PDA

View Full Version : Flying In To Atl

q-tip
02-10-2009, 08:03
I will be arriving in Atl airport the morning of March 4th. How should I pack my gear for the flight??? I will also need to get stove fuel, will a shuttle allow for a quick stop at REI to stock up??? Any thoughts about first few days mileage, I have been training for 3 months but don't want to burn out in the first few days??? Thanks Much

rockdawg69
02-10-2009, 10:03
If you can find an outfitter or hostel near Dahlonega, or the shuttle service you plan to use, who will accept a UPS or FedEx package, I would reccomend shipping your full pack to them, minus the fuel of course. Ask and see what they can do for you. Saves the hassle of airport security and potential thefts in baggage transfer areas. And the shipping costs should not be much more than the bag fees some airlines are charging.
I use this method, especially when I'm done hiking and heading home.
Another possibility is to take AmTrak to Atlanta. You can carry your pack on-board with no hassles. Used this method last year when I finished NJ section and departed from NYC to GA.

rockdawg69
02-10-2009, 10:14
Okay - on the first few days question. You can do it. I planned for about 10 miles a day for the first week in 2007. Only problem I encounterd was we had 70s and 80s the last week of March and thirst was a heavy factor after the 3rd day for a few days. Still made about 10 per day and I did some training before hand - about 50 miles of hiking/backpacking with Scouts over various weekends.
If you are tenting/hammocking, suggest you go past Hawk Mtn shelter to Horse Gap for first day (10 miles from Springer). First 5 miles (approx) from Springer are essentially downhill. Carry extra water from Hawk Mtn. Reason - from Hawk Mtn to next water is 5 miles of short, rugged climbs. Horse gap camp cuts that to 3.5 miles, approx.

MOWGLI
02-10-2009, 10:22
Any thoughts about first few days mileage, I have been training for 3 months but don't want to burn out in the first few days??? Thanks Much

Don't knock yourself out the first few weeks. Let your body adjust to the trail. Don't fall into the trap of trying to keep up with the first really cool person you meet, cause there are plenty behind you, and if you stick around long enough, you'll probably meet those people again in New York or New England.

Have a blast!

KG4FAM
02-10-2009, 10:25
Any thoughts about first few days mileage, I have been training for 3 months but don't want to burn out in the first few days??? Thanks Much10 mile days are a good way to start. The thing that a lot of people burn out is their knees so pay a lot of attention to them.

Kerosene
02-10-2009, 10:34
Shipping a pack will prove pretty expensive. I've never had any issues stuffing my pack (along with my trekking poles and other gear) into a zipped duffel and just checking it through as baggage. Of course, you have to figure out what to do with your duffel bag once you get picked up (I'd either toss it or mail it back home).

partinj
02-10-2009, 10:48
It can cost you any where from $50.00 to $70.00 to ship your pack by ups fex or usps beacuse they are oversize. When i ship mine it cost $58.00
:eek:

Grandma
02-10-2009, 11:16
If you take MARTA from the airport, there is a REI almost directly across the road from the Sandy Springs station. This is the last stop before the North Springs station, and where many people meet their shuttle. This would be the most convenient REI for you.

rockdawg69
02-10-2009, 11:34
Prices on shipping must be going up. Mine cost about $40 two years ago for 35 lbs, boxed, standard ground, UPS. Glad I took the train on the last travel - no baggage costs.

Survivor Dave
02-10-2009, 11:52
Q-Tip, I sent you a private message.
If you look in my website, you will find a guide to getting around the airport and MARTA and other frequently used links. www.atsurvivordave.com (http://www.atsurvivordave.com) Just click on the link at the top of the page.

rusty075
02-10-2009, 12:22
I've found a duffle bag from an Army/Navy surplus store to be an excellent way to pack your pack for a flight. It's cheap ($10-20), yet sturdy enough to protect the pack from the hazards of the baggage throwers. Once you're there you can mail it home, donate it to a hiker box at the hostel, or just throw it away.

Ox97GaMe
02-28-2009, 11:54
I havent had any problems with flying with my pack. I have a larage duffle that I put my pack in for transport. This hides the contents, and keeps the pack from getting snagged on the conveyor system at the airports. My duffle also has a collection of hiking patches on it. I have found that this lets the agents know what the contents are, raising fewere security questions. It does, however open you up to all sorts of 'hiker related' questions. Terrorists usually want to maintain a low profile and be un-noticed. Walking through an airport with a duffle with 15-20 patches gets noticed by a LOT of folks. If you do this, expect to get a lot of 'good luck' and 'congrats' comments. You might also be suprised at the number of hikers that will come up to you and offer a ride in an airport using this method. It has saved me taxi fare on a number of occassions.

You are allowed 1 check in item of up to 50 lbs at no extra charge for most carriers. If you need additional item, I use a small carry on bag.

Items that will trigger alerts at the airport....
a) fuel bottles. If you have a clean bottle, you can have it in the pack, but leave the cap off. if a capped bottle is discovered, they will usually break down to the pack to verify it is empty. No question if uncapped. But, make sure it is clean. They have explosive detecting devices that will pick up any trace of fuel fumes, which would not be a good thing.
b) stoves. Depending on the type of stove, this may be a concern too. I have a Sigg stove and have never had any problems. But, in a scanner, it has the same footprint as a can of vegetables.
c) hiking poles. I have found there are less problems if i disassemble the pole sections and stick them inside the pack, or along side the tent poles. NEVER put them in your carry on. They are considered weapon material and will be taken from you.

The suggestion of MARTA from AHJ Airport is a good one. it is $1.75 to take the train. REI is one block from Sandy Springs station. This will also save you time and shuttle expense. Trip from Airport to Sandy Springs is usually about 40 min. In traffic, driving could take almost 2 hrs. Shuttle services usually ask you to call them from the airport and it gives them time to get to the station while you are in transit.

Good luck with your hike.

gregugadawg
02-28-2009, 12:43
Trip from Airport to Sandy Springs is usually about 40 min. In traffic, driving could take almost 2 hrs. Shuttle services usually ask you to call them from the airport and it gives them time to get to the station while you are in transit.
Good luck with your hike.
2-hours you must not live in Atlanta, it is about a 45 minute drive at the most from the airport to Sandy Springs, traffic or no traffic.

Ox97GaMe
03-03-2009, 11:01
I would like to clock you from the airport to Sandy Springs on a Friday afternoon at say 5:30 PM. Yes, I used to live in ATL, for 15 years. The thing I found was that the driving time to the airport was very unpredictable. It depends on the weather, the time of day, how many wrecks you have to pass en route, number of idiots at the toll both fumbling around for 'exact change', and what events might be occuring downtown at the time. The traffic through the downtown connector isnt moving too fast on a Fri night, rush hour traffic, with a Braves and/or Hawks game in town. The train, however is pretty reliable. 45 min, give or take a few.

And Im sure your rebuttal about the toll booth is to have a GA Cruise card. Any hikers flying into ATL arent likely to be carrying one of those. anyway.. drive time in ATL is off topic, since he is going to be using a shuttle service anyway.