowners hiked the AT as the first of the AT, PCT, and CDT. Meaning, when they hiked the AT they were the least experienced in many regards to backpacking and, specifically, hiking those three long distance trails. And, as with me, greater hiking experience came: 1)the knowledge and ability to hike carrying less wt. - I started on the AT w/ a 42 lb. pack, I finished the AT with less than a 30 lb. pack, I started the PCT with 22 lbs, finished the PCT regularly carrying near or less than 17 lbs., I can apply this wt. saving knowledge to the CDT 2) the knowledge and ability to choose gear that more accurately fits and supports my body and hiking style - shoes are just one example, but make a BIG difference in how comfortable I feel and therefore contributes to how hard I feel a trail to be 3) I've increased my ability to hike more energy efficiently, with less stress on my body, and traverse difficult terrain more safely - this is going to sound somewhat strange, but I've learned to walk "better" 4) mental toughness - after U meet the day to day challenges completing one long distance hike U better know what to expect on the next long distant hike, like Fiddlehead said in an earlier post, "U learn if long distant hiking is for U" 5) etc., 6) etc., ... So, anyone who says this trail or that is the hardest it has to be factored in what trail they did first because on that trail they were probably the least experienced and prepared and therefore certainly contibuted to making it seem harder. Also, the level of preparation can make any trail seem harder or easier. Just my 2 cents.

Dogwood
02-09-2009, 01:30
Another great post. Thanks Mags.

Squeaky 2
02-09-2009, 06:34

trauma and his dog yoni have done the triple crown twice and then some. in 05 06 in under 12 months they hiked over 10,000 miles doing the IAT, PCT and CDT. yoni hiked every step with him. as she is a search and rescue dog she falls into the same catergory as a guide dog and is therefore allowed in all of the above n.p.'s. oh yeah just to add that trauma also swam the perimeter of lake tahoe!!!:eek:

Sly
02-09-2009, 11:06
trauma and his dog yoni have done the triple crown twice and then some. in 05 06 in under 12 months they hiked over 10,000 miles doing the IAT, PCT and CDT. yoni hiked every step with him. as she is a search and rescue dog she falls into the same catergory as a guide dog and is therefore allowed in all of the above n.p.'s. oh yeah just to add that trauma also swam the perimeter of lake tahoe!!!:eek:

Right forgot about guide/service dogs, and and that you're WB TC'er too. You make 10, there may be a couple more.

Spirit Walker
02-09-2009, 22:03

I've hiked the AT, PCT and CDT, so I'll add my two cents to the discussion.

I hiked the AT first, and that is what I would recommend to someone who doesn't have a lot of backpacking experience. Why?

Primarily, there's the closeness of towns to the trail. Starting out in the south you can get to a town every few days, if you need or want to. If the weather is bad or your equipment insufficient, you can bail out quite easily. All the way up the trail, with a few exceptions, you can resupply every few days. Water is generally easily available. Both easy resupply and frequent water sources mean you can carry a light pack for most of the trail. There is a strong on and off trail community. There are numerous trail angels and cheap hostels. They are much less frequent on the PCT and even less frequent on the CDT. So starting out on the AT you have help when and if you need it - both in case of emergency or just in case of the blues. The time window is much longer on the AT than on the other trails, so you can start out slowly, gradually increasing your mileage. I averaged 12 mpd on the AT, 16 mpd on the CDT and 19 on the PCT. I wouldn't have been able to finish the PCT doing the kind of mileage I did on the AT.

Neither of the other long trails have that same easy access to towns near the trail. On the CDT there are areas where the nearest town is 25 or more miles off the trail. You have sections of 100-150 miles between resupplies. On the AT you can hike the whole trail without ever doing a 20 mile day. On both the CDT and PCT you need to be fairly strong from the beginning, because of the distance between resupplies and the distance between water sources. You have 25 mile dry sections where you have to carry a gallon of water or more - and sometimes you find a dry spring or one with dead animals in it. On the PCT there are many sections that are dry. We carried 6 liters of water every day for most of southern California and several areas in northern California and Oregon. Because of the lack of water, you may have to do big miles. On the PCT you start the trail having to do fairly long days.

As to difficulty: as you (should) know, in some sections the AT can be very difficult. It's a roller coaster with constant up and down hiking. The other trails don't have the kind of hand over hand rock climbing you find on the AT. They don't have the constant rain you can sometimes get on the AT (except in Washington). They don't have the wet rocks and roots that make walking on the AT difficult at times.

The PCT has gentle easy grade on the trail, but it is difficult in other ways. The short weather window means you have to push to finish the trail before winter sets in in the Cascades. We had several snows before we finished in mid-September. Much of the PCT was very hot – not just the desert. Hiking in no shade when it's 90-105 can be difficult. Water is a constant source of trouble - either too much (snowmelt in the Sierras or ice and snow on the trail) or too little. It's a long trail with a lot of long dull connector sections between the highlights. I found the PCT the hardest to stay motivated because I felt like I was being forced to do big miles all the time, whether I wanted to or not because of the long dry sections.

The CDT is the hardest trail for someone with little experience because it has the smallest on trail community (about 25 northbound and 25 southbound hikers each year) and a very small off-trail support community (many people along the trail have never heard of the CDT and there are few consistent trail angels.) Hiking the trail requires the hiker to make choices as to which routes he/she plans to take. There isn't just one route that everyone does all the time. There are frequent navigational issues: because so few people hike the trail, there is sometimes no treadway. On the PCT, when in doubt we could always find fresh footprints to follow. That doesn't apply on the CDT. If you can’t read a map, you will spend a lot of time looking for the route. The PCT issues of snow, snowmelt and dryness apply, as well as long sections between resupply - but you also have the issue of a much colder trail than the PCT or CDT, altitude issues and very changeable weather. You can get snow or below freezing temperatures in July and August on the CDT. That means you can't go quite as light as on the PCT or AT without risking hypothermia. If you don’t have a partner, the CDT is a much more solitary hike than the others. On the AT you will find many good people to hike with. On the PCT if you start with the hordes at the ADZPCTKO you may find compatible people hiking at your pace. On the CDT you are less likely to meet up with someone along the way. It happens – but you may end up hiking for days without seeing another person, much less another thruhiker. It’s very different from the AT.

That said – which trail calls to you? Do you want green and friendly, hot and spectacular, or beautiful, wild and challenging? They are very different. Each is good and I would hike any one of them again. I probably will hike all of them again, if my knees allow.

streakerofAT
02-09-2009, 22:11
i cant answer it

CrumbSnatcher
02-09-2009, 23:31
I've hiked the AT, PCT and CDT, so I'll add my two cents to the discussion.

I hiked the AT first, and that is what I would recommend to someone who doesn't have a lot of backpacking experience. Why?

Primarily, there's the closeness of towns to the trail. Starting out in the south you can get to a town every few days, if you need or want to. If the weather is bad or your equipment insufficient, you can bail out quite easily. All the way up the trail, with a few exceptions, you can resupply every few days. Water is generally easily available. Both easy resupply and frequent water sources mean you can carry a light pack for most of the trail. There is a strong on and off trail community. There are numerous trail angels and cheap hostels. They are much less frequent on the PCT and even less frequent on the CDT. So starting out on the AT you have help when and if you need it - both in case of emergency or just in case of the blues. The time window is much longer on the AT than on the other trails, so you can start out slowly, gradually increasing your mileage. I averaged 12 mpd on the AT, 16 mpd on the CDT and 19 on the PCT. I wouldn't have been able to finish the PCT doing the kind of mileage I did on the AT.

Neither of the other long trails have that same easy access to towns near the trail. On the CDT there are areas where the nearest town is 25 or more miles off the trail. You have sections of 100-150 miles between resupplies. On the AT you can hike the whole trail without ever doing a 20 mile day. On both the CDT and PCT you need to be fairly strong from the beginning, because of the distance between resupplies and the distance between water sources. You have 25 mile dry sections where you have to carry a gallon of water or more - and sometimes you find a dry spring or one with dead animals in it. On the PCT there are many sections that are dry. We carried 6 liters of water every day for most of southern California and several areas in northern California and Oregon. Because of the lack of water, you may have to do big miles. On the PCT you start the trail having to do fairly long days.

As to difficulty: as you (should) know, in some sections the AT can be very difficult. It's a roller coaster with constant up and down hiking. The other trails don't have the kind of hand over hand rock climbing you find on the AT. They don't have the constant rain you can sometimes get on the AT (except in Washington). They don't have the wet rocks and roots that make walking on the AT difficult at times.

The PCT has gentle easy grade on the trail, but it is difficult in other ways. The short weather window means you have to push to finish the trail before winter sets in in the Cascades. We had several snows before we finished in mid-September. Much of the PCT was very hot – not just the desert. Hiking in no shade when it's 90-105 can be difficult. Water is a constant source of trouble - either too much (snowmelt in the Sierras or ice and snow on the trail) or too little. It's a long trail with a lot of long dull connector sections between the highlights. I found the PCT the hardest to stay motivated because I felt like I was being forced to do big miles all the time, whether I wanted to or not because of the long dry sections.

The CDT is the hardest trail for someone with little experience because it has the smallest on trail community (about 25 northbound and 25 southbound hikers each year) and a very small off-trail support community (many people along the trail have never heard of the CDT and there are few consistent trail angels.) Hiking the trail requires the hiker to make choices as to which routes he/she plans to take. There isn't just one route that everyone does all the time. There are frequent navigational issues: because so few people hike the trail, there is sometimes no treadway. On the PCT, when in doubt we could always find fresh footprints to follow. That doesn't apply on the CDT. If you can’t read a map, you will spend a lot of time looking for the route. The PCT issues of snow, snowmelt and dryness apply, as well as long sections between resupply - but you also have the issue of a much colder trail than the PCT or CDT, altitude issues and very changeable weather. You can get snow or below freezing temperatures in July and August on the CDT. That means you can't go quite as light as on the PCT or AT without risking hypothermia. If you don’t have a partner, the CDT is a much more solitary hike than the others. On the AT you will find many good people to hike with. On the PCT if you start with the hordes at the ADZPCTKO you may find compatible people hiking at your pace. On the CDT you are less likely to meet up with someone along the way. It happens – but you may end up hiking for days without seeing another person, much less another thruhiker. It’s very different from the AT.

That said – which trail calls to you? Do you want green and friendly, hot and spectacular, or beautiful, wild and challenging? They are very different. Each is good and I would hike any one of them again. I probably will hike all of them again, if my knees allow.
great post,thanks

Jim Adams
02-10-2009, 00:05
IMO, the only thing the AT is harder on is the knees. Hiking poles took care of that. It's steep up and down boredom.

I think that it all depends on each persons likes and dislikes. I have never been on or seen the CDT and I only did alittle over 1,000 miles of the PCT and I've thru hiked the AT twice.
I will probably do some hiking on the CDT sooner or later because I have seen photos and heard stories of some places that I would like to see there but I will probably never attempt a thru...if I'm getting that isolated and "lost" then I would much rather be in a canoe...it's just my comfort zone.
I was bored stiff on the PCT and as others have posted, felt as though I was being rushed just to stay within the "weather window" season. Too me the short season / longer distance was the only difficulty.
OTOH, I can't wait to thru the AT again...it's just my preferance.
I think there is much difference between the physical difficulties and the mental difficulties. I never saw anything on the PCT between Campo and Yosemite that was as difficult as the AT...but I wasn't successful on the PCT!
HYOH and have fun...your emotions will tell you which trail you liked the most!

geek

Montana AT05
02-10-2009, 02:17
Heya Jim, I second your experience with being bored on the PCT. I've never been so bored in my life. Incredibly easy miles, hikers everywhere, easy resupply, no rain (except for a week at the exact wrong time for me!), easy tread (yea for that one though!). Big let down. Heck, I would list the PCT harder than the other just due to the sheer boredom of it. I left it for that reason (and others I won;t go into, heh).

But I think as many other posters have said, directly or indirectly, it's impossible to say which of the common three trails is the "hardest".

Example: I got caught in a severe hail storm in Virginia. It was brutal. Other hikers who were a ridge away? Nothing. They had blue skies and chirping birds. Later, I was almost hit by lightning in PA, other hikers I spoke to who were nearby? They were snug in camp when that particular storm hit.

Some folks like the green tunnel (I like it because it's so different than the Rockies). Some folks hate the green tunnel and crave open vistas.

Some folks like desert. It bored me stiff. "Oh look! Sand! Oh look! Chapparal! Oh looky there, a jeep trail #3464799!

Some folks like well blazed trails, some don't. Heck, some DAYS you might prefer a well blazed trail and other days you don't.

A thru-hike of the AT may be the BEST-THING-EVER solely because you met some people you really enjoyed, while the next year you hike the CDT and meet people you just can't stand...

Too many variables that combine with the personal likes and dislikes of the hiker, in addition to age, gender, experiences in life, chance encounters, etc.

Pick one you want and do it. Have fun. And please, for the love of hiking, don't treat a guidebook like a holy text. St. Thru-Hiker won't quiz you on how many blazes you humped when you get to the Big Trail In The Sky.