PDA

View Full Version : shoe question

Biloxi
02-09-2009, 15:08
sorry if this has been covered, but I can't find it if it has. I was wondering how many (avg) pairs of shoes do most hikers go through on there hike (THRU HIKE) I have 5 pair ready..was just trying to see if that's enough..I figure 3-4.but 5 to be safe..I have a pair of saucony that have way over 500 on them and are still good..I do take care of my shoes well on trail..ie..clean them when possible,don't go crashing through rocks...you're feet are what get you there..any comments or suggestions helpful..thanks :)

Tinker
02-09-2009, 15:53
I've been told by thruhikers that often your feet swell over one full size and change shape as well after you've gone a couple hundred miles or more. I haven't hiked that far in one continuous trip, so I can't confirm that. If it's true, buying several pair of shoes beforehand in the same size might not be such a good idea. Also, any weak spots which show up in your first pair of shoes will likely be in the rest that you've set aside. Just a thought.

Biloxi
02-09-2009, 15:59
hey tinker thanks for comment..thought of that already.I will start in one's that are my real size and the other's are all 1 size bigger and all are different kinds, and I have been doing local trails in a different pair everytime so they will be somewhat broke in and if I find a pair that really last I can proubly find more if need be.

SteelReserve
02-09-2009, 16:02
I can confirm what Tinker said about feet swelling. I hiked the Camino de Santiago in Spain (around 500 miles) two years ago and my feet were about one size larger than they were prior.

garlic08
02-09-2009, 16:03
Four pairs of NB811s worked for me on the AT last year.