PDA

View Full Version : alcohol stoves.... what fuel is available on trail?

thruhiker101
02-10-2009, 16:07
i made a homemade alki stove and now im wondering where and what fuels are available to run it along the trail... and how much do i need for an average week?

can i run it on drinking alcohol, like my favorite hennesy or jack ?

thruhiker101
02-10-2009, 16:09
although i might not want to give up my henny for hot water:-?

Gumbi
02-10-2009, 16:36
You can find Heet in the yellow bottle at almost any gas station, walmart, car parts store, large pharmacies, etc.

It is one of the most available fuels here in America!

Ender
02-10-2009, 16:39
Squirrel blood.

Seriously though... don't burn good drinking alcohol, especially something like Jack... it's only 80 proof... lots of other things in there to gunk up your pot and stove, and the energy output won't be all that high. Grain alcohol burns OK, but it's hard to find.

Stick to denatured alcohol, which can be found in any hardware store, and many hostels... and Heet (yellow bottle!) which can be found at many gas stations.

Slo-go'en
02-10-2009, 18:06
Squirrel blood. and Heet (yellow bottle!) which can be found at many gas stations.

Except in the south. I've always had to track down a NAPA parts store to find Heet. I've heard it isn't found in convienance stores in the south because it's mostly used to cook Meth down there. Not too many gas stations have it either, since they just don't need it much. In New England, Heet is a bit easier to find in places other than just car parts stores.

SGT Rock
02-10-2009, 19:52
In the south most outfitters and hostels have it along the AT.

mkmangold
02-10-2009, 23:12
You can use grain alcohol but around these parts it costs $16-$17 per 750ml. I also wonder about the sense of driving to get anywhere with an opened bottle of alcohol in the car. That is illegal here.
Getting anything we carry to do double duty, in this case using it as a fuel and as a drink, sounds tempting but it probably isn't worth the cost or legal implications.

thruhiker101
02-11-2009, 00:33
. I also wonder about the sense of driving to get anywhere with an opened bottle of alcohol in the car. That is illegal here.

hold on you guys drive the trail... i was planning on walking it... lol

Lots of good info guys thanks very much... how much do you recommend i start the trail with?????...... is it a good idea to buy 2 at one location or is availability easy enough???

mkmangold
02-11-2009, 02:04
[quote=thruhiker101;776287]hold on you guys drive the trail... i was planning on walking it... lol

I meant if you had any left over after the hike. Actually, I have hiked the entire width of the trail with ethanol as fuel.

Gaiter
02-11-2009, 02:23
can i run it on drinking alcohol, like my favorite hennesy or jack ?

no don't waste alcohol like that, plan smart and you won't need to do such a horrible thing

many hostels and places that hikers frequent carry denatured alcohol....

and play around, do some test, seeing how much alky it takes to cook dinner, heating water for coffee tea and what nots.... every stove burns differently... time and use will answer your question of how much denatured alcohol to carry

thruhiker101
02-11-2009, 16:56
thanks guys... see you all soon march18 is coming fast...

hootyhoo
02-11-2009, 19:26
I like to make a small cooking fire when possible to extend the range of my fuel. I am a little reluctant to do this when there is no water available to scrub the smell off my pot, but otherwise it works pretty well. Fire bans respected, of course.

Deadeye
02-11-2009, 19:32
[quote=thruhiker101;776287]
Actually, I have hiked the entire width of the trail with ethanol as fuel.

I guess if I was full of ethanol, a 3-foot hike would be enough for me too!:D

mkmangold
02-12-2009, 04:36
[quote=mkmangold;776337]

I guess if I was full of ethanol, a 3-foot hike would be enough for me too!:D

In fact it was near Neels Gap and took me all of 2 strides. However, the ethanol was saved for AFTER this fine feat of physical prowess.