PDA

View Full Version : VA hike May. 12 days. 2 guys. Where to go?

markinohio
02-09-2009, 23:45
Seeking your recommendations for where to begin the journey and what realistic expectations should be as far as distances to cover. Both in reasonably good shape, mid forties, not new to camping, just a big gap since our last significant adventure. Thanks in advance.

CrumbSnatcher
02-10-2009, 00:04
indian grave gap TN. to fox creek VA. 156 miles or so. or iron mtn. gap to fox creek 144 miles. basically just north of erwin tn. to north of damascus. might be a little farther south than you want? another option, the S.N.P. you could start there and go as far south as you go? my 2 cents have fun

Press
02-10-2009, 00:42
Start at Rockfish Gap and walk south, you'll get the best of VA in my opinion. The Priest, Mt. Pleasant area, James River, James River Face Wilderness, Dragon's Tooth, and so forth.

CrumbSnatcher
02-10-2009, 00:44
Start at Rockfish Gap and walk south, you'll get the best of VA in my opinion. The Priest, Mt. Pleasant area, James River, James River Face Wilderness, Dragon's Tooth, and so forth.
great hike ,i love virginia.

Montana AT05
02-10-2009, 03:07
Hard to pick a bad place to hike in VA. I love that state.

Maybe consider where you want to end and plan from there. I would guess 14-16 miles a day average. But sheesh that is hard to guess...

Some possible finish spots:

1. Rockfish Gap. As others stated, the trail up to there is a wonderful. Plus there are many trail angels to get you into town. If you are early, maybe visit Luray Caverns nearby, the Appalachian's are home to some of the most beautiful caves America has to offer.

2. Harpers Ferry. You get to hike through the Shenandoah National Park. While not spectacular, it is nice, especially if you get good weather. The trail is very well marked and designed. There are many places to eat along the way. Plus, Harpers Ferry is a neat town to end in, neat setting, historic, and on the way, you can visit the Blackburn Center and Bear's Den Hostel.

3. Mt Rogers area. You get to finish at or shortly after Grayson Highlands. What a wonderful place to end your hike! Grayson is a unique area out east. It reminds me of my home state, Montana, but with the added flavor of rich green grass and trees all around.

Check out some trail journals on trailjournals.com and try to find ones with good pictures and entries through VA. VA is rich in unique places (Tinker Cliffs, McAfee Knob, etc). You can't go wrong, so don't sweat the decision too much.

Have fun!