PDA

View Full Version : JMT Hike

mtnkngxt
02-09-2009, 11:22
Well was planning on doing a PCT hike in '11, but now I'm thinking it would be much better to do a JMT trip August of next year.

Alot of the JMT sites I've tried visiting are down or haven't been updated in over a year.

I'm looking for any info people are willing to share.

Weather, Gear....

I've read up on the permits and the logistics of getting from Fresno to Yosemite and then back to Fresno.

How much did you alot cost wise for the trip?

I just want to fly in hike and then fly out.

MOWGLI
02-09-2009, 11:29
Well was planning on doing a PCT hike in '11, but now I'm thinking it would be much better to do a JMT trip August of next year.

Alot of the JMT sites I've tried visiting are down or haven't been updated in over a year.

I'm looking for any info people are willing to share.

Weather, Gear....

I've read up on the permits and the logistics of getting from Fresno to Yosemite and then back to Fresno.

Ask the questions that you want answers to. A number of folks here have hiked the JMT including me, Sly, Mags, Cookerhiker, Marta, and others.

Google YARTS for more info on bus service into Yosemite. Some hikers get to the trail via Merced. Buses and trains leave San Francisco to Merced daily. Also, you can get to Yosemite from Reno. There is bus service in the Eastern Sierra that will take you from Lone Pine or Bishop to Reno, or south to LA if you prefer. So there are any number of ways to get in & out of the area aside from Fresno.

JohnF
02-09-2009, 11:38
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/johnmuirtrail/

Great source of info from active JMT users.

Sly
02-09-2009, 11:43
August will probably be busy. Better reserve a permit. I think you can up to 24 weeks in advance. Website is under maintenance but, here's the online reservation link.

https://www.yosemitesecure.org/wildpermit/

Harrison maps

http://www.amazon.com/John-Muir-Trail-Map-Pack-Shaded/dp/1877689343

You could probably start with only 2 days of food and buy to Vermillion Valley Resort in Toulemne Meadows.

VVR charges $18 to hold a package since they need to drive it in.

http://edisonlake.com/site/content/view/25/42/

The boat to and from also cost about the same but you can hike in over Goodale Pass and out over Bear Ridge.

mtnkngxt
02-09-2009, 11:48
Ok....

Planning on hiking Leaving July 10th 2010 and being back in VA by August 16th 2010.

Weather related? What temps can I expect in general and what type of precipitation?

Cost Wise would 1500 dollars cover the trip before travel expenses?

Is an Ice Axe neccessary. I know how to use one and have one, wondering whether during this part of the year whether it would be neccessary to carry one.

Bear canisters. I know you have to have one, so would one of the Plastic see through Bear Vaults more particularly the 500solo be sufficient. How many days can I expect between resupplies?

Blazing and trail markings? Is it well marked like parts of the AT or is it more like the CDT and map and compass need to be relied on heavily?

How much water should one carry? What is the water situation like?

As far as Gear goes

ULA Catalyst
WM Summerlite though I think I may need a warmer bag?
Etowah Outfitters Tarp
Zrest Pad
Have a hammock setup, but have heard finding trees to hang from can be scarce in places
Petzl Ice Axe
Kahtoohla Micro Spikes
Bear Vault 500
Alcohol Stove settup
Capilene Base layers
Patagonia Down Jacket
Rain Pants and Jacket

Basically my AT setup minus the hammock and adding the Ice Axe, Micro Spikes, and Bear Canister.

Am I missing any big ticket items?

MOWGLI
02-09-2009, 11:59
$1500 is more than enough, unless you want to spend time in LA, Reno or San Fran.

Weather? July is generally dry, but you could get a storm or two. Freezing temps at night. Highs in the 80s during the day.

Ice axe shouldn't be needed. A bear can will. I used the BV500 for me and my daughter. That's overkill for the solo hiker. You can rent a can cheap at Yosemite.

The trail is well signed - but not blazed. Buy the Harrison maps. If you can read a map, you'll have no problem.

Water should be plentiful. There was one 6-7 mile section with no water last year. We cameled up. Not an issue. Again, look at the maps and carry what you think you need.

Resupply places?
Tuolumne Meadows - 2-3 days from Yosemite Valley
Reds Meadow - 3-5 days from Tuolumne Meadows.
VVR - 2-3 days from Reds Meadow.
Muir Trail Ranch - 2-3 days from VVR.
The longest haul is from Muir Trail Ranch to Lone Pine. That could be 7-10 days depending on your pace. You can also walk out at Bishop Pass and resupply in Bishop, or Kearsage Pass and resupply in Independence.

I resupplied in Mono Hot Springs last year instead of VVR. That skipped some mileage on the JMT but made for an interesting trip from my thru-hike in 2006.

Sly
02-09-2009, 12:13
I wouldn't depend on resupplying in Red's Meadow, since it's mostly canned or jarred camper food but the restaurant is pretty good as is the one at Toulemne Meadows whose store is fine for resupply.

VVR can get expensive (food, drink) even with a free nights stay, but it should be visited at least once. Some people love it, other think it's way over priced. With your budget it won't be a problem.

After travel expenses, I wouldn't expect to spend much over $500 and that includes a party for yourself in Lone Pine.

MOWGLI
02-09-2009, 12:19
I wouldn't depend on resupplying in Red's Meadow, since it's mostly canned or jarred camper food but the restaurant is pretty good as is the one at Toulemne Meadows whose store is fine for resupply.

VVR can get expensive (food, drink) even with a free nights stay, but it should be visited at least once. Some people love it, other think it's way over priced. With your budget it won't be a problem.

After travel expenses, I wouldn't expect to spend much over $500 and that includes a party for yourself in Lone Pine.

Sly, you can send a package to Reds. Or take the bus into Mammoth from Reds. I sent myself a package in '06 and rode the bus into Mammoth last year. Mammoth has a great supermarket (Vans) and the bus is cheaper than sending a package to Reds. Nice restaurants in Mammoth too. I wouldn't overlook that option.

Sly
02-09-2009, 12:27
Right, I was going to mention Mammoth, shuttles are cheap/free. Personally, I'd just do Valley> TM> VVR> out.

MOWGLI
02-09-2009, 12:32
Right, I was going to mention Mammoth, shuttles are cheap/free. Personally, I'd just do Valley> TM> VVR> out.

They ain't free shuttles into Mammoth. The bus from Reds to the ski resort is a fee. The bus from the resort to town is free. Then there are town shuttles that are free. All in all, it takes 3 buses to get from Reds to the Supermarket.
It is much cheaper than paying the postage plus $25 to Reds to hold your package. Plus, you can buy fresh food instead of packaged crap.

Sly
02-09-2009, 12:33
In '05 I met a person that spent the night in TM before starting and carried all their food (to VVR) back up instead of stashing in one of the bear boxes at the backpacker camp ground at TM. They were a strong hiker and did it in a day but, to me, it was kind of crazy to needlessly carry the food up from the Valley when they were there the day before.

Sly
02-09-2009, 12:35
They ain't free shuttles into Mammoth. The bus from Reds to the ski resort is a fee. The bus from the resort to town is free. Then there are town shuttles that are free.

Yeah, one cheap shuttle (to the ski resort) and a free shuttle (from there) to get into town. That's what I said.

Added: IIRC correctly you can just hop on the shuttle from Red's to the Ski resort (for free) and pay on the way back at the resort.

mtnkngxt
02-09-2009, 12:56
Oh wow thats a hell of a deal, I figured it would cost alot more than 1500. I've never been to the West Coast.

I'll plan to head out early to mid July. Flying from Tri-Cities in TN to one of the airports, with gas prices back up round trip airfare should cost me about 550 I'm planning on trying to spend no more than 2250 for the whole trip before Gear purchases.

I'm going to pick up a WM Ultralight or another 20 degree down bag.

Also pick up a new Alcohol stove same model as I'm using now but to avoid BS with TSA agents.

Probably pick up a Henry Shires or Six Moons Design Tarp Tent.

Then with those kinds of resupply mileages get a bear vault 450Solo.

Now anyone want to Go?:banana

Sly
02-09-2009, 13:16
Bring deet.

grizzlyadam
02-09-2009, 13:26
Now anyone want to Go?:banana

sure. if you're paying :)

mtnkngxt
02-09-2009, 17:39
Lol should have expected that. So far I have one other person commited to the hike.

Anyone know where I can find one of the UL trail stools? With having such a light pack weight I'd like to have atleast one luxury item.

Also anyone know any sites where I could get a deal on a Digital Rebel or other SLR camera. Not looking for professional quality, but I've heard not taking a decent camera to take pics of the Sierra Nevadas with is a crime.

Sly
02-09-2009, 17:56
Bear canisters can double as trail stools.

Dogwood
02-09-2009, 19:23
If U find your trip is becoming expensive flying into Fresno from VA, as Mowgli said, try flying into San Fran, then take a bus or the train to Merced and catch, I believe the YARTS bus, to Yosemite Valley. Stay at the backpacker campground(cheap and in a quieter location) not too far from the Ahwahnee Hotel and a short free Yosemite Valley bus ride to the start of the JMT in Yosemite Valley at the Happy Isles TH. If U have never been to Yosemite NP I strongly suggest U spend a day in the valley before U start the JMT. Lots to see and appreciate there. I know the crowds at that time of yr. will be stacked up, but it's well worth it, IMO, particularly if it's your first time to Yosemite. There is a PO that U can mail stuff to within walking distance of the backpackers CG if U don't want to haul it all on the plane or U have issues carrying fuel or knives on the plane. Hit the buffet for a pre hike cal fest and get that last shower in before U hit the trail. That's what I did from Hawaii and saved a lot of money doing it that way.

U will probably find all the beta U could need on the JMT in Guide to the JMT by Thomas Winnett and Kathy Morey. Unless U plan hiking off trail or U want to identify peaks and such the maps in the book R all U will need to stay on the trail. The trail is easy to follow. I bought and carried all the quads for Inyo Nat Forest, Yosemite NP, Sequoia/Kings Canyon NP, and the John Muir Wilderness - WAY OVERKILL. But, I do have them for the HSR this fall.

I never thought of it that way, but it's cheaper to go into Mammoth from Reds Meadow than mailing a package there. Although, U will lose some time getting into /out of Mammoth. But, Mammoth is one of the best towns along the JMT to take a break. It has all of what a thru-hiker usually wants, including a decent outfitter, all within walking distance. Bishop is another one of those towns great for a thru-hiker, but it requires a greater hike to get in and out of, although I've never had a problem getting a ride from Bishop Pass near the marina, particularly during the time of yr U R hiking. I think Dusy Basin is beautiful in itself.

20* down bag - great, tarp or tarptent - great, water - not usually an issue, unless U R really uncomfortable walking on snow and there was a high snow yr and it didn't melt and... - U will probably not need an ice axe or heavy crampons(probably no crampons) during mid-late Aug, bug dope - an absolute must(strongly consider bringing something like a sea to summit head net too), trail runners R fine if that's what U hike in, heavy boots R not required if U stay on the trail, sun protection(sunglasses and sunscreen) for when/if U do encounter snowfields or simply because U R at a higher elev.,

Hike from north to south. U have more time to adjust to the gradually increasing elev. and U R not starting your hike carrying a fully loaded pack up to the highest pt. near/on the JMT, Mt Whitney. And, yes, of course U will climb Mt Whitney; get it included on your permit.

Oh yeah, as far as the shelter, U could go with a hammock, but I will bet U that U will find a campsite with that awesome view that U just can't pass up, but there will be no trees or rocks to hang from. All fine to cowboy there IF the weather stays nice, which it probably will during Aug. in the Sierra, but fronts and lightning can blow through in Aug. IMO, bring along a tarp or tarptent.

I do a lot of pre-hike preparation reducing the bulk and wt of my trail food and I can only put about 6 days(6 breakfasts(oatmeal concoctions or something like a Pro Bar), no lunches(just constant snacking all day long), and 6 dehydrated or freeze dried dinners) - 20-22 oz/ day in a BV 450 solo.

Bring a fully carged and loaded camera! The JMT has some of the best scenery of any trail in the country!

Dogwood
02-09-2009, 19:24
Bring a fully charged and loaded camera!

mtnkngxt
02-10-2009, 08:42
I plan to. Hopefully will pick a 10megapixel EOS REBEL Digital and probably 1 filter.

MOWGLI
02-10-2009, 09:05
I plan to. Hopefully will pick a 10megapixel EOS REBEL Digital and probably 1 filter.

I usually carry an extra fully charged battery. In 08, I carried an extra battery and a cord to recharge the camera, which I did at Reds Meadow.

Jester2000
02-12-2009, 17:46
. . .and resupply in Independence.

Keep in mind that the grocery store in Independence is closed, but there are some nice little motels in Independence. I like Independence as a stop, as it gets you a little farther down the trail than going out to Bishop. But mail yourself something there, as the gas station convenience stores may not do it for you.

I also highly recommend the Harrison Maps. Keep your eyes peeled for the split from the PCT at Thousand Islands Lake and you won't have any other navigation problems (most likely . . .)

Dogwood
02-12-2009, 20:07
I went into Independence by going out through Kearsarge Pass while hiking north on the PCT in 08. The PO there is not open on Sat. If U R intent on going there the motel(sorry don't remember the name ) may hold a package for U if U stay at the motel. The bus runs through Independence so U can take it further north to someplace like Bishop, where they have everything, or south to Ridgecrest, where they have most of what a thru hiker wants. One thing that I forgot in my previous post is that U could also consider a bivy as a shelter option. It seems a light wt. WP or water resistant bivy w/ a headnet could be ideal for the conditions on the JMT during Aug.

Marta
02-13-2009, 22:06
My $.02:

1) Fly in and out of Reno. Easy bus transport to and from there.

2) I also used a 20 degree bag, Tarptent, alcohol stove. Getting alcohol was not a problem.

3) Resupply points I used were Tuolumne Meadows, Mammoth Lakes, and Muir Trail Ranch. I made an unplanned stop at VVR, and enjoyed it. I also made an unplanned stop at Charlotte Lakes, and got more food there--some of the folks who had gotten off the trail had had food sent there, and let us get what we wanted.

4) I went the whole way with three camera batteries (my camera takes proprietary batteries and I didn't want to carry the charging apparatus) and a couple of picture cards. Took 1500 photos. Could have taken lots more.

5) Weather was unbelievably good. Didn't actually need rain gear. Never used pack cover.

6) Need bear canister. I used BV400. Cheapest option is to rent.

7) Not a lot of opportunities to spend money, since you don't spend much time in town.

8) Start calling for the permit on the first possible day. I tried the internet reservation system without success. That was in '07, though, and it may have improved.

9) Ditto what everyone else is saying about the Tom Harris maps.

ChrisM
02-20-2009, 17:18
There are real cheap flights to San Jose right now from the East Coast and Midwest (amtrak to Merced). I found one from Indy to SJC for $217 with tax!

Don't forget kayak.com

Helmuth.Fishmonger
02-27-2009, 13:35
start here for info - this page is pretty up to date and has most info you need

http://www.backpack45.com/johnmuirtrail.html

I've done the trail many times and spent about 8 summers bouncing around on trails in the same region of the Sierras. Currently I am planning to go back for a yo-yo trip this summer. My kids decided they wanted to become the youngest hikers on record to do a self-supplied yo-yo, silly bunch...

probably the best forum to ask questions about local conditions, weather, etc is over here, even though it appears to be focusing on Mt. Whitney, you pretty much can talk about the entire region:

http://www.whitneyportalstore.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/ubb/postlist/Board/1/page/1

Helmuth.Fishmonger
02-27-2009, 13:41
8) Start calling for the permit on the first possible day. I tried the internet reservation system without success. That was in '07, though, and it may have improved.

this only applies of you hike the thing south-north. Rather silly direction in my view, with the heaviest pack and hardest climbs at the beginning, the highlight of the trip Mt. Whitney (at least for me that's the climax) at the beginning and then only less and less exciting stuff as you head north, with passes getting lower and lower.

Start in the north, work your way up, and get a permit as a walk-in on the day of your hike. Most hikes also skip the section from Yosemite Valley to Tuolumne Meadows, where walk-in permits are no problem. Last summer on July 11, I got a 3 person permit at 11am at the Tuolumne Meadows Ranger station.

OHBob
02-27-2009, 14:17
Concerning the flight out, a couple of people on the John Muir forum on Yahoo suggested I fly into Sacremento, then take the Amtrak to Yosemite. It costs about $35 to take the Amtrak to Merced, then connect with the bus to Yosemite (just one fee to Amrtrak covers it) plus the flight into Sacramento was cheaper than San Francisco or Fresno; the flight into Reno was the most expensive when I checked. Also, there seemed to be fewer connections this way to worry about by going into Sacramento.

I'm planning my trip for this summer also.

Sly
02-27-2009, 14:37
I went into Independence by going out through Kearsarge Pass while hiking north on the PCT in 08. The PO there is not open on Sat. If * * intent on going there the motel(sorry don't remember the name ) may hold a package for * if * stay at the motel.

Independence Courthouse Motel.

The Kearsarge Pass Trail is awesome. However, it's a lot of work hiking the trail, and getting in and out of town for a resupply with only a few days left.

You should also consider flying back from Reno. The CREST bus that goes right to the airport.

http://easternsierratransitauthority.com/wb/pages/bus-routes/crest-north-lone-pine-reno.php

Bear Cables
04-18-2009, 17:28
Reading this tread has me also asking some questions. When flying in and not being able to bring your fuel such as msr or giga power , where at the start of JMT can you purchase the fuel?

Pacific Tortuga
04-18-2009, 17:53
Reading this tread has me also asking some questions. When flying in and not being able to bring your fuel such as msr or giga power , where at the start of JMT can you purchase the fuel?

Yo Valley, Lone Pine/Bishop and ?

Helmuth.Fishmonger
04-20-2009, 10:23
you can even buy fuel right at the Muir Trail ranch on the trail (last summer $4 a canister), and at Reds Meadows Resort.