PDA

View Full Version : Another AT GSMNP Thru hike

GolfHiker
05-09-2004, 20:27
Picking up on Uncle Mikes posting about his hike from Fontana to Davenport, I was hoping to get some good advice myself. I'll be going from Dav. to Fontana, mid July. I actually did this trip w/my young son in 1997, and we were fairly pokey (8 nights out). I will be going solo, and wish to do it in 6 nights/7 days. My first choice of shelters would be 1) Cosby 2) Tri-corner 3) IceWater 4) Double Springs 5) Derrick 6) Mollies & out. Does this seem logical & doable for a nice easy pace thru the Park... An alternate possibity would be Cosby, to Pecks to Mt. Collins, Double, Derrick, Mollies.... A little tougher early, with a short day into Double Springs. For those of you who know the Smokies better than I, I'm interested in your thoughts based on quality of shelter, difficulty of the hike based on 1st choice vs. 2nd choice, etc. Any suggestions would be helpful, as I plan my trip. Thank you.

MedicineMan
05-09-2004, 21:48
I've only been throught the Smokes 1 and 1/2 times via the At so take my advice with about a pound of salt. So here's my thought....use some of the other 825 miles of trail the park offers on your trip. You've already done the AT section so why not see the other side of this vast park.

GolfHiker
05-10-2004, 08:49
Thanks MedicineMan. I do appreciate your thoughts... I have done many miles in the Smokeys, at both ends of the Park. Been hiking there since 1980, and this year I just want to do the AT. It fascinates me... golfhiker:sun

orangebug
05-10-2004, 10:51
I'll second Medicine Man's suggestion, especially regarding the southern half of the AT in the GSMNP. There are parallel trails and connections with all of the challenges and far less traffic. There is a great opportunity to gain solitude and quiet.

Even the northern portion of the AT has good connections and fun climbs. There isn't quite anything else as impressive as Charlie's Bunion, but in the AT it is all good.

bill...

MedicineMan
05-10-2004, 21:50
the fascination of the AT and honestly I'm very intrigued by the expansion of the BMT from Springer to Davenport Gap....bottom line is that your hiking!