PDA

View Full Version : Where are they now?

modiyooch
02-10-2009, 21:56
I am curious as the whereabouts of the hikers that said they were going to start the AT this year in Dec-Feb. I wouldn't even run outside last week because it was so cold. I live in the NC foothills and know it had to be dangerous in the mountains. Any feedback on these hikers? Did they start? Did the stay? Any emergencies?

SGT Rock
02-10-2009, 21:58
Kayak Karl is up around Erwin. Trek is past Damascus. Bluevist is off the trail. Swamp Fox and Rocky are off the trail. Those are all I know of.

modiyooch
02-10-2009, 22:01
Thanks Sarge, did they come off because of the conditions?

Rockhound
02-10-2009, 22:02
Trek, Kayak Karl and watchman all started Jan 1st. Trek is well north of Damascus by now. Kayak Karl should be in Erwin or a little further north. Watchman got off in Erwin yesterday and will be returning there in 2 weeks to resume his hike. Another guy, No Name NOBO (that's his trail name) started Dec 18th or 19th and I suspect he's somewhere in the middle of VA. by now. Have not seen any others yet.

SGT Rock
02-10-2009, 22:03
Yes.

Bluevist got off last year in the Smokies after a January start, but started January again - so I sort of saw that coming.

Rocky and Swamp Fox both have experience hiking in snow but decided not to try it this year. They plan to get back on later.

SGT Rock
02-10-2009, 22:04
Trek, Kayak Karl and watchman all started Jan 1st. Trek is well north of Damascus by now. Kayak Karl should be in Erwin or a little further north. Watchman got off in Erwin yesterday and will be returning there in 2 weeks to resume his hike. Another guy, No Name NOBO (that's his trail name) started Dec 18th or 19th and I suspect he's somewhere in the middle of VA. by now. Have not seen any others yet.
Ohhh Rockhound. There was this older guy I ran into on January 2nd. He is about 80, said he hiked the AT 10 years ago at 70. I forget his name, but if he keeps the pace he said he would - he should be getting up around there now. If he got off I am unaware of it.

Rockhound
02-10-2009, 22:09
Hope he makes it here. I'd love to meet him. 80? Wow. Getting up and over those mountains? When I'm 80 I just hope I can get out of bed.

SGT Rock
02-10-2009, 22:13
Hope he makes it here. I'd love to meet him. 80? Wow. Getting up and over those mountains? When I'm 80 I just hope I can get out of bed.

You know you can never tell about a hiker. But my impression was he was a little overly aggressive in his planning. He said he finished the trail last time in about 4 months and figured he could do it this time in about 4.5 months. But he was not in very good trail shape at the time I met him. He was only just past the Long Creek Falls turn off and seemed like he was running out of steam. But at 80 he is doing good to be out there in my book.

modiyooch
02-10-2009, 22:17
I'm NOT a winter camper and I'm envious that people are hiking the AT. The trail I have left to do is in the New England states, and it's going to be a long, long 5 months before I get out there. First I want the snow to melt, then I want to wait till the black fly season is over. Poor planning on my part. I usually get out there in the Spring.

SGT Rock
02-10-2009, 22:19
I actually like winter camping in the south. I can imagine it bites north of the Mason-Dixon, but down here they are usually mild enough for me.

TOW
02-10-2009, 22:26
I fed Trek and he left last Thursday I believe. Now I am awaiting Kayak Karl to feed him. Hope he likes beef.......

kayak karl
02-10-2009, 22:42
I fed Trek and he left last Thursday I believe. Now I am awaiting Kayak Karl to feed him. Hope he likes beef.......
love beef:banana

Tennessee Viking
02-10-2009, 22:52
Karl

You still in Erwin? I will be out and about on trail for my day off. If you want me to leave you a water cache or some magic let me know.

kayak karl
02-17-2009, 22:16
i caught up to No Name today at Vandeventer shelter. so ive met Trek, Watchman and NoName. is that everybody? ill be in Damascus this Thursday :)

Marta
02-17-2009, 22:22
You go, Karl!

I heard from Swamp Fox a couple days ago. They'll be back on the Trail in a couple of weeks.

mtnkngxt
02-18-2009, 11:13
Karl you hiking out of Damascus Friday?

kayak karl
02-20-2009, 19:53
only wanderer caught up with me in Damascus today and invited me for that diner he promised. it was great:banana. BUT there were 2 cats here when i showed up:-?

TOW
02-20-2009, 22:04
only wanderer caught up with me in Damascus today and invited me for that diner he promised. it was great:banana. BUT there were 2 cats here when i showed up:-?

And you thought it was going to be beef, but thank goodness you didn't catch on until after you had three bowls of kitty............

And how did you like that blood pudding I made ya that I spiced with a bit of cocoa? Bet you didn't catch that one............:banana

Red Hat
02-21-2009, 11:03
Trek is beyond Pearisburg, and Kayak Karl (as we can see) is in Damascus. Rocky and Swamp Fox will be back on the trail in a couple of weeks.

Blister
02-21-2009, 18:34
You know you can never tell about a hiker. But my impression was he was a little overly aggressive in his planning. He said he finished the trail last time in about 4 months and figured he could do it this time in about 4.5 months. But he was not in very good trail shape at the time I met him. He was only just past the Long Creek Falls turn off and seemed like he was running out of steam. But at 80 he is doing good to be out there in my book.

Wasn't by chance Batch????

TOW
02-23-2009, 12:02
The infamous Kayak Karl is actually leaving town today. I hogtied him down and fed him more of that blood pudding because iof the snow we had and so he would have enough strength and stamina to bypass Trek with in a week.........

warraghiyagey
02-23-2009, 12:06
I heard CoolATBreeze just crossed the Delaware Water Gap. He must be a good hiker.

TOW
02-23-2009, 12:17
I heard CoolATBreeze just crossed the Delaware Water Gap. He must be a good hiker.is he going south or north?

Lone Wolf
02-23-2009, 12:25
The infamous Kayak Karl is actually leaving town today. I hogtied him down and fed him more of that blood pudding because iof the snow we had and so he would have enough strength and stamina to bypass Trek with in a week.........

what makes him "infamous"? :-?

warraghiyagey
02-23-2009, 12:26
is he going south or north?
North I believe

TOW
02-23-2009, 14:15
what makes him "infamous"? :-?
because he is a thru hiking god.............and there is no other like him.........:banana

TOW
02-23-2009, 15:04
North I believewhen did he start?

warraghiyagey
02-23-2009, 15:07
when did he start?
Last week. . .

TOW
02-23-2009, 15:09
Well there is no way he is even near Deleware Water Gap unless he has done a bunch of Yellow Blazin........

warraghiyagey
02-23-2009, 15:14
Well there is no way he is even near Deleware Water Gap unless he has done a bunch of Yellow Blazin........
No, he's just really really fast, been pullin alot of all nighters. . .

TOW
02-23-2009, 15:22
No, he's just really really fast, been pullin alot of all nighters. . .
and he's done this all in seven days hey? he'll be the new record holder for the fastest hike on the AT.........

warraghiyagey
02-23-2009, 15:23
and he's done this all in seven days hey? he'll be the new record holder for the fastest hike on the AT.........
He's an amazing man. . .:sun

Lone Wolf
02-23-2009, 16:54
you're awful damn gullible

TOW
02-23-2009, 16:58
you're awful damn gullible
nope i was just playin along, that's my story and i am stickin to it..........