PDA

View Full Version : Meat TVP

Jayboflavin04
02-08-2009, 14:39
Can anyone give me some insite to this product. Is it tasty and how long does it take to rehydrate.

Tinker
02-08-2009, 16:22
Can anyone give me some insite to this product. Is it tasty and how long does it take to rehydrate.

You can find it right next to the "Fat Free 100% Natural Ice Cream".:rolleyes:

mister krabs
02-08-2009, 17:36
TVP is fine, it's what's in cheap frozen burritos. If you can eat those, you can eat TVP. It just takes a few minutes to rehydrate and cook with boiling water. Treat it like dried ground meat and use it in highly seasoned stew dishes.

Hikes in Rain
02-08-2009, 18:13
A word of caution, though. Most of the TVP I've used was soybean derived. Not that that's a bad thing. The ones I tried looked and tasted like meat, even got strands caught between those two molars just like meat. But if legumes affect you like they do me, well, let's just say you won't be popular and you'd better hope you packed a few extra baby wipes.

Other than that, it's good stuff!

sarbar
02-08-2009, 19:24
Don't use plain TVP - it has NO flavor! On other hand, the "beef" hamburger style is great - I prefer it over dried hamburger. The "ham" can be a bit strong tasting - but used in dishes it is good. Avoid the "chicken" stuff. It is OK in the small size, the chunks is pretty icky. Sausage TVP is just about the best though - you won't know it is not real.

I get most of mine from Harmony House Foods (they sell small packs for those not so sure on liking it).

Start with small portions - 2 Tbsp per person. Some tummies it can disagree with ;-) But as you get used to it you won't get bloated from it.

It is very shelf stable and light. As for rehydrating? 5 minutes, works well in FBC style meals and in one pot meals. Does not need to be cooked long at all.

Dogwood
02-08-2009, 19:28
Someone, please correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought all TVP was soybean derived.

Rehydrates within 10 mins. of sitting in hot water. I think some feeze dried and dehydrated Mountain House and Pantry Pride vegeterian selections have it as an ingredient. It has whatever flavor U give it. It has little flavor of its own. If I put some forms of it in Chili that I make instead of ground beef or turkey most carnivores wouldn't know it wasn't meat. U might want to try different flavors of Tempeh which is fermented soybean product.

Now, even though I tried not be judgemental with diets and tried to limit my post to answering the original question, who will be the first to post why being a vegeterian is going to harm someone or why eating meat is the way to live? We always seem to get into the pros/cons of dietary lifestyles when someone suggests not consuming an animal product. Always seems to eventually happen here. I know someone feels offended. Come on. I'm waiting.

Dogwood
02-08-2009, 19:58
I also ditto sarbar's recommendation to avoid the larger size pieces of TVP/soy protein chicken chunks. It has the texture of something between large chewy rubber bands and beef grizzle.

charlie2008
02-08-2009, 20:15
Don't use plain TVP - it has NO flavor! On other hand, the "beef" hamburger style is great - I prefer it over dried hamburger. The "ham" can be a bit strong tasting - but used in dishes it is good. Avoid the "chicken" stuff. It is OK in the small size, the chunks is pretty icky. Sausage TVP is just about the best though - you won't know it is not real.

I get most of mine from Harmony House Foods (they sell small packs for those not so sure on liking it).

Start with small portions - 2 Tbsp per person. Some tummies it can disagree with ;-) But as you get used to it you won't get bloated from it.

It is very shelf stable and light. As for rehydrating? 5 minutes, works well in FBC style meals and in one pot meals. Does not need to be cooked long at all.
-
So if I do add plain TVP to say, Chili or Sausage Gravy it just picks up whatever flavor you add it to or does it weaken the flavor. Sorry, if this off topic.

YoungMoose
02-08-2009, 20:16
You can find it right next to the "Fat Free 100% Natural Ice Cream".:rolleyes: lol i ,ist agree with that

Farr Away
02-08-2009, 22:55
-
So if I do add plain TVP to say, Chili or Sausage Gravy it just picks up whatever flavor you add it to or does it weaken the flavor. Sorry, if this off topic.

It picks up the flavor of whatever it's with. Quite often at home, I'll use 1/2 cup to a cup of it instead of hamburger in something like chili.

Not sure how well this would work backpacking, but here's a recipe to give you some ideas what plain tvp can do:

Barbecue TVP

1 cup plain tvp (the stuff that looks like gravel)
1 cup boiling water
3 Tablespoons dried or fresh onion
1 teaspoon soy sauce

Mix together and let sit about 10 minutes. Add:

3/4 cups barbecue sauce _OR_ 1/2 cup ketchup & 1/8 cup yellow mustard

Mix thoroughly and heat.

Serve it over bread or hamburger buns, and call it sloppy joes.

I've served it to carnivores, and they never knew they weren't eating hamburger.

Frick Frack
02-08-2009, 23:01
We used TVP for the dinners we made at the start of our sobo but after 2-3 months I do not care if I ever see it again....

mkmangold
02-09-2009, 01:18
A word of caution, though. Most of the TVP I've used was soybean derived. Not that that's a bad thing. The ones I tried looked and tasted like meat, even got strands caught between those two molars just like meat. But if legumes affect you like they do me, well, let's just say you won't be popular and you'd better hope you packed a few extra baby wipes.

Other than that, it's good stuff!

Oh, but it is a bad thing. Check this out (unless you like wearing a bra): http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_article/sports_body_training_performance_nutrition/soy_is_still_bad_protein

jrwiesz
02-09-2009, 01:28
A word of caution, ... if legumes affect you like they do me, well, let's just say you won't be popular and you'd better hope you packed a few extra baby wipes.

TVP is great however, if your on deck for fart baseball.:D

charlie2008
02-09-2009, 01:46
Oh, but it is a bad thing. Check this out (unless you like wearing a bra): http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_article/sports_body_training_performance_nutrition/soy_is_still_bad_protein
-
I do wear a bra. But then again, only on friday nights. :banana

sarbar
02-09-2009, 13:05
TVP is usually soybean derived but it can contain wheat gluten as well (often does) so buyer beware if you are avoiding wheat.

Dogwood
02-09-2009, 17:43
Thank U Sarbar.

JumpInTheLake
02-09-2009, 21:23

I've done a lot of reading on the subject, and I agree that soy should be avoided.

Tinker
02-09-2009, 21:33
I tried some of the products by this company:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quorn
back when I was a vegetarian (using dairy as well), and they weren't bad. The patties, if I remember correctly, was what I enjoyed the most.

theinfamousj
02-09-2009, 21:42
<3 TVP

As a vegetarian, I add it to practically everything to boost my protein intake. I love that it has no flavor, because I can supplement protein without altering the flavor of my tasty dish.

I recommend getting unflavored and tossing it in your already sauced/spiced dishes. It also goes well with spuds/ketchup for a lovely squeeze-n-eat breakfast. Just rip off the corner of the ziploc baggie and squeeze into your mouth.

On the other hand, ten years of vegetarianism have given me an acquired immunity from the windy effects of TVP.

Oh, and if you want something bigger than the bitty crumbles, check out the Delicious brand Soy Nuggets. They taste like nothing else you've ever had, but are really fantastic on their own. And they are pre-cooked. 'Round here you can find them in some Whole Foods locations, but not all.

sarbar
02-09-2009, 22:01
ooh, also good are the Bac'uns by Frontier Foods (http://www.frontiercoop.com/products.php?ct=dfmsf&cn=Bac%27Uns%26trade%3B). They are very good.

streakerofAT
02-09-2009, 22:11
whats tvp

Grinder
02-09-2009, 22:27
textured vegetable protein.