PDA

View Full Version : Down to 2 tents and 3 packs, help please.

GuyB
02-11-2009, 03:32
well then, almost everything is done, but I'm still contemplating about my tent and my backpack, and I'm down do 2 tents and 3 backpacks whithing my range of prices, so help please.

Tents:
1) "Sieera Designs Lightning for 2" ( 130-150$ as seen on a diffrent thread around here, 4lb 5oz).
2) "Eureka Spitfire for 2" (120-150$, 4lb 3oz)

Pack:
1) Granite Gear Nimbus Ozone (volume: 3800 cu in, 62 Liter. weight: 3lb, 1360 gr. 140-170$)
2) Gregory z55 (150-170$, Volume:3660 cu in, 60 Liter. weight: 3lb 8 oz, 1.6 kg )
3) ULA Circuit (180$, volume: 3800 cu in, 62 Liter)

thx!

mister krabs
02-11-2009, 06:29
lightning, it's free standing.

Mongoose2
02-11-2009, 06:37
The SD is the better tent, sorry no experiance with the packs

q-tip
02-11-2009, 06:59
Tents: save 2 lbs and get a henry shires tarptent,

pack;the granite gear vapor trail is 3,500 ci but saves .5 lbs.

I have had excellent results from both of these products on week long trips and weekend trips. I am starting on March 4th nobo.

Egads
02-11-2009, 07:06
from your choices - Lightning tent & ULA pack

Consider the Six Moon Designs Lunar Duo tent

mtnkngxt
02-11-2009, 07:19
Consider the Six Moon Designs Wild Oasis. and a ULA Circuit you save money and substantial weight. A tent that heavy will certainly work fine, but 5 pounds off your back will make the trip much easier.

GuyB
02-11-2009, 08:13
the thing with the ULA pack is that I can find a store that sells it, which means I can't mesure it and see how is it on me before I buy, a big no no as we all know.
you guys know any store that sells the circuit in New Orleans?

Mr HaHa
02-11-2009, 11:20
the thing with the ULA pack is that I can find a store that sells it, which means I can't mesure it and see how is it on me before I buy, a big no no as we all know.
you guys know any store that sells the circuit in New Orleans?
Find your torso size and waist size and contact ULA. If for some reason it does not fit ,exchange it. Brian is very helpful and accommodating. Its in his best interest that the pack you buy fits and is what you want. I and many others really like ULA packs.

Tinker
02-11-2009, 11:25
Consider the Six Moon Designs Wild Oasis. and a ULA Circuit you save money and substantial weight. A tent that heavy will certainly work fine, but 5 pounds off your back will make the trip much easier.

If so, the Wild Oasis won't cut it. Nice shelter for one, though, as long as you don't mind not having a floor.

Lightning tent (of the two choices).

Ula or Granite Gear pack - fit is more important than brand. If possible try both. If not, buy both with a credit card, pick the one you want and send the other one back.

Note: Unless you are carrying more than 25 lbs, you don't need a pack with a frame. I've even carried up to 35 lbs. with a frameless pack. Use a closed cell foam pad for a frame and stuff the gear inside the pad for maximum stiffness. I like the way a pack carries when loaded this way (full or not) better than an internal frame pack with a bunch of lumpy stuffsacks inside it (and a lot of wasted space between those lumpy sacks).
I've been using a Golite Dawn (took me through the Hundred Mile Wilderness without resupply - not counting the night spent at the White House Landing and their good food),
and have recently bought a Granite Gear Virga for a little more cold weather capacity. I like them both, but the GG is a little tougher.
You might not want to experiment with frameless packs at this time, but, if you decide you don't need a frame halfway through your trip, you could save a few ozs. by removing your pack's stays and sending them home.

burger
02-11-2009, 12:23
I don't think you'll find the Circuit in any stores, but Brian (at ULA) is a really nice guy and is great about exchanges. The Circuit that I originally ordered was too big, so I just sent it back and he sent me the smaller size. I paid to ship it back to him, but he paid for the shipping back to me, so no big loss.

And I'll second the Tarptent recommendation. You absolutely do not need a free-standing tent on the AT, even on tent platforms. Save yourself 2 pounds and get a non-free-standing tent.

skinewmexico
02-11-2009, 12:49
I'd go with the ULA and the Sierra Designs, and I bet Brian @ ULA would send you two packs to try, and you could keep the one that fit. The advantage of a cottage industry.

That being said, my heavy pack is an Osprey Exos 58, which will rotate in with a lighter Golite Jam2 and GG Mariposa. Tents I'm down to are a SMD Lunar Solo, TT Double Rainbow, or REI Quarterdome T3. Rarely use the T3.

Summit
02-11-2009, 19:15
SD for sure and I'm partial to and have a lot of experience with Gregory packs (not that one) and they are great. No experience with the other packs.

Lilred
02-11-2009, 20:03
SD Lightyear, but I'm going to throw a pitch for Henry Shires tarptents as well. Love mine.
I have the ULA P-2 which is similar.. You'll never want another pack. Call Brian and tell him your fears, he's fantastic to work with.

GuyB
02-12-2009, 05:19
guys!
I'm from Israel! I'll be in the U.S only in three days!
who the hell is Brian?!! (and how do I contact him etc...)

Roland
02-12-2009, 05:33
guys!
I'm from Israel! I'll be in the U.S only in three days!
who the hell is Brian?!! (and how do I contact him etc...)

Brian Frankle runs ULA Equipment. Here's his website (http://www.ula-equipment.com/index.htm). Click the ULA-Info tab for contact information.