PDA

View Full Version : Movie Theaters?

ATX-Hiker
02-10-2009, 11:29
This might seem ridiculous but I got to ask. Do any of the trail towns have a movie theater?

KG4FAM
02-10-2009, 11:30
I have watched movies in Rutland and Hanover

Yahtzee
02-10-2009, 11:30
Manchester Center, back in the day had one, as well.

MOWGLI
02-10-2009, 11:33
I saw a movie in Erwin, TN (Erin Brockavich (sp)) and I saw another in Hanover, NH (Perfect Storm).

The theater in Erwin may have closed. Hanover is still open.

There is a 3 screen Drive-in Theater in Warwick, NY. That's only about 5 miles off the trail, and accessible from several trailheads.

Lone Wolf
02-10-2009, 11:33
Erwin. Waynesboro.

Ender
02-10-2009, 11:51
Ashville, NC.

MOWGLI
02-10-2009, 11:55
Ashville, NC.

Way off the trail, but more hikers should visit. A great little city with a super 2 screen Fine Arts film house. There are 2 hostels in town too, so the hiker can stay for less than $25.

Best way to get to Asheville would be either from Hot Springs, or where the trail crosses I-40. Hitching on an interstate highway could be problematic though. Been here. Done that.

terrapin05
02-10-2009, 12:04
got a ride to the movies in franklin n.c. in a white stretch limo..compliments of bus shuttle driver/motel owner/ ron..or rich..look for the trail angel bus at road crossing happy trailzz

A-Train
02-10-2009, 12:05
Way off the trail, but more hikers should visit. A great little city with a super 2 screen Fine Arts film house. There are 2 hostels in town too, so the hiker can stay for less than $25.

Best way to get to Asheville would be either from Hot Springs, or where the trail crosses I-40. Hitching on an interstate highway could be problematic though. Been here. Done that.

I believe a friend of mine hitched from Sams Gap to Asheville, straight shot on the highway?

MOWGLI
02-10-2009, 12:14
I believe a friend of mine hitched from Sams Gap to Asheville, straight shot on the highway?

True. That's an interstate now though. If you're gonna hitch on the interstate, best to stay on the on-ramp. Otherwise you attract the attention of State Police. And they could still hassle you on the ramp.

Jeff
02-10-2009, 12:22
Manchester Center, back in the day had one, as well.

It's still there...right next door to a great pizza joint!!!

CrumbSnatcher
02-10-2009, 12:39
Erwin. Waynesboro.
in 99' there was a theatre downtown. and they took down names what state people were from. it shut down i thought? is this the same one or a different one in waynesboro. thanks i enjoyed the theatre in hanover NH. some doctors i met in georgia sent me some cash in the mail i wasn't expecting. the note said to help stake the ride! musta known i was broke

sly dog
02-10-2009, 14:58
Great Berrington MA

Ender
02-10-2009, 14:59

True on all counts... we had a fellow hiker who was from the area and her folks drove us there. Great town though, totally worth visiting!

Jack Tarlin
02-10-2009, 18:22
The Nugget Theater on Main St. here in Hanover is probably the nicest theater on the Trail, and usually plays quality stuff. (Right now, it's "Slumdog Millionaire"; "Gran Torino", "Milk" and "Revolutionary Road", so three out of four ain't bad).

Also, there are movies playing at very reasonable prices just about every night of the week at Dartmouth College, and the public is welcome to attend.

buff_jeff
02-10-2009, 18:42
The only place I know of is Erwin (bit of a trek from Uncle Johnny's, though).

max patch
02-10-2009, 19:11
After walking around Gettysburg all day I went to the movies. The A/C was worth the price of admission.

Sleepy the Arab
02-10-2009, 20:56
in 99' there was a theatre downtown. and they took down names what state people were from. it shut down i thought? is this the same one or a different one in waynesboro. thanks i enjoyed the theatre in hanover NH. some doctors i met in georgia sent me some cash in the mail i wasn't expecting. the note said to help stake the ride! musta known i was broke

I'm fairly certain the one in Waynesboro shut down between '99 and '01. The nearest theater I know of from Waynesboro is in Staunton, and is one heckova pain to get to (I saw Spider-Man 2).

There's also the theater down the road from Damascus in Abingdon that isn't too tricky to get to. Ask Lone Wolf for a ride. I'm sure he''' help you out.:D

Jack Tarlin
02-10-2009, 20:59
Geez, Sleepy, but with all due respect, anyone willing to hitch from Waynesboro to Staunton to see Spidey 2 kinda deserves what they get.

If I was out there with a car and knew that was your destination, I'd have probably kept going, too. :D

TOW
02-10-2009, 21:01
This might seem ridiculous but I got to ask. Do any of the trail towns have a movie theater?
13 miles west of here in Abingdon and an easy hitch.....

CrumbSnatcher
02-10-2009, 21:34
Geez, Sleepy, but with all due respect, anyone willing to hitch from Waynesboro to Staunton to see Spidey 2 kinda deserves what they get.

If I was out there with a car and knew that was your destination, I'd have probably kept going, too. :D
i wouldn't watch that movie even if all i had to do was turn my head!:D

Blissful
02-10-2009, 21:36
Paul Bunyan saw a movie in Hanover, NH in '07 while we were on the trail. The third Bourne movie I think. I went home in VA and saw Spiderman III. :)

peakbagger
02-11-2009, 09:35
The theatre in Berlin NH is reopening soon. Its on the local shuttle route from Gorham.

fiddlehead
02-11-2009, 11:58
Pine Grove PA still has one that's open.
Don't stink up the place now.

Skyline
02-11-2009, 12:21
Luray, west of the AT at Thornton Gap, has a five-screen multiplex right downtown. Not like those big suburban multi-plexes, but nevertheless you can choose from five or more films each week. Prices are generally lower than theatres in towns within a 75-mile radius. The owner has been able to bring in films the same week as—or at most one or two weeks after—their "wide" release dates.

Sleepy the Arab
02-11-2009, 23:29

I'm a sucker for comic book movies.

At the time (2004) there was a 50¢ shuttle that ran between the two towns. It actually wasn't too hard to get to the town. Getting from the bus stop to the theater proved a little more difficult as it involved a mile long walk along a road with no shoulder. I sometimes marvel at all the times I was out on the trail and managed not to get hit by a car in spite of myself. Anyway, the worst part was getting back to Waynesboro. The shuttle had stopped running by the time the movie was over. I ended up calling a cab.

So overall, I'd have to say Spider-Man two was not worth $25.00

Tennessee Viking
02-12-2009, 00:45
This might seem ridiculous but I got to ask. Do any of the trail towns have a movie theater?Erwin has a small theater in downtown. There is a summer drivein and a small theater in Elizabethton, 10 minutes from Hampton TN.

Gumbi
02-12-2009, 09:56
Friday the thirteenth looks like it will be a great movie for hikers to watch in the middle of their trips! :) :O

YoungMoose
02-12-2009, 10:53
i think so but movies are like 11 bucks for a stupid movie