PDA

View Full Version : film canisters

cupcake
05-09-2004, 22:03
i read, somewhere, sometime ?, that using film canisters for food/spice storage is a bad idea because the residual chemicals can leach into your food/spice. somewhere along the way, someone posted how to rid the canisters of residual chemicals. does anyone have an idea or how to or where i can find this info?
thanks,
d

snuffleupagus
05-09-2004, 23:08
i read, somewhere, sometime ?, that using film canisters for food/spice storage is a bad idea because the residual chemicals can leach into your food/spice. somewhere along the way, someone posted how to rid the canisters of residual chemicals. does anyone have an idea or how to or where i can find this info?
thanks,
dI use to use film canisters for everything (spices,kool-aid,flavorings,first aid stuff,etc...), but realized I was ending up carrying more and more film canisters each time I went out for a hike. Now I limit myself to 3-4 small canisters for each trip. I've never had any problems with residual chemicals leaching into my food. Then again I always make sure I wash them out good with soap and water. If the idea of chemicals being present in film canisters bothers you. Outfitters sell the same thing (w/out the film)for about .50 cents a piece. Now I use small boullion containers with screw on lids which guarantees stuff wont spill out in my pack.

ripple
05-10-2004, 08:22
Film canisters do have a nitrate residue, leaving salt water in them for a week or so and rinsing them afterwards takes care of this.

nero
05-10-2004, 11:55
I believe Nalgene (http://www.nalgene-outdoor.com/store/category.asp?category=Travel+Kits) makes all kinds of little containers. If the idea of chemical residue bothers you (as much as me) you can order some of these little guys from Campmor (http://www.campmor.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?productId=13787&memberId=12500226).

-Nero

Lone Wolf
05-10-2004, 11:58
I knew a lot of hikers who would carry their pot(dope) in them.

cupcake
05-10-2004, 14:32
thanks for the replies --- i will try the salt water soak --- the film canisters seemed like a good idea because of the little lids that coghlan's sell (the lids flip up and have little holes to sprinkle your spice).
d

MedicineMan
05-10-2004, 22:56
There is a book, years old, called 'Silent Spring' and 'Since Silence Spring'...if you read either and then look at where live (did you hear about the evacuation of several hundred around Knoxville this week?), what we live in(concrete foundations-->radon), what we breathe (any here live in the northeast?, any see the effect of the air on the trees in the Smokes?,etc) and then worry about film residue? Personally this is not a concern of mine and I work in an environment where one particle of latex in a 1000ml IV bag can kill someone sensitive.
But the film canisters are so useful and the drive up photolab in town gives em to me for free. I dont but if you are worried rinse them out first in acetone (just a ml or two), let dry, then the same with isopropyl alcohol.
The problem with plastics is that they are very porous and the nasties will always be there, my point is that there are worse nasties everywhere else.

eyahiker
05-11-2004, 06:37
Have to agree wtih Medicine Man on this one. Hey, is that book still in print, sounds pretty interesting..........

MedicineMan
05-11-2004, 07:09
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/061825305X/qid=1084273656/sr=2-1/ref=sr_2_1/104-0927465-9346341

It was required reading when I was a kid, along with Atlas Shrugged and of course King James...to that list I've added these titles for my kids:
1984 and The Federalist Papers.

eyahiker
05-11-2004, 08:52
May I also suggest Four Arguments for the Elimination of Television, along with In the Absence of the Sacred by Gerry Mander. The former was printed in the 70's and it's prophetic wisdom is scary to say the least, especially reference that deal with the then non-existent cable/internet/500 channel situation we have today. The latter is a late 90's book, excellent.

Peace, thanks for the info!:)