PDA

View Full Version : transportation glich

highfisher
02-11-2009, 00:43
Going to do a thur hike mid to late june have most of the plans worked out, but like most plans now there's a glich. Iwas going to leave my vehicle with a freind in durango and ride the dog to denver to start but now he's relocating. Is there some place at the trailhead to leave it safe,any suggestions ???? please!!! THANKS..

boarstone
02-11-2009, 07:21
This is only an idea....rent a storage unit near where you will want to leave your vehicle. I've read on some CT/CDT journals where some hikers do this. May cost up front, but I'd think the hassle of no worry would be worth it. Oh...and put a couple, maybe even 4, of those de-con packs around it on the floor, just in case those gray furry critters want to take up residence while it's in there, they love to chew wires.

highfisher
02-12-2009, 21:36
Thanks Boarstone, I think I've seen that too now that you mentioned it.Will check it out. Thanks agin..

sticks&stones
02-12-2009, 22:02
Not sure if they still do it, but there's a parking lot I saw a time or two when at Amicalola State Park out in front of the visitor center that excepts long term parking. It looked like some of the cars had been there a long long time, flat tires, and covered in duffy mank. Our remarks to a few of the cars was overheard by a ranger, who informed us that a couple cars had been there for over a year. None of the cars there appeared vandalised.

Surlylht
02-13-2009, 09:21
Although you could park your car at Amicalola State Park and then fly to Denver from Atlanta:-) It would probably be more practicle to park it in a storage unit in Durango, CO. I met two brothers on the CT last year who had rented a storage unit and then rented a car and drove back to Denver. Good luck.

Nean
02-13-2009, 15:49
Or you could leave your car at my house 35m east of Durango:)

highfisher
02-17-2009, 00:05
Thanks for the info! Sorry it took so long to reply, trying to catch those loose bucks$ to pay for this trip. June will be here before we know and I can't wait. Any other suggestions are welcome Thanks..

fta
02-17-2009, 04:21
i live like 20 mile from the denver trail head if you need a place to stay and a ride to the trail? we could make it happen if you need.

highfisher
02-18-2009, 23:29
Thanks for the offer "fta" but met a nice lady at the chuby hole storage in Durango. She was very helpful with info about town,Troll, trail head,ect..She was worried I'd be all alone, but I asured her that you guys wouldn't be to far ahead or behind me.So thanks for the offers of help and hope we meet up on the trail!!!!!!!