PDA

View Full Version : Lightweight, waterproof, breathable rain jacket

Mooselook Marty
02-09-2009, 11:10
Hi all,
I was out hiking yesterday in a cold rain that turned to sleet and snow. My Marmot Precip did a nice job in shedding external moisture, but trapped my sweat something fierce, even with the pit zips wide open.

Was wondering if you had any recommendations for a ightweight and waterproof rain jacket that breathes well, especially in cold, humid conditions.

Thanks and best regards,
Marty

garlic08
02-09-2009, 12:00
No such thing in my experience, no technological marvel or magic bullet. Sweat control and keeping a dry layer is paramount in those conditions. Jak will get on soon and tell us about the marvels of wool, I'm sure!:)

bigcranky
02-09-2009, 12:11
Having tried a variety of different jackets, I have come to the conclusion that "waterproof" and "breathable" is a tough combination, especially for people who sweat a lot (like me.)

I look at it like this: if I am hiking uphill in cool or even cold weather, and all I have on is my base layer, I'm going to be sweating. Adding any sort of jacket on top of the base layer is hardly going to stop me from sweating, and there is no magic fabric that will suck the moisture out and vent it.

So in cool, wet weather, the rain shell does a nice job of keeping me warm, but I still get wet from sweat. So, warm but wet. Even with all the vents and pit zips open. That's why I have dry clothes for camp.

That said, I have had one hiker tell me that the eVent jacket from Integral Designs allowed him to hike uphill with a pack and remain dry. But I'm not convinced that he sweats as much as I do.

Lyle
02-09-2009, 13:45
Best compromise I've found are FrogToggs/DriDucks or the like. They are pretty much water proof, but are the best breathing rain gear that I have used. Better than most of the "Waterproof/Breathable" miracle fabrics. They are cheap, light, but require some care as they are not as durable as the nylon based garments.

That said, they will last for a long time, and you can afford to replace them if disaster strikes. Give em a try, as BigCranky said, your comfort level will depend on your own metabolism. Slowing down will also help keep you from sweating out.

RememberYourZen
02-09-2009, 13:59
I've got a GoLite Phantom that has been pretty good as far as breathability. It's got features out the wa-zoo to try and facilitate that..pit-zips, two different pocket zips, etc.

Waterproof is not a problem, its gore-tex paclite. got it from campsaver, they had em on sale. The phantasm is even cheaper, but has less features

JAK
02-09-2009, 14:24
No such thing in my experience, no technological marvel or magic bullet. Sweat control and keeping a dry layer is paramount in those conditions. Jak will get on soon and tell us about the marvels of wool, I'm sure!:)Wear a 5 pound wool sweater and you don't need no rain jacket. If its cold enough, ice will form and keep the rain out. If your still cold, grab a sheep.

garlic08
02-09-2009, 14:34
Wear a 5 pound wool sweater and you don't need no rain jacket. If its cold enough, ice will form and keep the rain out. If your still cold, grab a sheep.

Good one! Ever spend time in Wyoming?

BrianLe
02-09-2009, 15:06
I realize that you said "jacket" and I intend no thread drift, but in case you've never tried one, you might try the poncho approach, particularly if there's a chance you could sometimes be content using it as your shelter at night. Plus it serves as a pack cover.

Tinker
02-09-2009, 15:13
Hi all,
I was out hiking yesterday in a cold rain that turned to sleet and snow. My Marmot Precip did a nice job in shedding external moisture, but trapped my sweat something fierce, even with the pit zips wide open.

Was wondering if you had any recommendations for a ightweight and waterproof rain jacket that breathes well, especially in cold, humid conditions.

Thanks and best regards,
Marty

Hey, Marty. How's "Bawxfid"? (From a former resident of "Tooksberry" [Tewksbury]).
I haven't found any of the miracle stuff, either.
www.integraldesigns.com (http://www.integraldesigns.com) has a few jacket styles made of eVent material. Too rich for my tastes, but reviews rate it as excellent, both in breathability and waterproofness.
Check them out and read the online reviews. I, personally, have begun to use my poncho even in the winter, since I believe that ventilation is a better way to minimize sweating. It doesn't work so well in the hood area, however.

Mooselook Marty
02-09-2009, 17:45
Thanks for all the great replies so far :cool:

They made me realize I should probably clarify my hiking situation a bit.

My problem with condensation lies primarily in the winter months. Frogg Toggs is my three season trail choice. I hike in the White Mts. and Maine, where the snow gets up to 6-7 feet deep, which means I am hiking in the trees. Branches are usually not cleared up that high on the trails and I am frequently encountering sharp branches. My fear is that they would rip my Frogg Toggs jacket to shreds. The Marmot Precip has some shortcomings, but one of them is not durability, IMHO.

Regarding ponchos, I fear that they might become a sail if I hike above treeline in winter. I have encountered winds that have propelled people off their feet when lifting up a snowshoe. :eek:

In short, I may be searching for the Holy Grail: to get a lightweight, reasonably durable, waterproof and breathable jacket. Maybe eVENT is the answer, although I would be hard pressed to justify the cost.

I will check out the GoLite Phantom. If that doesn't work out, maybe I will just carry a replacement mid layer or buy lots of Frogg Toggs....:-?

Any other ideas folks?

Thanks and Best Regards,
Marty

George
02-09-2009, 18:01
I mostly use red ledge campmor+others not great but reasonable ,light and durable

sticks&stones
02-09-2009, 18:11
I tried shell after shell, and with the exception of straight up gor-tex (in winter or cold) I never found anything that worked to my satisfaction, til I tried a softshell. it passed every test, even the humidity one for me. if it's well above freezeing it's comfortable right over bare skin.

Slo-go'en
02-09-2009, 18:30
My old, now beat up, Gortex shell keept me the dryest inside during winter. Once I noticed some frost inside the bottom of the jacket and thought that was unusual, then I found out it was -25 out! My can of Coke was a bit slushy too. The new Patagonia shell made of some supposably breathable stuff I have now is dripping wet when I take it off. I think I'll have to look for another true gortex, unlined jacket.

YoungMoose
02-09-2009, 19:56
never expierenced a actuall breathable jacket. they do cool my off but i am always wet with sweat still.

Kerosene
02-09-2009, 20:25
I have had one hiker tell me that the eVent jacket from Integral Designs allowed him to hike uphill with a pack and remain dry. But I'm not convinced that he sweats as much as I do.I've an eVent convert and believe that it definitely performs better than Gore-tex and other laminates across a broader range of temperature and humidity. That said, given enough exertion you'll get warm enough to sweat like you're in a sauna. It's just that it takes a lot more exertion, so at least I can moderate my pace a little better.

I believe that I've read that Gore-tex is supposed to perform very well under colder conditions, but I can't say that I've tested enough to verify that claim.

WILLIAM HAYES
02-09-2009, 20:29
integral designs Event rain jacket -best breathable jacket on the market in my judgement

Deadeye
02-09-2009, 21:48
You can balance waterproof and breathable while you're sipping Starbucks at a sidewalk cafe. IMHO, the fabric that can handle the volume of water vapor generated by a moving hiker in the rain has yet to be invented.

Mongoose2
02-09-2009, 22:30
Hi all,

Thanks and best regards,
Marty

Mooselock; If I am moving I heat up quick! No jacket has worked for me except the Frogg Togg, and it is surprisingly tough to tear. I wear a wicking layer and the Frogg Togg, and stay toasty in very cold conditions. When I stop I throw a fleece on.....

RememberYourZen
02-10-2009, 14:25
If you're interested in eVent fabric, the company Rab makes some pretty great jackets. I've got a friend who swears by eVent, though I haven't made the switch yet, as goretex does just fine for me

Blissful
02-10-2009, 14:36
Agree - nothing vents well hiking.

boarstone
02-10-2009, 16:15
No...but as soon as one is found let me know! I want one!