PDA

View Full Version : heading east

jdubs
02-10-2009, 17:53
hello-

Looking for a little info- i'm a section hiker from Oregon and my next section will be the MD border to Duncannon PA or all of Maryland- Duncannon. I have already completed all of PA north of Duncannon. From what I hear i have the tough part of PA done. Is there anyone out there that would like to give me a heads up on this section? All info would be appreciated- i've been off the AT for 10 years and i'm excited for the trip. Thanks------------------------

KG4FAM
02-10-2009, 18:00
If you are into history you will like Maryland.

Pedaling Fool
02-10-2009, 18:05
Piece of cake compared to the AT north of Duncannon. Some of the best springs I've seen on the AT were in southern Pa.

Pedaling Fool
02-10-2009, 18:08
...and if you do start in Md. you'll see more rocks there than in southern Pa. -- southern Pa is very nice.

Jack Tarlin
02-10-2009, 18:08
Quick answer to your question:

Lots of folks find Maryland amongst the easiest miles of the Trail; it doesn't really matter what time of year you hike it.

Southern PA is actually very nice, assuming you're not out there with most of the thru-hikers, i.e. in late June or early July. In late spring or early fall, I bet this is a really nice section.

In any case, it's easy. The shelters are fine, lots of other good camping.

The stretch between Deer Lick shelter and Boiling Springs is particulary nice.

Watch out for coming outta Boiling Springs; it's dead flat and out in the open; you don't want to do this during the heat of the day if possible.

The last day and a half into Duncannon is a bit more challenging, with a good downhill at the end of it. Watch out for water tho, as it can be spotty here.

Enjoy yourself at the Doyle when you get to town. Good folks, great place, have a great hike.

Slo-go'en
02-10-2009, 18:22
Watch out for coming outta Boiling Springs; it's dead flat and out in the open; you don't want to do this during the heat of the day if possible.

Yeah, get a real early start (like dawn) if its going to be a hot day. And if you decide to get a head start on the valley crossing by going into Boiling Springs the night before, DO NOT stay at the hikers tent site! It's right next to some RR tracks and freight trains come by every couple hours through out the night. We all left there well before dawn, since we weren't getting any sleep anyway:(

I actually liked that section a lot more when it was mostly a road walk.

buff_jeff
02-10-2009, 18:39
hmmmm, by traditional standards you've done the toughest part of PA already. However, this section in the middle of summer is brutal. Water is very scarce. I did it in August and almost had to get off trail the second day because there was absolutely no water. Luckily, it worked out but we had to carry about a gallon at a time and even had to knock on somebody's door to get some water once.

I talked to a pair of PCT hikers this summer who did Boiling Springs SOBO to Harper's Ferry and they basically hated the section. They did it in July and were told it was easy. They didn't like the rocks and roots, either. I don't remember the section being particularly rocky and rooty, though.

The Cumberland Valley is kind of neat, but I don't really remember anything too stand out from this section. Hawk Rock just south of Duncannon is a superb view, also, actually. Reguardless, good luck and have fun!

Blissful
02-10-2009, 21:21
Nice section, great shelters early on by the PATC. Good pizza place by Caledonia State Park (you can take a swim in the pool there in the summer). And take a day trip into Gettysburg for some history.