PDA

View Full Version : 1 Week trip suggestions

tensilversaxes
02-08-2009, 15:34
Hello all,
My friend and I are students from Canada who are trying to plan a one week trip for Mar 14 - 21, 2009.
Right now I am thinking GA or VA.

Questions:
1. Any suggestions for a tidy one week trip around 80-100mi in either of these states? We would be tenting it.
2. We would not have a car, are there shuttle services to be had?
3. Would heading north from Springer at this time of year just be crazy crowded?

I have heard that the climates in GA and VA would be comparable at this time of year because the GA sections are at a higher altitude. Thoughts?

Thanks everyone in advance!
Scott

Bearpaw
02-08-2009, 15:57
Hello all,
My friend and I are students from Canada who are trying to plan a one week trip for Mar 14 - 21, 2009.
Right now I am thinking GA or VA.

Questions:
1. Any suggestions for a tidy one week trip around 80-100mi in either of these states? We would be tenting it.
2. We would not have a car, are there shuttle services to be had?
3. Would heading north from Springer at this time of year just be crazy crowded?

I have heard that the climates in GA and VA would be comparable at this time of year because the GA sections are at a higher altitude. Thoughts?

Thanks everyone in advance!
Scott

1) Shenandoah National Park would be worth a look. It closely parallels Skyline Drive, so if you had problems, you would have a safe way out with easy access. I don't know the degree to which all the campgrounds/camp stores and waysides/restaurants would be open that time of year, but it would make for an easier walk with access to some civilized areas.

2) There is a shuttle service in Front Royal Virginia on the northern edge of the park, but you may have to get creative to get there. There is no bus line to there that I know of. You might need to get shuttled from Harper's Ferry to Front Royal as well.

3) Springer north is crawling with hikers near the shelters that time of year. The trail itself is not so terribly crowded. If you tent away from shelters, the trail will not be too much of a madhouse.

As for Georgia versus Virginia, southern Virginia is MUCH colder because the Mt. Rogers area gets up over 5000 feet. Shenandoah NP will be at least as cold, if not colder because it pushed up to 4000 feet, higher than any point in Georgia. Overall, SNP probably averages the same or just a touch lower than Georgia.

Mocs123
02-08-2009, 17:27
Most of it is in Tennessee-North Carolina, but what about Carvers Gap to Damascus, VA? This 87.7 mile trek would take you across Roan Highlands, past Laurel Fork Falls, and Wautuga Lake. It's one of my favorite sections. There are several shuttles operators around, including White Blazes own Lone Wolf, and of course don't forget Bob Peoples at Kincora Hostel.

Personally I would avoid Georgia during March and April as there will be tons of thru hikers starting. However, if you like company, it wouldn't be a bad time to do it. I also happen to think that North Carolina, Tennessee, and SW Virginia all offer prettier sections than those in Georgia.

Tinker
02-08-2009, 17:41
Do Georgia with all the starting thruhikers. I had a ton of fun doing it in 2006. Met lots of interesting folks. I enjoyed the rolling terrain, too. Don't forget to visit downtown :p Hiawassee and the Blueberry Patch hostel.
I got a ride from The Blueberry Patch hostel back to my car at Amicalola State Park from the folks at the Hiker Hostel in Dahlonega.
http://www.hikerhostel.com/

steve43
02-09-2009, 13:02
atkins va to damascus.... 75 miles... shuttle from damascus to adkins and hike back... great scenery, great hiking, nothing too difficult

fifo

whiterockjock
02-09-2009, 14:04
One week??? Do Shenandoah NP!!!!! Its a hand down one week best hike next to the Smokeys in my opinion!!!