PDA

View Full Version : Rockfish Gap

MedicineMan
05-08-2004, 02:49
Planning early for the next section north I need and it will end at Rockfish Gap...is there anything there? One of these days I will have to buy the companion and not beg for info here!

jlb2012
05-08-2004, 07:56
hotel with resteraunt (?), gas station, information office, easy rides into Waynesboro where there are a broad range of services including outfitter, YMCA, postoffice, super markets, wally world, etc.

Peaks
05-08-2004, 16:25
Planning early for the next section north I need and it will end at Rockfish Gap...is there anything there? One of these days I will have to buy the companion and not beg for info here!

Why don't you go online to ALDHA.org and down load the section your are interested in?

MedicineMan
05-08-2004, 21:29
never thought of ALDA.org on line, will surf there later....
we are really looking for a place to leave a car for 5 days. Do you think the hotel/resturant would mind? I will call and ask if I can get their name/number via the ALDA.org site hint hint if you know?????
OK thanks again.
MedicineMan

jlb2012
05-09-2004, 10:40
Here is the contact info for the Inn at Afton, the hotel I was talking about: http://www.charlottesvilletourism.org/php-bin/resource.php?id=758

The hotel will let hikers leave their cars in the lot but you need to check with the front desk so they can tell you where to leave the car and so that they know that the car is there. Also at least think about taking a room there at the end of the hike so as to clean up before the trip home.

MedicineMan
05-09-2004, 21:29
Thanks for the very detailed info....and esp. the link. Looks like a nice place to stay. We will for sure stay there, probably the night before the hike versus after we get to Rockfish.
I thought this hike also this month at the end but I think we are headed for Mammoth Cave to paddle the Green River, do an overnight hike in their backcountry and of course go down under. so Buena Vista-->Rockfish will probably be in June, we'll see.
Thanks again.