PDA

View Full Version : Help needed in the Smokies-Mar 14

Digger'02
02-09-2009, 10:24
Hey yall, we need some able backs to be part of a team that will carry a tool box up to silers, it'll be 20 people rotating 15 carrying spots for a couple miles! fun! PM me if you're able.

Lone Wolf
02-09-2009, 10:32
why not use horses

Ramble~On
02-09-2009, 10:43
Wouldn't it be easier to carry it down to Silers rather than up?
Isn't Clingman's Dome to Silers something like 4-5 miles?
Is this toolbox really huge or heavy ?

Ox97GaMe
02-09-2009, 11:24
The tool box is approx 6 ft long x 3 ft high x 3 ft wide. It is made of steel and will weigh in at around 100 lbs. The SMHC will be selecting the shortest/easiest route to get this into the location, which is likely to be from Clingman's Dome. That would be a distance of approx 4.5 miles each way. However, that trail is narrow in a couple places between Clingman's and Double Springs. That may not be conducive (ie. not safe) to carrying a large object. The tool boxes are too large/bulky to pack in on stock animals.

The other item that would be questionable would be weather this time of year. The road to Clingman's is closed each winter from Dec 1 - Mar 1. If the road is not opened yet as of the 15th, then an alternate route or alternate date would need to be identified.

Rockhound
02-09-2009, 11:37
If you can pick me up & drop me off at Standing Bear I'll be happy to help.

Biloxi
02-09-2009, 12:38
Hey ,I will help..not sure where I will be exactly on that date though..I start on the 4th so if I am anywhere near I would definetly help.could anyone help me out and tell me about what mile of the AT this will be...still waiting for my app pages to get here....thanks:)

Rockhound
02-09-2009, 15:50
You're talking almost 200 miles. 20 miles a day for 10 straight days north from Springer would be a little too much to ask.

Digger'02
02-18-2009, 15:18
oops, I meant campsite 113 (Birch Spring) not Silers (the silers tool box was fixed last year) we'll be going up 20 mile because of the better grade.

We have talked about horses, but have chose to go this route for a number of reasons that I won't get into.

Thanks everyone! if you're interested in helping, PM me. I am sorry, but I don't think I can pick anyone up outside the Asheville/sylva/maggie valley/bryson city/fontana village area.