PDA

View Full Version : Has it been a "wet" winter on the southern AT?

Gator 65
02-10-2009, 08:15
I am thinking about a March 9th start or thereabouts and I am curious about the snow and rain amounts this winter on the southern part of the trail and how it will effect the water supply this spring. Where can I find this info. A previous thru hiker (2005?) told me that he had experienced some difficult times due to a dry winter that year until April and may when the rains became more steady further north. Is there a source that I can extract this info?

SGT Rock
02-10-2009, 08:21
NOAA Drought tracker.

daddytwosticks
02-10-2009, 08:33
Just a personal, non-scientific observation...down here in the valleys of western NC, it has been wetter this year than previous years. I would expect the higher elevations have had more moisture than the valleys. Have seen the Snowbirds and Valley River Mtns. covered in more snow this year for longer periods of time. Hopefully, springs and creeks will be flowing better this year on the southern AT.

kayak karl
02-10-2009, 09:05
most springs are dried up north of georgia. smokies was bad. "reliable" shelter springs dry, even some of the piped springs. ive been carrying 2 liters and still have run out (but I got snow to melt). longest ive walked not seeing wate is 12mi. thats still not that bad. i go through 3 liters a day. just plan well, look ahead and talk to other hikers.

humunuku
02-10-2009, 19:07
east TN has gotten a ton of rain in the last 2 months (like 10" in December...thats a lot)

dmax
02-10-2009, 20:39
We've had some rain and snow. Plan you're water by the reliable sources though. I was at the nolichucky today and it is the lowest I've seen it in years. Some of the hidden springs I know of in our area are dry. The main ones are flowing though. It could get worse by spring or summer.

Blissful
02-11-2009, 14:22
No snow this year for us so far. But winter isn't over yet...

Wheeler
02-11-2009, 16:40
I finished my sobo on Jan.13. There was plenty of water. Got regular snow and rain. None of the drought conditions like in the summer. Of course,things change. Blissfull-It snowed at least every 3 day's from Daleville to springer.Started mid-nov. and snowed right to springer.

Skyline
02-11-2009, 17:02
We've had some snow in SNP, but nothing very heavy. Also some ice. Water seems just OK right now. We'll need more precip before the leaves show.

Gator 65
02-11-2009, 21:06
Thanks for all of the feedback. I need to be mindful of not passing any opportunities to " top off " my water when possible and not waiitng to arrive at shelters.

Tennessee Viking
02-12-2009, 01:17
Tennessee just got drinched tonight.

Even though we haven't had a prolonged winter, but when it snowed it snowed. And in between snowfalls, it rained and rained. We are already up a couple inches of avg. rain fall. But it seems like the rest of the nation, is getting all the heavy weather but the South ends up with more mild stuff.

But still a lot of springs are still trying to recover from last years drought. So for you folks walking the TN/NC sections of the Bald Mountains and Iron/Holston Mountains, carry water.