PDA

View Full Version : low-key replacement for Hubba Hubba

anarky321
02-09-2009, 09:21
i have an MSR Hubba Hubba tent which i absolutely adore, but i desperately need something low-key, such as dark green or camo print, however none of the tents i looked at have anything even close to the 1-pole freestanding double-door design of the HH, at least not the dark green or camo ones, not to mention the same dimensions

can someone suggest a suitable replacement tent (something with very similar dimensions and ease of setup and double doors) or maybe a place where i can get a different colored fly for the HH (doesnt have to fit 100%)

also, could anyone identify this pack for me, i have a suspicion its a Kelty Tioga but im not sure

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=350163733417

thanks

KG4FAM
02-09-2009, 09:24
How abut the BA Emerald Mountain SL2
http://www.bigagnes.com/Products/Detail/Tent/EmeraldMountainSL2

Lyle
02-09-2009, 09:47
also, could anyone identify this pack for me, i have a suspicion its a Kelty Tioga but im not sure

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=350163733417

thanks

This pack appears to be a Kelty Sonora. Very similar to the late 70's, early 80's Tioga, but had the one long side pocket on the left, two shorter ones on the right. The Sonora also was both top loading, and panel loading. The pictures appear to have a horseshoe zipper on the front panel. Hard to tell from the pictures, contact the seller and ask for sure.

Live the Journey
02-09-2009, 10:27
If you're no taller then 6 feet, the REI quarter dome T2. Very similar to the Hubba Hubba in that it's almost all mesh, with a great full coverage fly with 2 doors and 2 vestibules...and the Fly is green.

skinewmexico
02-09-2009, 10:29
+1 on the REI, although I got the T3 for 2 people.

Vibe
02-09-2009, 12:39
Have you thought about just having someone sew you up a copy of the fly from the material of your choice? I've gotten nylon (could have been silnylon - not sure how to tell) and poly ripstop as well as poly/cotton ripstop from our local WalMart off the $1.50/yard shelf. The poly ripstop was in a OD Green, and the poly cotton was in a digital camo.

anarky321
02-09-2009, 13:46
getting a custom camo fly made looks like the optimal solution to me at this point; both of the tents suggested are very worth replacements but i dont like the fly coloring for some reason

wouldnt i have to waterproof the material with urethane if i just bought it off the shelf?

i called the local sewing shop and will take it down there tomorrow to have them look at the design see if they can make a replica

also - the seller of the backpack has no idea what it is, i just thought it looked enough like a Tioga to fit my needs and i like the color

Vibe
02-09-2009, 13:54
wouldnt i have to waterproof the material with urethane if i just bought it off the shelf?

Probably, though I don't know of any DIY urethane products. I was able to scrounge a few gallons of "scrap" "ScotchGard" material from the local LazyBoy dealer and am going to try and soak my tarp material in it thoroughly before my next test outing. A good soaking I'm hoping should last for at least a week of use before needing reapplied...maybe longer, but right now I'm not going to count on it.

Lyle
02-09-2009, 13:59
also - the seller of the backpack has no idea what it is, i just thought it looked enough like a Tioga to fit my needs and i like the color

Just ask him if it has a zippered, panel in the front to access the main compartment. If it does, it's a Sonora, if it doesn't it's a Tioga (they also eventually went with one long pocket on one side, but they were never panel loading).

Either way, it would be a good pack if it's in good condition. Both the Tioga and Sonora used the same "Massif" frame.

That color was fairly popular back then. Had a friend who bought matching material from Kelty to make custom stuff sacks and a guitar cover for his "Kelty Expedition" pack - talk about a monster!.

riceNbeans
02-09-2009, 14:15
That is NOT a Tioga. I had one and that ain't it.

Lyle
02-09-2009, 14:20
Tiogas have changed several times over the years. I have two from roughly the same time period and there are substantial differences.

Franco
02-09-2009, 19:54
Anarky321
I would be very surprised if you can have a replica of the HH fly made for less than the price of a new tent. But let us know.
Franco

Tinker
02-09-2009, 22:51
I have the Walrus version of this:
http://www.rei.com/product/724388
Since the Walrus rainfly was so small, I decided to throw a 10x12 foot Equinox tarp over it for summer use. The tarp was more than enough coverage, a nice color, and could be propped up with hiking poles to form a porch over the entrance.
Should work with your tent, too. The plus is that you can tie the tarp off between two trees in the rain and set the tent up under it without getting it wet.