PDA

View Full Version : Now available

Taba
02-09-2009, 20:10
The Thru-Hiker's Manual for the Mountains-to-Sea Trail in North Carolina is now available for everyone.

A little about the book: This is a quick reference guide for long distance hikers. It lists every water source, camping location and has over 625 businesses listed along the way to help out with lodging, laundry, food, resupply and medical facilities for you and you pets. The mileage is accurate to the hundredth of a mile and is very detailed.

The book was just released on Saturday February 7th. To get a copy send $20.00 to:

Scot Ward
P.O. Box 55536
Lexington, KY 40555-5536

Please allow 1-2 weeks for delivery.

Thank you,
Scot "Taba" Ward

puddingboy
02-09-2009, 23:04
congratulations TABA on hiking the mountains to see trail. Did you write the book?

grizzlyadam
02-10-2009, 00:56
i had the pleasure of meeting TABA on saturday at the annual FMST meeting and picked up one of his guidebooks.

having used the other MST guidebook for roughly 870 miles of the mountains to sea trail in 2005, i can tell you this book is top notch. any prospective hiker on the MST, whether out for a thru, section, or just a day should pick this thing up. it is very detailed, well organized, and straight forward in its presentation.

i thought the price tag was a little steep, but i understand all of the hard work that went into producing this book so i was happy to pay it.

well done scot!!!

hopefully we can get out and do some hiking sometime. i'm probably hiking the woodlawn park to beacon hights section later this week and will definitely be carrying the new guidebook.

thanks.

Taba
02-10-2009, 01:34
Your welcome and thank you. I was hoping I did a good job. Unfortunately I am out of state for now but may take a month to drive the trail stopping into the towns to promote the trail and drop off some books to the businesses. I will be starting the hike from Clingman's Dome on May 23rd after Trail Days in Damascus. Maybe we can catch up around that time.

Taba
02-10-2009, 02:56
Thank you for sticking up for me. One of these posts were moved from another forum by a moderator I guess. You're right it did take a lot of work to get this book done. I have spent an entire year on it and 4 months of that was actually hiking the trail. I have never done anything for a full consistant year so my dedication to this project was 100%. I believe that the information in the guidebook is worth more than $20.00 but I wanted to be fair. To know ahead of time what's in front of you for planning and the business directory. It really is a must have book for the Mountains-to-Sea Trail. To learn more about the MST go to www.ncmst.org (http://www.ncmst.org).

Taba

Taba
02-10-2009, 22:16
congratulations TABA on hiking the mountains to see trail. Did you write the book?

Thank you! I did write the book. It was a project that I did alone. Self edited and Self published. Even the pictures on the cover I took while hiking the trail. I am very proud of the finished product.

Thanks again,
Taba

Taba
08-26-2009, 01:41
Just wanted to bring this back. Several people have asked about how to get a copy of the Manual. This should let you know that info.

Taba

JoshStover
08-26-2009, 02:49
Thanks man! I will be getting this book for sure! I plan to do the trail after my AT thru in '10. Keep up the good work man...

Egads
08-26-2009, 07:00
Can I suggest that you set up a PayPal account?

Chaco Taco
08-26-2009, 17:23
Just wanted to bring this back. Several people have asked about how to get a copy of the Manual. This should let you know that info.

Taba

Heard you stayed at the Co-op in Carrboro. I used to live there, great place and gotta love Hobojoe.

Taba
08-28-2009, 14:21
I do love Hobo. He is a good friend of mine and will be visiting with hime again when I get there on my way back.

Taba

modiyooch
08-28-2009, 14:29
Taba, I live in Hickory, NC and would be glad to introduce the book to our local outdoor store. If memory serves me right, isn't this your second completion of the trail?

Tennessee Viking
08-28-2009, 14:30
When is the 2009 update being published?

If you wait till the Sept 26 to hit Falls Lake, you will get to walk new trail near the Ponds on Red Mill Road. But you have plenty of new trail to walk from Hickory Hill Rec Area to around Redwood Road.

Taba
08-29-2009, 19:55
Taba, I live in Hickory, NC and would be glad to introduce the book to our local outdoor store. If memory serves me right, isn't this your second completion of the trail?

Yes that was my second time and I am now 275 miles into my third as I head back to Clingman's Dome. I am planning to finish the yo-yo by October 13th. The same day I finished the AT in 2003.

Taba

Taba
08-29-2009, 19:58
When is the 2009 update being published?

If you wait till the Sept 26 to hit Falls Lake, you will get to walk new trail near the Ponds on Red Mill Road. But you have plenty of new trail to walk from Hickory Hill Rec Area to around Redwood Road.

Are these sections connected to the existing MST? Are they blazed and designated? Will I miss the turns if I am not observant?

Taba

Bad Co
08-30-2009, 16:31
Hey Taba
Congrats on the Book,
I own a small shopping complex at the foot of Table Rock State Park in SC
and am opening an outfitters there next season
I will be happy to carry your book at one of the stores if you have an interest
you can PM me