PDA

View Full Version : Massachusetts State Quarter

Peaks
02-10-2009, 18:46
In a successor to the 50 States Quarters Program, the U.S. Mint, in a nationwide program, has asked Governor Patrick to select one preferred and three alternate Massachusetts national sites to be featured on the reverse of a quarter. Beginning in 2010, the Mint will release five new quarter designs annually based on the order in which the selected sites gained federal designation.

one design under consideration is:

Appalachian National Scenic Trail.

The link is: http://www.mass.gov/?pageID=gov3utilities&sid=Agov3&U=quarters_program

Whiteblazers: Vote early and vote often. Please note that you can only submit one site at a time, but you can vote as often as you would like until 5:00 p.m. February 26, 2009.

Jack Tarlin
02-10-2009, 18:59
Peaks:

What a good post! Thnax for the heads up!

FatMan
02-10-2009, 19:01
As a long time numismatist, I wish the US Mint would just put the eagle back on the Washington Quarter reverse and leave it alone. Circulating commemorative coin designs like the State Qtr. and the new National Parks Qtr. just don't work on today's business strikes. The low relief required by the US Mint for the current high volume production coin presses simply leave these designs lifeless and mediocre.

Blissful
02-10-2009, 21:18
As much as I love the AT - MA really is more well known for its historical roots that should garner the distinguished logo on the quarter. Like the War for Independance, for example, or events leading up to it. That would be my vote.

Jack Tarlin
02-10-2009, 21:25
Blissfull:

As a former Bay Stater and Bostonian, I feel safe to say that while a "historical" motif might have been in order, a present day Massacusetts coin would likely depict a gay couple getting married by a pot-smoking Unitarian in a Red Sox Jersey, blessing the happy couple while the attending Governor excused himself from the ceremony in order to go back to Beacon Hill and raise everyone's taxes.

On the whole, I like the Appalachian Trail idea...... :D

Blissful
02-10-2009, 21:29
Blissfull:

As a former Bay Stater and Bostonian, I feel safe to say that while a "historical" motif might have been in order, a present day Massacusetts coin would likely depict a gay couple getting married by a pot-smoking Unitarian in a Red Sox Jersey, blessing the happy couple while the attending Governor excused himself from the ceremony in order to go back to Beacon Hill and raise everyone's taxes.

Okay, gottcha.

:)

Surplusman
02-14-2009, 15:13
I'm all for the Appalachian Trail. Western MA is a beautiful area and is great for hiking and outdoor activities in general. Seems like a lot of folks around Boston think that the western edge of the state is around Worcester.

4eyedbuzzard
02-14-2009, 15:21
Blissfull:

As a former Bay Stater and Bostonian, I feel safe to say that while a "historical" motif might have been in order, a present day Massacusetts coin would likely depict a gay couple getting married by a pot-smoking Unitarian in a Red Sox Jersey, blessing the happy couple while the attending Governor excused himself from the ceremony in order to go back to Beacon Hill and raise everyone's taxes...

And there's a problem with this? :confused: :banana

DOH!

Stellbell3
02-14-2009, 15:23
Wow, thats lots of choices.......many places I have never heard of and I have lived in Ma all my life. Yeah Western Ma is beautiful.......should get more recognition.

The Scribe
02-14-2009, 16:33
Blissfull:

Jack, you forgot the PINK Red Sox hats.

The Scribe
02-14-2009, 16:34
I must be from Chicago. I just voted early and often.

MOWGLI
02-14-2009, 17:03
My 6 votes;

Nauset Beach Light
Flying Horses (MV)
New Bedford NHP
Plymouth Rock
Quaker Meeting House
Cape Cod Nat'l Seashore

The AT is in the bottom half of the list IMO. And I've spent a good deal of time in the state. Frankly, I'm surprised Fenway park isn't on the list. I'd vote for that over the AT.

buff_jeff
02-14-2009, 17:05
No offense, but...I'm totally indifferent. Quarters are what I put in bubble gum machines. If I want an AT picture, I go to Google.