PDA

View Full Version : News Article - 41-yr-old Thru-Hiker

SavageLlama
05-09-2004, 17:02
i'm jealous of a middle aged surgeon...
He hit trail with his family's blessing

BILL MOOR
April 13, 2004
South Bend Tribune (http://mail.yahoo.com/config/login?/_javascript:NewWindow( 'FIISrcDetails','?from=article&ids=xsbt');void(0);)
MISHAWAKA -- Steve Galat, a 41-year-old Mishawaka surgeon, made sure he was home for his daughter Kristina's 10th birthday April 5.

He also plans to help his daughter Bethany blow out the nine candles on her birthday cake Aug. 10.

It won't be a piece of cake to get there.

In between those two very important dates, Steve will be hiking the entire length of the Appalachian Trail -- a 2,174-mile trek from Springer Mountain in northern Georgia to Mount Katahdin in Maine.

He started last Wednesday.

"He called the other day from the top of a mountain," says Colleen Galat, Steve's wife of 19 years. "He sounded strong and happy."

She hopes he sounds the same four months from now.

"I know there is a certain amount of romantic appeal about a trip like this," Steve said just before he started. "But part of my reason is to gain a little clarity in life. Our lives are a spiritual journey, and I hope this experience serves as an allegory of sorts.

"The trail is well-marked; life always isn't."

Burned out after 10 years as a general surgeon and then after a stint as an adjunct professor at Bethel College, Steve thought this was a perfect time for such a journey.

An avid hiker and a fitness buff, Steve gave a little presentation for the walking club at his church, Trinity Evangelical Free Church, in January.

"And somewhere during the video of the Appalachian Trail that Pastor (Craig) Clapper showed, I thought to myself, 'Why not?' "

He waited a while before he gave Colleen a chance to ask, "Why?"

All things considered, she took it pretty well. "But she thought before we went too far in the decision-making that we mention it to our kids," Steve says.

The four Galat children -- 15-year-old Dan, 13-year-old Abbie, Kristina and Bethany -- gave Dad their overwhelming support. Besides, it meant that they probably would be able to join him on the trail a couple of times over summer vacation.

"We are hoping the entire family can meet up with me for a few days somewhere in Pennsylvania in June and then be with me at the finish," Steve says. "I couldn't think of anything neater."

All the Galats were focused on the trip during the last few months. Steve dehydrated pounds upon pounds of food, he and Colleen worked on all the logistics, and Kristina and Bethany whittled a walking stick for him.

"I hope to cover about 20 miles a day and eat about 5,000 calories a day," says Steve, who has plenty of dehydrated hamburger mix along with fruit, gorp, peanuts and the beef jerky he made.

"When it's light, I'll walk. When it's dark, I'll sleep."

Colleen has 15 boxes of supplies that she will mail to him at various points on the trail. That includes a second pair of hiking boots after he wears out his first set.

"I'll probably have about 50 pounds or so on my back," says Steve, who hit both the weights and the stair-stepper machine hard before he went.

Included in his pack with the several meals are a small tent, some spare clothing, a minuscule stove, a cell phone, writing material and the New Testament.

"By and large, people have been rooting for me."

That includes his pastor, Craig Clapper, who once hiked with Steve on the 100-mile Wilderness Walk in Maine.

"I'm both very happy for Steve and jealous of him, too," Clapper says. "He has his family's support, and so why not do something like this when he has his health? How often do we have a chance to really think things through like he will be able to do on the trail?"

Steve, who thinks he would like to return to the field of medicine after his trek, hopes to meet some interesting people along the way.

"I've been told that about 50 people start the trail each day -- some retired, some in between careers like me, and some looking for a challenge or searching for something in their lives," he adds.

His family is with him every step of the way.

"It's a great opportunity for Steve," Colleen adds. "He is trying to figure out where he is going next in his life, and he is very aware of the sacrifices that the rest of us are making."

More than 2,000 miles on a rough up-and-down trail ... sleepingunder the stars for more than 100 nights ... washing in a stream ...eating tons of dehydrated food ... ... what's the craziest thing Steve has ever done before this? "When Colleen and I were in college, we climbed up a 500-footradio tower and kissed at the top," he says. That was exhilarating, to say the least. Their kiss at the end of the trail should be even better.