PDA

View Full Version : Hilltop House Hotel

Tilly
02-09-2009, 11:13
I was excited to go through Harper's Ferry this year, as I love the park, and I love Hilltop House! I really love that hotel, I don't think I've ever been in one like it, one that you can get lost in! Huge rooms, old & interesting windows & architecture, beer downstairs, a nice view, and a good hiker rate!

I got a 2009 copy of the Appalachian Pages, and Hilltop House isn't listed as a place to stay! I looked it up, and they have gotten bought out and are closed for renovation for a few years:(. I'm glad they are not going under but I was really looking forward to staying there.

Where else is there to stay in the park itself? I don't want to camp at the KOA or stay at the Quality Inn if I can help it.

yappy
02-09-2009, 11:16
that IS a great hotel. I am glad I stayed there before they decided to " renovate " it... we usually know what that mean... generic. I hope not. We are losing way to much these days.

Rockhound
02-09-2009, 11:34
There's a Hostels International about a mile north of town.

Skyline
02-09-2009, 12:16
I was excited to go through Harper's Ferry this year, as I love the park, and I love Hilltop House! I really love that hotel, I don't think I've ever been in one like it, one that you can get lost in! Huge rooms, old & interesting windows & architecture, beer downstairs, a nice view, and a good hiker rate!

I got a 2009 copy of the Appalachian Pages, and Hilltop House isn't listed as a place to stay! I looked it up, and they have gotten bought out and are closed for renovation for a few years:(. I'm glad they are not going under but I was really looking forward to staying there.

Where else is there to stay in the park itself? I don't want to camp at the KOA or stay at the Quality Inn if I can help it.

As I understand it, when the Hilltop House finally reopens it will be a relatively expensive, trendy boutique hotel and restaurant. Probably not what hikers will be seeking, or many can afford.

In addition to the Quality Inn up on the highway, there is the Comfort Inn much closer to the AT near the Shenandoah River bridge. Also the Town's Inn hostel or some B&Bs right in HF, or the Harpers Ferry Hostel (actually in Maryland in Sandy Hook).

shoe
02-09-2009, 13:33
There is Town's Inn hostel right near the outfitters in town

Lyle
02-09-2009, 13:50
As I understand it, when the Hilltop House finally reopens it will be a relatively expensive, trendy boutique hotel and restaurant. Probably not what hikers will be seeking, or many can afford.

How sad. I've stayed here several times in their "hiker rooms", and enjoyed each stay. Sorry to hear that the 5 star class will be taking it over. Suppose the Doyle will be next... :(

the goat
02-09-2009, 14:07
How sad. I've stayed here several times in their "hiker rooms", and enjoyed each stay. Sorry to hear that the 5 star class will be taking it over. Suppose the Doyle will be next... :(

are you insinuating that the doyle isn't 5 star?

Lyle
02-09-2009, 14:26
Oh, of course not!!!! It's just that the 5-star crown hasn't discovered it yet.