PDA

View Full Version : Montbell # 2 UL SS

Pak-Man
02-09-2009, 17:04
Anyone out there care to give me your thoughts and concerns on the above listed item?

My wife and I are looking to buy some new down bags and cannot dish out the 400-500 dollars for WM or FF..

Thanks everyone.

Toolshed
02-09-2009, 17:19
Got one - 2 years now. Love it. A little cold sometimes near the limit, but love the stretch comfort.
check backcountrygear.com - They have some awesome deals there right now.

bigcranky
02-09-2009, 17:21
The #2 is the 25 degree, right? Nice bag, but I think it's about the same price as a comparable Western Mountaineering, no?

Montbell #2 UL SS, $325 (http://www.backcountrygear.com/catalog/bagdetail.cfm/MTB3910)
WM Megalite, $335 (http://www.backcountrygear.com/catalog/bagdetail.cfm/WE2900)

Both are top quality down bags that will last for years. The MB is rated to 25-F, the WM to 30-F. The WM is wide-cut, the MB is stretchy. Either is a great choice.

Pak-Man
02-09-2009, 17:26
Big,

Yeah If we were going to go with the WM.. We really wanted the Alpinelite. We are hoping to be thru hiking in 2012 and thought that it being a 20 would be great. The MB is kinda a fall back.. Just wondering about the temp rating and the quality.

Thanks

rp1790
02-09-2009, 17:35
I have one of those, the 800 fill down and have slept in it down to 28 F with just t-short, undies and no socks. Feet were a little chilly but not enough to force me to get up and do anything about it. My upper body was actually a bit hot so overall quite happy with the temp rating. I love the strechy sides and not being constrained when I sleep on my side.

I bought mine through these guys and I see they have a sale on at the moment for $267. Thats a VERY good price
http://www.plateauoutdoors.com/montbell-800-ul-ss-down-hugger-8002254.html

or you can get the 650 fill (a little bigger and heavier) for $213 http://www.plateauoutdoors.com/montbell-650-ss-down-hugger-2-26502254.html

KG4FAM
02-09-2009, 18:10
I have a ULSS #1 and it is great. The stretch as well as making it comfy makes it warm up very fast. The fact that MB bags will actually go on sale is nice too.

bigcranky
02-09-2009, 22:17
Yeah If we were going to go with the WM.. We really wanted the Alpinelite. We are hoping to be thru hiking in 2012 and thought that it being a 20 would be great. The MB is kinda a fall back.. Just wondering about the temp rating and the quality.

Pak-man,

The Montbell quality is outstanding. My lovely wife has two -- a #3 and a #0 (30-F and 0-F.) She loves them. Nothing "fall back" about these bags, and as noted above, you can actually get them on sale once in a while. (Though to be fair, I got my WM Antelope for 40% off at my local outfitter. Lucky, I know.)

As far as using any 20-F bag for a thru, my personal feeling is that it's not quite warm enough for the cold parts, and too warm for the warm parts. If you know what I mean. But I saved my pennies for a long time to have two high quality bags, and be able to switch them out.

Toolshed
02-09-2009, 23:00
http://www.backcountrygear.com/catalog/bagdetail.cfm/MTB452
Down hugger #2 Super Stretch $184 right now.

slow
02-10-2009, 00:01
The #2 is the 25 degree, right? Nice bag, but I think it's about the same price as a comparable Western Mountaineering, no?

Montbell #2 UL SS, $325 (http://www.backcountrygear.com/catalog/bagdetail.cfm/MTB3910)
WM Megalite, $335 (http://www.backcountrygear.com/catalog/bagdetail.cfm/WE2900)

Both are top quality down bags that will last for years. The MB is rated to 25-F, the WM to 30-F. The WM is wide-cut, the MB is stretchy. Either is a great choice.

Just dont understand people some time.Spend top dollar on a 2 rate bag,due to fill,temp rate.:-?Never from a W.M. BAG,but instead of order wide, they buy a ss bag?Glad i'm dad to flip the bill.

mudcap
02-10-2009, 00:05
Just dont understand people some time.Spend top dollar on a 2 rate bag,due to fill,temp rate.:-?Never from a W.M. BAG,but instead of order wide, they buy a ss bag?Glad i'm dad to flip the bill.

Huh? Not sure what you are saying.:confused:

slow
02-10-2009, 00:09

Also will that ss system last like a WM has shown for 25 yr?

slow
02-10-2009, 00:33
Huh? Not sure what you are saying.:confused:

Sorry, glad not the dad.WM has a name for a reason.

Pak-Man
02-10-2009, 08:48
Sorry, glad not the dad.WM has a name for a reason.

Maybe I am confused also about what you are saying...My wife and I fit the bill.

I was asking the questions about this because in todays society and especially in my personal life, times are tight. I have found a deal on the Montbell Super Stretch Ultralite # 2 in Long and Reg. This works well because both me and my wife sleep on our sides. The other option was a WM Alpinelite, because it is a wider bag and obviously light. Now we are talking about a difference of around $850, verses the two #2's I can get for around 500 for both shipped.

I apreciate the input from everyone...

Would the 15 degree #1 be more suited for the begining of a thru hike?

thank you all for your help.

DBD

Sly
02-10-2009, 09:52
WM has a name for a reason.

You're point? Montbell also has a name.

Pak-Man

If you're buying two bags from the same maker, try to get right and left zippers. You should be able to zip them together if you want.

I have a #1 which is great for early season, but overkill for most of the trail. If I were to do it again I'd probably go with a #2.

Sly
02-10-2009, 09:56
Slow is you dad still buying you gear? Must be nice.

optimator
02-10-2009, 12:02
I have a UL SS #2. I love it. I've had it quite a bit lower than it's rating, and I've been warm. I AM a warm sleeper tho. After using a SS bag for a while now, when I zip into a regular mummy bag now, I damn near freak out. :eek:

A New Convert
02-10-2009, 12:18
http://www.rei.com/product/762604

Already made a thread about this, but it seems appropriate for your situation. At the very least it will save you enough money to significantly offset the cost of your wifes bag.

BC

slow
02-10-2009, 20:48
Maybe I am confused also about what you are saying...My wife and I fit the bill.

I was asking the questions about this because in todays society and especially in my personal life, times are tight. I have found a deal on the Montbell Super Stretch Ultralite # 2 in Long and Reg. This works well because both me and my wife sleep on our sides. The other option was a WM Alpinelite, because it is a wider bag and obviously light. Now we are talking about a difference of around $850, verses the two #2's I can get for around 500 for both shipped.

I apreciate the input from everyone...

Would the 15 degree #1 be more suited for the begining of a thru hike?

thank you all for your help.

DBD

Back in 78 he did buy me a peak 1,but that is it.I like top gear and will pay for it,no problem.Money well spent will pay in the long run.You may eat 350$ up front ...but you have 2 bags for a good 25yr's.MB has not shown yet that they can last like a WM,FF so why take the chance?Think of 350 over 25yrs for both to be happy.:)

KG4FAM
02-10-2009, 21:01
Back in 78 he did buy me a peak 1,but that is it.I like top gear and will pay for it,no problem.Money well spent will pay in the long run.You may eat 350$ up front ...but you have 2 bags for a good 25yr's.MB has not shown yet that they can last like a WM,FF so why take the chance?Think of 350 over 25yrs for both to be happy.:)
WM and MB have both been in business for more than 30 years
Do you have a 25 year old MB and a 25 year old WM that you are comparing?

slow
02-10-2009, 21:58
WM and MB have both been in business for more than 30 years
Do you have a 25 year old MB and a 25 year old WM that you are comparing?

Do you have a SS system that has lasted even 15yrs...NO.

Have you ever heard of underfill on a WM BAG...NO.MB YES.

I seen first hand,a 2 rate for a 1 rate price.

You get what you pay for in a WM,FF, BAG.:)

Smile
02-10-2009, 22:01
Montbell bags are excellent quality and the SS is awesome, can't believe that others aren't making them this way by now, super comfy and a great nights sleep. ;)

Rusty_S
02-10-2009, 22:06
Do you have a SS system that has lasted even 15yrs...NO.

Have you ever heard of underfill on a WM BAG...NO.MB YES.

I seen first hand,a 2 rate for a 1 rate price.

You get what you pay for in a WM,FF, BAG.:)How about you show us a MB SS that is broken and show me an account of a MB being underfilled. You are saying something is crap without any evidence. The only thing you are giving us to go on is your opinion. Why should someone trust your opinion?

slow
02-10-2009, 22:13
How about you show us a MB SS that is broken and show me an account of a MB being underfilled. You are saying something is crap without any evidence. The only thing you are giving us to go on is your opinion. Why should someone trust your opinion?

Underfill has ben posted on this site and many others,look it up.:)

Pak-Man
02-10-2009, 22:19
So, that is about ten posts now of back and forth.. Look if the guy thinks the MB is of lesser quality that is what I asked for, just as I asked for info from those who like it.. So back to the question at hand... Do you believe that I could start in mid March with a 25 degree bag or will it be too cold. I figure that we could use a 25 and then switch to a 40, but if we start with a 15 we will definetly need a 30 or 35 degree bag to get us to the 40 that will run us the rest of the way..

So what is your vote... 15 degree bag or 25 degree bag. Specifically the MB SS UL.. Thank you

DBD

Rusty_S
02-10-2009, 22:26
Underfill has ben posted on this site and many others,look it up.:)You are the one making the claim, you need to support it.

KG4FAM
02-10-2009, 22:31
I would go with the 15 if you really want to guarantee warmth no problems. You could get by with the 25, but you will need to add a puffy jacket and/or other layers on some nights. The 25 will also carry you farther into the summer and you could use it the whole time.

slow
02-10-2009, 22:32
I support a SS MB for the 2.But i did try.:)

slow
02-10-2009, 22:50
You are the one making the claim, you need to support it.

I did my homework,your turn.:)

Uncle B
02-10-2009, 23:10
I spent the first weekend in March last year on Springer. Overnight temp was 17 degrees with winds gusting, snow on the ground, slept in a tent (not the shelter). Wind chill was probably around zero. My MB SS # 1 held up to it's 15 rating just fine. Never got cold. Matter of fact, I was toasty warm. Glad I had the #1 instead of #2. If you get too hot, take off the thermals, unzip the bag, etc. Much easier to expel heat in cooler temps than to generate it. I went with the #1 instead of the #2 and have never regretted it. Good luck.

slow
02-11-2009, 00:20
People rate bags from what they put on.:rolleyes:

buz
02-11-2009, 15:40
Pak Man.

I have the #2 ss in 800 fill, long. My comments: I am 6' even, 170#. For length, it is perfect. I think they are right, 5'10" max for regular, if you are 6'2" or more, I think the long may be too short. SS feature, love it. I am restless side sleeper and love flipping around with this bag. Rating: Hard to assess for anybody else but me, I would call myself a warm sleeper, and this bag is comfortable at 25 in light base layer, hat, and nothing else. I have slept in it repeatedly in the low 20s, no problem. I have also slept in it at 7 and 11 degrees, with same base layer and down jacket and vest as layering in bag, toasty. If you are a big person, and stretching the bag because of your size, I think the bags rating could be optimistic, and maybe you should go lower, temp wise if you are big person. I am not and think it is right on.

That being said, I will weigh in on quality issue a little. People have complained about underfilled pockets, and honestly, mine has some that are clearly filled lower than others. I noticed these, but was never cold and never felt a cold spot where they were. I also decided to modify my bag. I had a very old Eddie Bauer high quality down parka that has seen better days, shell wise, due to battery acid spill. I took all the down out of it, sorted it, and put 6 ounces of high quality down into my bag, starting with the lowest filled pockets. The down is all in the top of the bag. Each pocket that was filled has about a 1" slit in it, that is resewed and the sew job has seam grip on it. Good as new. Now I have a 15 degree bag, that I have slept in at 10 with only base layer. For me, worked out well, and I like the bag.

Pak-Man
02-12-2009, 16:10
Well I would like to thank everyone for their help with this one...
We went ahead and purchased two of the #1 MB SS UL. This way we do not have to worry about the cold. We will most likely be purchasing the # 4's as well to bridge the gap to mid summer...
Thanks again everyone. :banana

DBD