PDA

View Full Version : Solo tent purchase

RememberYourZen
02-09-2009, 14:03
Hey all,

I know lots of threads have been made about solo tents (did my fair share of reading through them last night), but I'm not trying to break the bank on my solo tent purchase. I've heard lots of great things about sierra design's light year tent. Problem is, I've gone cheap on a crawl-in tent or two and have been soaked in a downpour. Might end up doing a month or so on the trail here in the near future and would like some help

How is this tent in terms of keeping you dry in heavy rain? Any suggestions?

The Seedhouse is the next one up in my price range probably. I think i can find em on ebay for around 150 including shipping. Pretty sure the hubba is out though. Thanks guys!

Tinker
02-09-2009, 15:24
As long as a tent has a fly long enough to cover the breathable inner material and overlap the bathtub floor a bit (and doesn't flap in the wind allowing rain to hit the breathable material), and has a floor with at least a 2,000 mm. coating (more is better, but heavier), and the fly and floor seams are waterproof or taped, wetness shouldn't be an issue. I've owned two Sierra Designs Tents. One was bought in the 1980s and one in the late 1990s. Both needed to be seam sealed (before they started taping the seams). Neither have had any problems with water seepage or drips.

The new Lightyear has a lot more (basically, all) mesh in the inner tent. The old design was a little stuffy on warm nights according to some reviews.

RememberYourZen
02-09-2009, 15:51
Good info

I'd be leaving around the middle of march so i'd probably only have to deal with potentially warm nights for a week or two..since I can't do the whole trail.

As for the long-term, i wonder if the stuffiness is something to get alarmed about, as I dont really sleep too hot. I'm sure the new design accounts for that though

BackTrack1
02-09-2009, 17:17
I just bought a REI quarter dome UL yesterday online, on sale for 159.00, supposed to be a really good tent and water proof too. according to all of the reveiws
weighs 4lb 4 oz. though
ill be useing it for me and my daughter on the LT this summer,

Ramble~On
02-09-2009, 17:35
For 2009 they've put out the Lightning XT one,two and three man..
Most places I've seen have the Lightning on sale - cheap.
There have been a number of people on here and other sites with good things to say about this tent. 2 pole, quick pitch, huge door, palace for one person at 30 sq ft.

sixhusbands
02-09-2009, 17:42
I have the seedhouse 1 and it is a solid tent ( a little tight) but it made it through a six week trek in Nepal and the rain forests of Kauii. I use a footprint ( a peice of Tyvek) and never had issues with rain coming in through the floor. I got mine for $125 on ebay.

good luck