PDA

View Full Version : Who's the Guru?

Lugnut
02-10-2009, 22:27
Without ruffling a lot of feathers who do you think is the most helpful and knowledgeful in regards to the trail and how to hike it? There are many legitimate candidates. Back up your choices.

Bulldawg
02-10-2009, 22:50
Hell, I'd say Lone Wolf, but then Mowgli would accuse me of brown nosing!! I'd say Jack but then Warren Doyle would tell me I was wrong.

So ....................... my entry is SGT Rock. His gear info is infinitely useful! Plus he is one of the friendliest guys you'll ever meet. Maybe I can hike with him one day soon!

Biloxi
02-10-2009, 22:53
wow there are lots..Jack Tarlin is very helpful and knowledgeable of all things
AT
Lone wolf knows ALOT also ..though he can be a smartazz about it

Warren doyle can really give some insight into the history and such

Rock knows a great deal and is eager to lend his knowledge to newbies

Attroll,Ron haven,weary,stumpknocker..etc..etc.. there are lots

Tin Man
02-10-2009, 22:55
Weasy and Tater

warraghiyagey
02-10-2009, 22:58
Without a doubt it's Wingfoot and there are no close seconds. . . period.

Tin Man
02-10-2009, 23:01
Without a doubt it's Wingfoot and there are no close seconds. . . period.

peace be with you

Rockhound
02-10-2009, 23:03
Minnesota Smith?

Bearpaw
02-10-2009, 23:04
Lugnut nailed the three that come to mind right off the bat, Lone Wolf, Baltimore Jack, and Warren Doyle. They've all got TONS of time on trail.

But they also have very different philosophies. Wolf knows the best blue blazes, in addition to the white-blazed corridor. Jack knows the main trail corridor with hikes in most every year for over a decade. Warren Doyle knows how to coordinate an incredible amount of vehicle support and lead a group of slackpackers with a remarkable completion rate.

I know Lone Wolf and Jack personally. I like and respect both. I'd call 'em both gurus, but they'd probably take offense.

If he were online here, Beorn would also be a great resource because he knew every cheap place to chow down on maximum grub from Springer to Duncannon at least.

In the meantime, no one has to rely on just one person. There's a few hundred members here who can answer questions at any point in time. That's the beauty of Whiteblaze.

warraghiyagey
02-10-2009, 23:05
peace be with you
and also with you:sun

Biloxi
02-10-2009, 23:09
no doubt he has alot of trial knowledge..but from what I understand he hasn't been on trail for a number of years..so I am sure some things have changed AND I don't think I have ever seen him give advice to anyone on HERE..I sent him a letter when I ordered my 1st handbook asking some questions before my hike and O.. nodda..nothing ..which I found RUDE for someone making money from the trail..anyhow that was the 1 and only time I got a hand book from him..Got my APP pages today..looks great comparing the 2...thanks wingfoot :eek:

Lugnut
02-10-2009, 23:11
Lugnut nailed the three that come to mind right off the bat, Lone Wolf, Baltimore Jack, and Warren Doyle.

That was Bulldawg. I'm neutral but I do like Rockhound's entry. :p

Lucy Lulu
02-10-2009, 23:15
Mowgli, Mags, Spiriteagle

CrumbSnatcher
02-10-2009, 23:16
Lauriep

CrumbSnatcher
02-10-2009, 23:18
JACK,L.W.,nean,wingfoot,doyle, weather carrot?, can't go wrong with these either:D

warraghiyagey
02-10-2009, 23:18
no doubt he has alot of trial knowledge.. :eek:
that's not a surprise

Tin Man
02-10-2009, 23:19
Lugnut nailed the three that come to mind right off the bat, Lone Wolf, Baltimore Jack, and Warren Doyle. They've all got TONS of time on trail.

the first two are excellent sources, definitely have the info and share freely in their own unique, take-it-or-leave it styles. the latter, i will not speak of since he is not here to defend himself, other than to say he has communication issues.

warren still sections all parts of the trail and has another group slack pack coming next year, circle something expedition 2010. LW is more the retired hiker and Jack mostly hikes in the south now. (LW and JT, correct me if i am wrong, no offense meant, just reading between the posts gives me that impression)

i suspect the future AT 'gurus' will be more of a collection of section-hikers experiences rather than repeat AT thru-hikers. or, maybe someone else will emerge.

snowhoe
02-10-2009, 23:26
Mags and lonewolf

Biloxi
02-10-2009, 23:27
well..I guess I meant trail...but either or..lol:eek:

slow
02-10-2009, 23:43
MAGS,cheap:D and hikes long and lite.BTW dont miss a clue for good wine.:)

rcli4
02-11-2009, 00:32
:DWell
Jack only hikes one direction, Not sure I trust someone afraid of change
L Wolf hikes so many blue blazes he quits in New Hampshire
WD burns to much gas on his hikes

I think I would have to go with Minnie Smit. He hikes both directions, Only the white blazes, and carries more then would fit in WD's support van.

Clyde:D:D:D

Lugnut
02-11-2009, 00:36
I like that. Looks like Minnesota Smith has a chance of winning this thing. :banana

Hikerhead
02-11-2009, 00:39
I like that. Looks like Minnesota Smith has a chance of winning this thing. :banana

This ain't a Drama Queen contest.

slow
02-11-2009, 01:07
I would also say Fiddlehead.

OFF topic,COLTER hands down is the best and seen the most on his own.

warraghiyagey
02-11-2009, 01:08
I'm changing my answer from Wingfoot to Minnestoa Smith

warraghiyagey
02-11-2009, 01:10
OFF topic,COLTER hands down is the best and seen the most on his own.
Is he unable to hike if his hands aren't down?

Survivor Dave
02-11-2009, 01:19
Gene Espy. A person with genuine humility.

slow
02-11-2009, 01:42
Is he unable to hike if his hands aren't down?

I would think not since he wakes up at most times to-40 in winter.:eek:

slow
02-11-2009, 01:47
I would think not since he wakes up at most times to-40 in winter.:eek:

That is the man to watch your back in wildlife.:)

DBT fan
02-11-2009, 01:56

The man is on the Pinhoti trail even as we blog.

max patch
02-11-2009, 07:53
This was answered yesterday on another thread:

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showpost.php?p=775807&postcount=155

Tin Man
02-11-2009, 08:21
minnie?? haha. you guys joke around all you like...

tarlin and doyle are white blaze purist yappy slackers

my vote goes to the blue blazing hiker trash, hobo from hell, lone wolf

mtnkngxt
02-11-2009, 08:55
x12 on LW. Shelters suck, filters such, Purists Suck, HYOH:banana

Hooch
02-11-2009, 08:57

But they also have very different philosophies. Wolf knows the best blue blazes, in addition to the white-blazed corridor. Jack knows the main trail corridor with hikes in most every year for over a decade. Warren Doyle knows how to coordinate an incredible amount of vehicle support and lead a group of slackpackers with a remarkable completion rate.

I know Lone Wolf and Jack personally. I like and respect both. I'd call 'em both gurus, but they'd probably take offense.

If he were online here, Beorn would also be a great resource because he knew every cheap place to chow down on maximum grub from Springer to Duncannon at least.

In the meantime, no one has to rely on just one person. There's a few hundred members here who can answer questions at any point in time. That's the beauty of Whiteblaze.Such a diplomatic answer. Are you gonna run for office Bearpaw? Yes we can........:D

jersey joe
02-11-2009, 09:20
Another vote for weather carrot,

Lone Wolf
02-11-2009, 09:25
who do you think is the most helpful and knowledgeful in regards to the trail and how to hike it?

me of course. i am highly regarded and universally acknowledged as knowing the AT like no other

kanga
02-11-2009, 09:30
wolf for president!

oh, wait. is that not what we're talking about?

MOWGLI
02-11-2009, 09:30
Me. Because of my humility. :D. So much for universally acknowledged.

Lone Wolf
02-11-2009, 09:33
damascus is universally acknowledged as the best town the AT goes thru. hanover is held in low regard

warraghiyagey
02-11-2009, 09:35
wolf for president!

oh, wait. is that not what we're talking about?
With Vice President Mowgli

hanover is dumb

MOWGLI
02-11-2009, 09:39
Lone Wolf is a Maverick.

warraghiyagey
02-11-2009, 09:41
At least he seems mavericky. . .

yaduck9
02-11-2009, 09:43
Its Universally Acknowledged that your sense of humor is much like a plate of Haggis.........................it is an acquired taste.

Hey, Where is the moderator! I still can't get my name to fit!

Tin Man
02-11-2009, 09:45
Its Universally Acknowledged that your sense of humor is much like a plate of Haggis.........................it is an acquired taste.

Hey, Where is the moderator! I still can't get my name to fit!

take your sock off your puppet and you'll fit in like the rest

Rockhound
02-11-2009, 09:52
All Right! My horse is in the lead! Gooooooooo Minnie! My more thoughtful answer would be LW. His advice often comes backhanded but is generally succinct and correct.

Tin Man
02-11-2009, 09:58
All Right! My horse is in the lead! Gooooooooo Minnie! My more thoughtful answer would be LW. His advice often comes backhanded but is generally succinct and correct.

even if you don't agree with everything LW says, he does make you think...

...although most seem to correctly ignore his thoughts on hiking sticks as people generally acknowledge they help them, but no need to buy the expensive brands unless you are going to spend a lot of time on them and want the lifetime repair guarantee... this is where LW says, "sticks are not needed", there, saved him the trouble :)

Gray Blazer
02-11-2009, 10:13
TIPI!!! He looks the most like a GURU.

CrumbSnatcher
02-11-2009, 11:41
[quote=Lugnut;776176] who do you think is the most helpful and knowledgeful in regards to the trail and how to hike it? LAURIEP

Kanati
02-11-2009, 11:54
[quote=Lugnut;776176] who do you think is the most helpful and knowledgeful in regards to the trail and how to hike it? LAURIEP

'WILDCAT !!!

No Belay
02-11-2009, 12:01
Blissful, She tirelessly answers redundant newbie questions with patience and a cyber smile while very rarely portraying her response as the "defining" answer as a few other of the GURUs here tend to do.

TaTonka

Tinker
02-11-2009, 12:08
I like that answer. I'll go with Blissful and Laurie P. (official ATC spokesperson), and maybe Jack Tarlin. Lone Wolf and Jack could be tied for third?
Warren Doyle doesn't post here enough (though that may not make a difference in "most knowledgeable and helpful"). I believe he's hiked the trail over a dozen times, mostly with the group hikes he leads.
I think to be "most knowledgeable" you have to have hiked large sections of the trail recently. I don't know who that may exclude.

buckwheat
02-11-2009, 12:12
I think it depends on what type of knowledge you need:

* If you want information on how to live in the wilderness - Tipi Walter
* If you want to know how to hike long distance - Mags and Garlic
* If you want to know woman-specific hiking information - Blissful

All of these folks have a lot of all around hiking experience, but they have (my opinion) especially useful knowledge in these noted niche areas of expertise.

My short time on Whiteblaze ... these are the GoTo folks, people I'd call gurus not only for the depth of their knowledge, but for their willingness and ability to share it with others.

You can't be a guru if you're keeping most of it to yourself or are unable to communicate in a way that draws people to you. These folks consistently share their information in a positive way with the goal of helping others (rather than "showing off" their knowledge).

As to the quality of the information you'll receive, these are the folks I'd defer to even if my own intuition might disagree with what they're saying. If my gut told me one thing, and Mags or Garlic or Blissful told me another thing, I'd go with their suggestion.

My 2c.

Cheers,
Buckwheat

Bare Bear
02-11-2009, 12:53
Can't we all just get along?

Lone Wolf
02-11-2009, 12:54

who ain't gettin' along? :-?

Rockhound
02-11-2009, 13:00
Dems fightin' werds.

Tinker
02-11-2009, 13:27
who ain't gettin' along? :-?
Beats me!
It's perfectly fine if people have different opinions - makes the world go 'round.

Btw: Why isn't anyone an "AT Rabbi"??:-?

Gray Blazer
02-11-2009, 13:49
Beats me!
It's perfectly fine if people have different opinions - makes the world go 'round.

Btw: Why isn't anyone an "AT Rabbi"??:-?

......or.....the Mother of All Hikers.

buff_jeff
02-11-2009, 13:58
You.
It is only you that knows how to best hike the trail in a manner suitable to your own goals, needs, and desires. Nobody else, no "guru," can teach you those things.

kanga
02-11-2009, 13:59
oh god! gasp! ack! faint! reason...noOOOOO!

1azarus
02-11-2009, 15:04
any room for an equipment guru? ... i guess not. weenies... right?

Dogwood
02-11-2009, 16:16
Without ruffling a lot of feathers who do you think is the most helpful and knowledgeful in regards to the trail and how to hike it? There are many legitimate candidates. Back up your choices.

And why is that important? What makes one person deserving of that title and not another? Why can't it just be left at knowing that many have contributed to making the AT a better place and appreciate that? We all can learn from all those who have been helpful and contribute their knowledge. To single out any one person as "The GURU" diminishes the contributions of others.

Rockhound
02-11-2009, 16:19
And why is that important? What makes one person deserving of that title and not another? Why can't it just be left at knowing that many have contributed to making the AT a better place and appreciate that? We all can learn from all those who have been helpful and contribute their knowledge. To single out any one person as "The GURU" diminishes the contributions of others.
That is the most astute response I've seen so far. I say we vote Dogwood king of the gurus.

Jack Tarlin
02-11-2009, 16:34
Wow. Interesting thread. And most of my favorite posters have already been mentioned, but I always look forward to hearing from Mags; LaurieP; Fiddlehead; Jim Owen (under whatever name he's using at the moment); Weary (especially when he's talking about Maine); WalkinHome; Miss Janet;
Redneck Rye (who probably knows more about gear than anyone on this website but he's never a dick about it); Ron Haven; Max Patch; Peaks; and especially, and I don't think anyone's mentioned him, Sgt. Rock, who isn't hear often enough, never fails to make sense when he is here, can say in one sentence what I say in four paragraphs, and is always the voice of reason at just the right time. Oh, Lone Wolf, too. I don't always agree with him, but he's certainly a man of pith.

Thumbs up for most of the moderators, too, like Alligator and Ed Bell.

But my favorite poster: Jester2000, of course.

He makes me laugh, and usually it happens on a day when laughs are in short supply.

Apologies to the folks I'm leaving out, I'll probably have to post again.

Tin Man
02-11-2009, 16:39
jack gets it... more rock, less talk :sun

Jack Tarlin
02-11-2009, 16:56
Let's add Skyline, Bfitz, CrumbSnatcher, Bearpaw, Chomp, and Jim Adams!

And Good Lord, how on earth could we all have forgotton Matthewski, who always provides a unique perspective.

And bacon.

Ox97GaMe
02-11-2009, 17:34
I would say that the best 'guru' that a thru hiker wanna be can get is a collection of information from the previous 2 years hikers. The trail changes each year and it is almost impossible for any one person to know about all of those changes (good and bad). I would also suggest that a hiker wanna be check with folks that have hiked more than one single trail. A hiker can learn a lot by hiking other regions (West Coast, Rockies, desert, etc.

All that being said... Im not putting my name in the hat as a guru of any kind. I just enjoy time in the woods. At the end of the day...... Hike your own hike. There are so many variables out there that it is almost impossible for any one person to hike exactly like someone else. Shoot... I would HATE to have to do another thru hike EXACTLY like I did back then. The trail, the gear, the towns, and the hiking community have all changed a lot since then. Any information received should be taken as just that. It is information or opinion. It is not necessarily fact or 'the gospel'.

Happy Hiking,

warren doyle
02-11-2009, 18:10
Hell, I'd say Lone Wolf, but then Mowgli would accuse me of brown nosing!! I'd say Jack but then Warren Doyle would tell me I was wrong.

So ....................... my entry is SGT Rock. His gear info is infinitely useful! Plus he is one of the friendliest guys you'll ever meet. Maybe I can hike with him one day soon!

No, I wouldn't.

buckwheat
02-11-2009, 19:24
To single out any one person as "The GURU" diminishes the contributions of others.

I don't believe that it does. I think to single out some folks as guru's is important because it pays tribute to the service they provide. Not everyone's contribution on Whiteblaze is equal ... and for the newcomer, it can be hard to figure out who the 'posers' are and who the real knowledgeable people are.

Some people know a lot, but aren't friendly about communicating it, but they'll surely pipe up to tell you how wrong you are.

They're not the guru's you're looking for.

Others are patient and eager to share their knowledge in a positive way to the betterment of their fellow hiker and the sport. They should be singled out and acknowledged.

And thanked.

My 2c.

Cheers,
Buckwheat

Jack Tarlin
02-11-2009, 19:52
On the other hand, Buckwheat, what happens here quite a lot is someone giving very forthright advice on what is required to successfully thru-hike.....when their own background and experience includes minimal time on the Appalachian Trail. In cases like this, it's perfectly OK to question this advice.

Or sometimes, people give counsel or advice that is simply not very good, and this is NOT limited to inexperienced or ill-informed people. Sometimes perfectly well-intentioned people give bad advice. Sometimes really experienced people give lousy advice. And they should be corrected or questioned like anyone else.

So while I agree with you that it always pays to be as diplomatic and friendly as possible when posting, there's nothing wrong with telling someone you disagree with what they've said.

There's a further problem, in that there are folks who can't deal with anyone disagreeing with them, and who view any criticism or commentary on their posts as a personal attack, and that's too bad.

Truth is, there are a whole lot of really well-informed folks here at WB, so I'd agree with the folks who say that naming just a small number of folks will inevitably leave out an awful lot of really good people. There aren't just a handful of "gurus" here; there are actually dozens of them, and the website is better for this. There are perhaps 10,000 folks who've hiked the whole A.T., and they've all done it a bit differently, so anytime you hear someone say that you must do it THEIR way or you're doomed to failure.......well, that's when it's time to get another opinion. There's no shortage of gurus. Just be leery of the self-proclaimed ones.

SGT Rock
02-11-2009, 21:16
My opinion has been this for a few years (since the old trail place)...

Stick around. Listen to everyone. People you may not like or agree with often have a great point or another way of looking at things. Sometimes people try to just be nice and get along - but occasionally you need the pithy guys with thousands of miles of trail time to challenge your assumptions.

And when it comes to many pieces of advice - that advice is often from a person's viewpoint and hiking style. Try interacting with folks for a while to learn them, then listen to those whose tastes and styles sound the most like yours or what you think yours is if you don't have a lot of hiking experience yet. Eventually you will know what advice will suit you and what advice, though good, may not work for you.

Lone Wolf
02-11-2009, 21:26
the "guru" is the person that goes out and hikes the trail with no info, asks for nothin', no internet know-it-alls telling one how to do it, then gets on here and says have fun.

hiking the AT a bunch of years in a row means nothing. that person knows what's good for that person.

ed bell
02-11-2009, 21:27
Broken record here, but the SGT. submits yet another thoughtful post. Glad to see him around again.:sun

ed bell
02-11-2009, 21:34
There are and have been too many quality members here to name. Simply going back to some of the earlier posts in the history here can be quite enlightening. This reminds me of Moxie's post about "good trail tricks I've learned". Moxie passed away recently, but that thread continued on and has some GREAT advice in it with submissions by all kinds of folks here.

SGT Rock
02-11-2009, 21:50
My Gurus (and not all are here or on the net anymore)

Gear: Hungry Howie, Nigal, and Sweeper.

Re-supply and general knowledge of towns and facilities: Jack Tarlin

AT History: Warren Doyle

Having a realistic attitude about hiking: Lone Wolf

Other long trails: Mags and Sly

Trail Maintenance inspiration: Bob Peoples and Mowgli

There are probably others I am forgetting now, but these stick out in my mind. When I see one of these people post - I pay attention.

mudcap
02-11-2009, 21:51
I agree with Dogwood 100 % . Guru,what the hell is that crap about ?

Bearpaw
02-11-2009, 22:09
the "guru" is the person that goes out and hikes the trail with no info, asks for nothin', no internet know-it-alls telling one how to do it, then gets on here and says have fun.

Dude, that was me, mostly because when I thru-hiked, there wasn't a Whiteblaze, just the ATC maps and one guidebook. In some ways, I think maybe that was better...

But what do I know? I damn sure no guru.

Bulldawg
02-11-2009, 22:24
Lone Wolf is a Maverick.

But I thought I saw a sticker for that "O" guy on his truck at the Ruck???:-?:eek:

MOWGLI
02-11-2009, 22:35
But I thought I saw a sticker for that "O" guy on his truck at the Ruck???:-?:eek:

Must have been a helluva night - the night before!

Bulldawg
02-11-2009, 22:36
Must have been a helluva night - the night before!

Weren't you there ?:banana

MOWGLI
02-11-2009, 22:38
Weren't you there ?:banana

I was a commuter. My party was in Asheville the night before. :banana

sheepdog
02-11-2009, 22:39
http://www.fotosearch.com/bthumb/CSP/CSP100/1009238.jpgThe AT Gnu

MOWGLI
02-11-2009, 22:40

Who Gnu?

MOWGLI
02-11-2009, 22:47

How Gnow, Brown Cow.

sheepdog
02-11-2009, 22:53
LNT the AT gnu is wachin you

buff_jeff
02-11-2009, 23:04

hiking the AT a bunch of years in a row means nothing. that person knows what's good for that person.

Thank you. That's what I was trying to say, but you have more gravitas here than I do. :D

Lugnut
02-11-2009, 23:13
I heard he had athlete's feet but I didn't know about the gravitas. :eek:

kanga
02-12-2009, 17:04
On the other hand, Buckwheat, what happens here quite a lot is someone giving very forthright advice on what is required to successfully thru-hike.....when their own background and experience includes minimal time on the Appalachian Trail. In cases like this, it's perfectly OK to question this advice.

Or sometimes, people give counsel or advice that is simply not very good, and this is NOT limited to inexperienced or ill-informed people. Sometimes perfectly well-intentioned people give bad advice. Sometimes really experienced people give lousy advice. And they should be corrected or questioned like anyone else.

So while I agree with you that it always pays to be as diplomatic and friendly as possible when posting, there's nothing wrong with telling someone you disagree with what they've said.

There's a further problem, in that there are folks who can't deal with anyone disagreeing with them, and who view any criticism or commentary on their posts as a personal attack, and that's too bad.

Truth is, there are a whole lot of really well-informed folks here at WB, so I'd agree with the folks who say that naming just a small number of folks will inevitably leave out an awful lot of really good people. There aren't just a handful of "gurus" here; there are actually dozens of them, and the website is better for this. There are perhaps 10,000 folks who've hiked the whole A.T., and they've all done it a bit differently, so anytime you hear someone say that you must do it THEIR way or you're doomed to failure.......well, that's when it's time to get another opinion. There's no shortage of gurus. Just be leery of the self-proclaimed ones.

truer words have never been spoken.

Jack Tarlin
02-12-2009, 17:25
You just can't give it up, eh, Kanga?

Maybe if you ever start spending more time hiking than posting, we might even get some words of wisdom from YOU someday.

Maybe. :D

kanga
02-12-2009, 17:31
eh, it's easy but it's fun. the day i pay off my mortgage will be the day i can hike full time. but then, i'll be hiking, so i won't be here to spout my wisdom..

Jack Tarlin
02-12-2009, 17:47
Yeah?

Lately all you've been spouting about seems to be me or responding to something I've said.

You might wanna look into a new hobby...... :rolleyes:

kanga
02-12-2009, 17:49
then your focus is only on a few threads. it's not a hobby. it's a passing amusement. quit trying to fit me into one of your creepy little boxes.

Jack Tarlin
02-12-2009, 17:54
the only thing remotely "crrepy" here, Kanga, is your obsession with my comments and postings.

Now, back in your box, OK? This is getting old.

Bye, Kanga.

kanga
02-12-2009, 17:56
creeepy..

dixicritter
02-12-2009, 19:53
Wow... Ok, So don't quote Jack and agree with him... got it!

As for gurus... I'm not sure I really like that term, but here's an example of hikers I would respect the advice of... Marta, Jan Liteshoe, Mags, Rock, Lone Wolf, Jack, and I'm sure there's more.

cow_rock_camper
02-12-2009, 19:54
the trail is the best place to learn about hiking.

sheepdog
02-12-2009, 19:57
Who told you that load of BS? ;)

cow_rock_camper
02-12-2009, 19:58
Who told you that load of BS? ;)
tarlin.

Tipi Walter
02-12-2009, 20:05
The only trail guru I know about is Milarepa, a Tibetan yogi from several centuries ago. He lived out constantly and roamed the Himalayan mountains, living under overhangs and eating boiled nettles, among other things. Every 10 years or so he'd come down to a town and tell interested wannabe yogis where to find three things: A cave, a spring, and a patch of nettles. This guy hiked constantly and lived out permanently, and he amassed a lifetime of bag nights.

cow_rock_camper
02-12-2009, 20:09
The only trail guru I know about is Milarepa, a Tibetan yogi from several centuries ago. He lived out constantly and roamed the Himalayan mountains, living under overhangs and eating boiled nettles, among other things. Every 10 years or so he'd come down to a town and tell interested wannabe yogis where to find three things: A cave, a spring, and a patch of nettles. This guy hiked constantly and lived out permanently, and he amassed a lifetime of bag nights.
now that sounds like a true guru.

Rockhound
02-12-2009, 20:14
Yes, but does he have a patch?

sheepdog
02-12-2009, 20:20
A patch of nettles, wern't cha payin attention?

Tipi Walter
02-12-2009, 20:22
A patch of nettles, wern't cha payin attention?

Exactomundio.

SGT Rock
02-12-2009, 20:30
Stick to his loin cloth.

oso loco
02-12-2009, 20:46
eh, it's easy but it's fun. the day i pay off my mortgage will be the day i can hike full time. but then, i'll be hiking, so i won't be here to spout my wisdom..

So why do you have to pay off the mortgage? I didn't - I quit the job, sold the house and went hikin' - twice. :)

Then I retired and went hikin' again. :D

Then I had to get a new knee - but I'll still be hikin' again before you pay off the mortgage.

So what's the big problem? Sell the house and come join me. :D

How's that for free advice? Just remember - free advice is worth what you pay for it - and the payment is rarely in cash. :banana

Oh yeah - for Jack - bun-bun is still hiking. I'll let you know when he gets back. :)

sheepdog
02-12-2009, 20:48
the guru hath spoken

Lugnut
02-13-2009, 00:36
This guy hiked constantly and lived out permanently, and he amassed a lifetime of bag nights.

I've done that but we seperated several years ago. :D

camojack
02-13-2009, 02:25
me of course. i am highly regarded and universally acknowledged as knowing the AT like no other
Where's the sarcasm smiley? Oh, wait...here 'tis: :rolleyes:

phenimore
02-13-2009, 14:08
I'm not a hiker. I'm a pack sniffer who has always wanted to wander off into the woods.

I've read a few books and gleaned some information on Whiteblaze. The "gurus" who have given me the advice I hope to carry:

Robert Cooper, my grandfather, for a whole lot.
Roland Muessler for answering questions i didnt know i had
Wingfoot for answering questions i shouldn't have worried about
Ray Jardine for making me question accepted wisdom (including his!)
Bill Bryson for making me realize the kind of thing i want to get away from
Ed Garvey for reminding me of what i want to get closer to.
Here on WB:
Mags for making me hike his hike dammit
Warren and Jack ... for being bafflingly passionate and enthusiastic
Sgt Rock for showing that wisdom is simple and best with knowledge
Lonewolf for being himself, pissing me off, and saying three words that I think of most every day in most anything I'm doing. "It's only walking."

Thanks guys; I owe ya'll a beer. I'll take my brown nosing out of your packs now!

Jack Tarlin
02-13-2009, 14:26
Let me know when you're getting close to Hanover and we can have that beer at my place.

Have a great trip!

yaduck9
02-14-2009, 12:37

"Yes, my my precious, I have found my precious"

Gollum from Lord Of The Rings. :rolleyes:

Tha Wookie
02-15-2009, 23:43

Not anybody who EVER posts on this site. no offense matthewski

JAK
02-16-2009, 06:16
I like everyone's advice that I agree with and dislike everyone's advice that I disagree with,
at least until I figure out otherwise, which I'll get around to, eventually, someday, maybe.

camojack
02-16-2009, 07:58
Not anybody who EVER posts on this site. no offense matthewski
So, by definition you're including yourself in that blanket statement...since you are someone who "posts on this site". :D

Marta
02-16-2009, 08:29

And here, out of left field, comes the best advice of all.

Very nice.

Wishing you well with the bionic knee, Jim!

TJ aka Teej
02-17-2009, 12:20
"Guru"?
Only Doyle fits the definition.

Lone Wolf
02-17-2009, 12:25
"Guru"?
Only Doyle fits the definition.

so you agree he is a guru. he does have the most miles and knowledge of anyone using the trail today.

Jack Tarlin
02-17-2009, 12:29
With all due respect, Wolf, a guru, by definition, is a teacher.

Except at his for-profit "Institutes", and his once every five year hiking "expeditions", and a few annual lectures at the ALDHA Gathering, when and where does Mr. Doyle teach and and share his knowledge of the Trail?

It certainly doesn't seem to be here on Whiteblaze, or anywhere else that the public can access it. :-?

Just askin'.

TJ aka Teej
02-17-2009, 12:45
so you agree he is a guru.
I agree a guru is what a guru is.

TJ aka Teej
02-17-2009, 12:54
a guru, by definition, is a teacher.
A certain kind of teacher, yes.
A guru is most often one regarded as having special knowledge by novices and acolytes, and who dispenses wisdom to his loyal devotees. They come rupee-a-dozen in India.

Lone Wolf
02-17-2009, 12:59

Except at his for-profit "Institutes", and his once every five year hiking "expeditions", and a few annual lectures at the ALDHA Gathering, when and where does Mr. Doyle teach and and share his knowledge of the Trail?

It certainly doesn't seem to be here on Whiteblaze, or anywhere else that the public can access it. :-?

Just askin'.

he's a guru and you know it. your hatred for him blinds you

MOWGLI
02-17-2009, 13:04
Professor Doyle teaches at Lees-McRae College in Banner Elk, NC.

Jack Tarlin
02-17-2009, 13:04
I don't want to get into this nonsense, Wolf, and I'm not gonna get baited by you, either. This is kind of a fun thread, and I don't want to see it get poisoned.

But for the record, there's no hatred or malice in my above post. I was merely making the point that there are plenty of folks who, over the years, have been a helluva lot more free and open about sharing their knowledge with others than the fellow you're talking about.

Hell, even YOU have been a better guru, at least when you're not out trolling or stirring up the S***pot.

And I think that's my last word on this for awhile.

Lone Wolf
02-17-2009, 13:05
Warren Doyle is THE guru on the AT

kanga
02-17-2009, 13:20

yes. it is universally acknowledged.

neighbor dave
02-17-2009, 13:23
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3O2GJIpSQH4&feature=related

Sly
02-17-2009, 13:53

Just askin'.

You just answered. During his classes, at the Gathering and Trail Days for the last 20+ years.

This is all you really need.

Warren's AT Hiking Book (http://www.lmc.edu/faculty/DoyleW/ATBook.html)

Nearly Normal
02-17-2009, 14:19
I think the question should be.....
"...what kinda guru are you..."
Frank Zappa

Blissful
02-17-2009, 14:36
Warren is great on some things but there are things he advocates that I disagree with.
No one person is right about everything. Each one supplies and you take the sum of the parts.

MOWGLI
02-17-2009, 15:02
No one person is right about everything. Each one supplies and you take the sum of the parts.

That makes far too much sense. :)

Nightwalker
02-17-2009, 15:05

So ....................... my entry is SGT Rock. His gear info is infinitely useful! Plus he is one of the friendliest guys you'll ever meet. Maybe I can hike with him one day soon!Yeah. Rock knows more about gear than most, and is less likely to make fun of folks than most. Good quals.

Nightwalker
02-17-2009, 15:09
Clyde:D:D:D

You're my hero, TC.

Blue Caboose
02-17-2009, 15:35
Only 4 weeks on the AT so far......so IMHO

You are your own guru. Along with all the things that you take on the trail, or more importantly leave behind, take all that you can learn here on Whiteblaze. All of these folks are passionate about sharing advice and if you ever meet them on the trail you will be amazed at their generosity. Listen to everyone and stow it away in your head.

But....Then you must hike, hike as long as you can, hike in all kinds of weather. When a situation comes up and you need knowledge you will probably remember at least several ways to handle it that you picked up from one of the many posters on WB. You will also know witch one is right for you.

Jack Tarlin
02-17-2009, 15:51
Hey, Sly, I gotta ask......

If all one really needs to know is found in Warren's alleged "book", then why on earth have you posted here 12,000 times? :D

kanga
02-17-2009, 16:02
maybe b/c this forum isn't just about finding information, but about meeting people with the same interests as you and conversing with them, making friends, finding hiking partners, passing along knowledge that you've picked up along the way, reading trail reports for places you're fixing to go, laughing over funny stories. i don't know. i could be wrong. it's happened once before.

Sly
02-17-2009, 16:12

If all one really needs to know is found in Warren's alleged "book", then why on earth have you posted here 12,000 times? :D

LOL... good point! ;)

Who started this stupid thread anyway? :D

neighbor dave
02-17-2009, 16:13
http://ii.ellusionist.com/ellusionist/images/en_US//local/products/detail/FOURFIFTYCENT_dt.jpg

http://c230.files.wordpress.com/2008/02/cup-of-coffee.jpg

come out come out where ever you are!!!
http://thesingh28.tripod.com/id15.html

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q3nDQFickqY

Lugnut
02-17-2009, 16:42
Who started this stupid thread anyway? :D

I did. I've hated myself ever since!

Nightwalker
02-17-2009, 19:35

Like most of us, he likes to talk!

camojack
02-17-2009, 19:41
For slackpacking, to be sure...

minnesotasmith
02-18-2009, 04:34
Wow. Interesting thread. And most of my favorite posters have already been mentioned, but I always look forward to hearing from Mags; LaurieP; Fiddlehead; Jim Owen (under whatever name he's using at the moment); Weary (especially when he's talking about Maine); WalkinHome; Miss Janet;
Redneck Rye (who probably knows more about gear than anyone on this website but he's never a dick about it); Ron Haven; Max Patch; Peaks; and especially, and I don't think anyone's mentioned him, Sgt. Rock, who isn't hear often enough, never fails to make sense when he is here, can say in one sentence what I say in four paragraphs, and is always the voice of reason at just the right time. Oh, Lone Wolf, too. I don't always agree with him, but he's certainly a man of pith.

What about on nutrition?

mweinstone
02-18-2009, 08:20
baltimore jack tarlin has made my hiking days better.baltimore jack tarlin has made my hiking nights better. baltimore jack tarlin has made my hiking food better. baltimore jack tarlin has made my hiking gear better. baltimore jack tarlin has made my hiking attitude better. baltimore jack tarlin has made my hiking skill better. baltimore jack tarlin has made my hiking into duncannon for the 6th anual billville winter warmer with a bottle of creek for him and a lot of hug, better.

Lone Wolf
02-18-2009, 08:22
don't make him a guru though. hail warren!

mweinstone
02-18-2009, 08:59
Sorry all, the ultimate guru can not even post on this site. It is Tucker, Malla's dog he taught me everything that needs to be known about hiking:
1) When you stop immediatly lay down and rest till you feel like getting up again
2) He doesn't beg and he carrys his own stuff
3) He is watchful and concerned for thoses around him
4) He shows love with big fat sloppy kisses!!

Tipi Walter
02-18-2009, 09:01
Only 4 weeks on the AT so far......so IMHO

You are your own guru.

Then you must hike, hike as long as you can, hike in all kinds of weather.

I agree with this. When the "Bag Night Bug" bites, and the newbie throws his bedroll down on the ground in a yard behind his house, or wherever else, it's his own internal motivation and willingness to learn from Miss Nature Herself that will propel him forward. The stone-age desire to sleep outdoors no matter what combined with a willing Mother Nature to supply the blue vistas and the green pines, is the beginning enrollment in what I call the "ridgetop university." For those called, school is in session and the heart hears the call and the inner Guru is awakened, the gear comes later.

So begins a lifetime of bag nights, pumping nylon and wilderness hobo homelessness. There won't be any in-the-flesh mentors for the newb willing to lay out his winter bedroll behind a cedar tree next to a church or in a town cemetary or on a friend's back deck or in a treeline outside of town. It's the call of the wild and every spot on the planet is studied in passing as a potential night's camp. From the stealth camps and yard camps a newb can graduate and expand to further trails and with a topo map in hand can explore the wide world of rent-free living. This is one example of living out.

Another example is for a newb to get the bug and have enough cash to get the gear right from the start, and then to hit a designated trail like the AT and have at it. If the snarling and chortling inner guru-bug really bites, well, he won't ever get off the trail and if he does it will be unwillingly and done with an eye ever surveying the next campsite or mountain range.

Like any real teacher, his inner backpacking Guru will demand a monk-like existence in order to stay out and pump nylon: No wife, no children, minimal working and a life of poverty, and living in primitive shelters w/o running water or electricity. Funny thing is, this Guru is inside all humans, we started as neolithic nomads and hikers, living with little and always outdoors, and so it isn't hard for any human to hear the call of the wild. It's just the ones who surrender to it that I'm talking about. In the old days you could bring along the wife and kids and still life out, nowadays the hypnotic allure of CASH-CARS-COUCHES and COMFORT divides and tries to snuff out the old stone-age imperative, and so the individuals who hear the call today must do so alone.

mweinstone
02-18-2009, 09:01
woopse thats not mattehewski that was bearpaw.... sorry forgot to sign out

Jaybird
02-18-2009, 09:08

I'd have to say, ....for me...its been my mentor,(& friend) "Model-T"..
but also have to mention "LONE WOLF" (a great ambassador for the TRAIL) & "Baltimore Jack" for being a good, all-around guy with loads of INFO.

IN FACT....i'll be hiking with "Model-T", & "Jigsaw" & "DAKS" in May from Harpers Ferry NOBO to Swatara Gap,PA

Lone Wolf
02-18-2009, 10:12
Sorry all, the ultimate guru can not even post on this site. It is Tucker, Malla's dog he taught me everything that needs to be known about hiking:
1) When you stop immediatly lay down and rest till you feel like getting up again
2) He doesn't beg and he carrys his own stuff
3) He is watchful and concerned for thoses around him
4) He shows love with big fat sloppy kisses!!

that fat ass mutt stole your bacon and all mala could say was "oh well"

Heater
02-18-2009, 10:35
I think the question should be.....
"...what kinda guru are you..."
Frank Zappa

Being a guru doesn't pay much.

Dontchya know you could make more money as a Butcher?

MOWGLI
02-18-2009, 10:37
Being a guru doesn't pay much.

Dontchya know you could make more money as a Butcher?

And if you don't have any knives, there is always Karaoke. :p

Blue Caboose
02-18-2009, 13:37
Wow Tipi, you are a poet.

Your post realy sings.

Tha Wookie
02-18-2009, 14:11
So, by definition you're including yourself in that blanket statement...since you are someone who "posts on this site". :D

Exactly.

If one seeks enlightenment he will surely never find it.

Tipi Walter
02-18-2009, 15:09
Wow Tipi, you are a poet.

Your post realy sings.

Yeah, but it's so long I can barely sit to reread it.

Lone Wolf
02-18-2009, 15:10
enlightenment

it visits me a lot

Digger'02
02-18-2009, 15:27
how about Bob Proudman who has personally built A.T. from Katahadin to Springer over the last 30 years (and counting) and trained many of the current designers, builders and protectors of the A.T.

CrumbSnatcher
02-18-2009, 19:18
trail guru? alot of ya!!! one of the best well behaved,friendliest, traildogs no contest my BEAR(dog) theres alot of people on white blaze who have met bear, i would love to hear anyone who ever had a problem with my hiking partner! good luck finding somebody? A.T.hiker from 1998-2005 anyway thats my biased opionion. she never ruinned anyones gear or stole anything. sure do miss her. hope all you guru's get some hikin' in:)

hootyhoo
02-18-2009, 19:37
Who is the anti - Guru?
For guru I guess I would have to say...pause... wait for it...
I can't say. There are too many. But I'll ya tell this- reading these forums has been fun and enlightening.
I remember the big smile on my face when I built my first Traildad tuna stove- just like the one in the picture. And how I showed it off to everyone. My first pepsi stove. My first quilt, god rest its soul.
And the first night I spend under my poncho in a downpour.
My first WM bag. My first pair of Montrails. And on and on...
I am migrating back to a traditional style now, but there is still plenty of information that I find useful on every level. And plenty of banter to fill the gaps. Of all the forums I have been on this is the best of them all.
By far the best of them all.

camojack
02-18-2009, 21:35
Exactly.
If one seeks enlightenment he will surely never find it.
All you have to do is flip a switch. Unless the power's out...or the lightbulb's fried. ;)
(That holds true for flashlights and headlamps, too...)

Wags
02-18-2009, 23:32
i consider jak the guru of wool clothing

Tinker
02-18-2009, 23:36
hootyhoo: "Of all the forums I have been on this is the best of them all.
By far the best of them all."

I'm still looking for the winking smiley..............

I'll have whatever he's drinking. :D

theinfamousj
02-18-2009, 23:41
With all due respect, Wolf, a guru, by definition, is a teacher. ... when and where does Mr. Doyle teach and and share his knowledge of the Trail?

Lees McRae college in Banner Elk, NC (https://www.directory.lmc.edu/Public_Employees_ViewIndividual.php?deid=42). He's a professor in the Appalachian Studies department (http://www.lmc.edu/web/academics/Schools/artsciences/AppalachianStudies/FacultyInformation.htm).

Met him once when I was up there for a summer class. Nice guy. Gave us all a copy of the AT Data book.

The WD who posts on here and the one I met seem to be different folks. I'd imagine we all have different personalities online vs our offline personalities.

warren doyle
02-19-2009, 01:58
Actually, if you read more carefully, I do most of my teaching in the Teacher Education Program. I also teach a few courses for Appalachian Studies and Wilderness Studies.

Wags
02-20-2009, 00:02
i picked up a book today at the library on walking the AT. warren doyle's had a whole chapter in it. no of the other candidates did so he wins

i didn't get the book though

minnesotasmith
02-26-2009, 13:45
TIPI!!! He looks the most like a GURU.

Even more like Dr. Burt. ;)