PDA

View Full Version : Lightweight rectanglular sleeping bag?

WritinginCT
02-10-2009, 23:37
Anyone have any recommendations for a lightweight rectangular sleeping bag? I'm looking at needing about a 30 degree bag (spring/summer/early fall).

I'd like a rectangular bag that I can unzip and use as a quilt if I want to. I tend to be a very warm sleeper provided I'm not in a direct draft.

This'll be my first backpacking sleeping bag- and honestly I'm a little nervous about down and my own lack of keeping-stuff-dry experience so I think synthetic might be better (but I'm not set in stone about this).

Any suggestions? :confused:

brooklynkayak
02-10-2009, 23:40
Campmor has a pretty good and inexpensive 20 degree down bag that I consider good down to 30 degrees.

I've used this as a quilt for me an my wife and I don't know anything better for the price.

I'd agree that down is susceptible to moisture, but the synthetics are just too heavy and bulky.

Wags
02-11-2009, 00:36
i actually bought my 1st bag as a summer bag. +40 lafuma, b/c i was cheap and wasn't really sure what i wanted out of a bag. that 1st season i just used that bag and only went out when i knew temps wouldn't drop below 40. i was glad i did b/c i was able to figure out through experience what i wanted in a better bag, and that way i can keep my cheapo summer bag to use during the summer, when bag isn't that important. i kept it light

that way i was able to avoid buying the same temp bag twice. b/c i was too cheap early to do it but later realized that you get what you pay for in sleeping bags...

this link may be along the lines of what you're looking for:

http://www.google.com/products?q=semi+rectangular+bag

Seeker
02-11-2009, 08:28
lightweight/rectangular is something of an oxymoron... and don't just assume that you can't use a mummy bag unzipped as a quilt... you might find the foot pocket convenient for that. i use my WM Caribou like that most of the time.

BrianLe
02-11-2009, 14:50
I'm with Seeker on this. I've got a Western Mountaineering Summerlite bag from a couple of years ago; at the time I bought it, at least, it was a very light weight choice for a 32-degree rated bag with a full-length zipper ... so indeed, I can and do sleep with it like a quilt unless it's cold enough to warrant zipping up. It's not a particularly cheap bag, however.

Down vs. synthetic: this has, I think, been talked out pretty thoroughly in other threads. I hike in the pacific northwest where it gets pretty wet, and I thru-hiked the PCT last year, all with a down bag. Most thru-hikers I ran into were using down bags. With a bit of care the bag can be kept dry, and it's so much lighter and packs so much smaller (note that the latter can be significant too if you're trying to move to a backpack that is itself lighter weight).

Spogatz
02-11-2009, 14:58
Mountain Crossings has the Frog bag. I have one and love it but I don't think it would be good down to 32.

Ender
02-11-2009, 15:05
http://www.westernmountaineering.com/index.cfm?section=Products&page=Sleeping%20Bags&cat=Microfiber%20Series&viewpost=2&ContentId=73

Pootz
02-11-2009, 15:11
I would highly recommend Western Mountaineering sleeping bags. They cost more than most but are worth the money. I used 2 different ones on my thru hike. A caribou during warmer months and a versalite for the start of my hike. Really needed it for the smokies. Neither are rectangular but that was not a problem when I used them like a quilt. both have full zippers so you can use them as a quilt. They offer many other bags so you can get a temp rating that will fit your needs.

http://www.westernmountaineering.com/index.cfm?section=Products&page=Sleeping%20Bags&cat=Microfiber%20Series&viewpost=2&ContentId=23

WritinginCT
02-12-2009, 13:13
I do keep looking at that Campmor down bag. The weight is good as is the price.

I've tried out a couple of the mummy and semi-rectangular bags and I'm really not comfortable in them. Because of my back injury I sleep in some funky positions and they just don't work well.

Thanks for the input!:banana

hopefulhiker
02-12-2009, 16:30
another vote for the WM bags.. they make a semirectangular set of bags that are big enough..

sloopjonboswell
02-13-2009, 03:06
a WM down bag was the only upper-crust purchase i made when i decided to hike for six months.. my first down bag ever. good luck w/ rectangles. (i've got terrible sciatica) but as far as being worried about keeping it dry, get a trash bag or two. the down bags can stuff so small you'll be glad you went that route.

when it does get wet, stick it up your shirt while you cook breakfast/ dry it out with body heat.. when it was really cold, i had a fleece blanket or two to serve as a liner/scarf.

good luck, i'd love to hear what you end up with.

jrwiesz
02-13-2009, 04:58
Anyone have any recommendations for a lightweight rectangular sleeping bag? I'm looking at needing about a 30 degree bag (spring/summer/early fall).

I'd like a rectangular bag that I can unzip and use as a quilt if I want to. I tend to be a very warm sleeper provided I'm not in a direct draft.

This'll be my first backpacking sleeping bag- and honestly I'm a little nervous about down and my own lack of keeping-stuff-dry experience so I think synthetic might be better (but I'm not set in stone about this).

Any suggestions? :confused:

Here.

http://marmot.com/spring_2009/equipment/sleeping_bags/synthetic/womens_trestles_30_reg

A little heavier.

http://marmot.com/spring_2009/equipment/sleeping_bags/synthetic/trestles_20_semi_rec_long/info/details