PDA

View Full Version : A little stove help please......

Gentle Ben
02-09-2009, 00:05
I am still undecided on the right stove. The outfitter store at Neels Gap started me with an alcohol stove, but when I questioned the reliability in cold weather (I am leaving this weekend), they brought out a jet boil. The reliability and fast boil time seemed good to me in spite of the extra weight. Could someone share some pros and cons on both. Thanks from a 1st timer thru hiker.:-?

Gentle Ben

warraghiyagey
02-09-2009, 00:13
For sure jetboils are very reliable. . . but I've always used a pepsi can stove and HEET and never had a problem.

Ramble~On
02-09-2009, 00:14
I use both and there are pros and cons of each...BTU's vs/ weight etc etc
Search the threads here and you'll find all you need.

Mags
02-09-2009, 00:41
My view on stoves..

FWIW, I think the type of cold you will see on the Appalachian Trail from about this time of the year on will not be a real factor for alcohol stoves. JMO.

http://www.pmags.com/joomla/index.php/Backpacking-and-Hiking-documents/stove_comparison.html

Lilred
02-09-2009, 00:45
Have you checked out the pocket rocket? I use an alcohol stove and never had a problem with it and cold weather. I'm thinking of switching to the pocket rocket.

q-tip
02-09-2009, 20:47
I am leaving on March 4th and will use a jetboil for the trip. the weight is a pain, but the results are consistent.