bobbyw
02-11-2009, 04:41
granite gear vapor trail

1 Long Sleeve Champion C9 Shirt (underarmor style
1 Short Sleeve C9 Shirt
1 Pair of thin surfing/boardshorts
2 Pairs of wool hiking socks
1 Pair of camp socks

haven't figured out pants yet, I have no idea. I live in Florida and I can't find an outfitter around here. I guess two pairs of convertable pants? I honestly don't know how or what to pick out. Please help. I'm crying out for help here.

Columbia rain jacket
Buying a pair of trail runners
I own crocs for campshoes, would rather get some vibram five fingers, probably won't.
I have three light cashmere sweaters I was thinking about taking one, I'll probably just get a fleece or lambswool though.

TP (roll removed, pull from the middle)
10 Charmin whips
Toothbrush
Toothpaste
Campsuds
some Asprin, Immodium AD, Percocet, Somas
water purification tablets (for those questionable sources)
probably some emergen-cs and gatorade mix packets thrown in

Hennessey backpacker ultralight
jacks'r'better nest
35 degree synthetic ultralight sleeping back for topquilt
6 gutter nails for stakes (I should break down and get Ti stakes?)
right now I have a hennessey hex fly tarp (70d sylnylon) which is entirely too heavy, looking to get a MacCat (8oz)

3L? Camelpack Bladder stolen from a camelback hydration pack
Walmart Headlamp
Alchohol soda stove, using stakes pushes into the ground for a pot stand
12oz bottle for alchohol, probably upgrade to 20 on the trail
ti spork
sponge
pot grabber (cheap pot, not built in)
one mini bic lighter, one regular bic lighter
Light First Aid Kit, some tape, bandages, small packets of chaffing powder
onion sack turned kitchen stuff sack

AT Companion (I'll probably be bounceboxing most of it, SERIOUSLY considering scanning the entire book front to back and just using my iphone as a digital copy.)
2-3 walmart stuff sacks
TINY pocket knife
Camera (might stay home, I have an older canon, might use iPhone for those MUST HAVE pics)
iphone with mini charger, cord, plastic bag, solio charger
small pen, a few peices of paper

bobbyw
02-11-2009, 04:43
please be critical!

also, take note that I've generally been pretty good about cutting down the weight on items (debranding, cutting toothbrush in half, removing packaging from food)

if you know what pants I should be taking, please tell me. I don't know the difference.

bobbyw
02-11-2009, 04:51
http://www.outdoorpros.com/Prod/Vargo-Outdoors-T-113-Vargo-Titanium-Nail-Stake-6-Pk/33129/Cat/136?utm_medium=referral&utm_source=googlebase&cvsfa=1184&cvsfe=2&cvsfp=33129
anyone know a better deal for stakes than that?

Deerleg
02-11-2009, 09:55
http://books.shop.ebay.com/?_from=R40&_npmv=3&_trksid=m38.l1313&_nkw=Beyond+Backpacking&_sacat=267

This is an old book Beyond Backpacking, but it has a few words of wisdom that might help with gear and weight. His promotion of "carving pounds" vs. shaving oz. helped a lot of folks in the early 90's go from 40+ lbs to less than half.

As far as pants, I walk mostly in running shorts in fair weather, have a pair of Golite gore rain pants, and a pair of Mountain Hard Wear nylon hiking pants. No big zippers or snaps, no zip off legs as all the extra zippers and snaps can make them uncomfortable laying down, or chafing as you hike with your pack on.

beerandpizza
02-11-2009, 11:22
for pants, we are partial to the REI Sahara's. we are taking 2 a piece (one to hike in and the other for camp) Why 2 lighters?

Tinker
02-11-2009, 11:49
I've never had a problem with zip off legs. That's what I'd advise buying. Any brand, just make sure they are nylon, not a blend. Tougher pants will be heavier. You shouldn't need them. Light running shorts are good to have around for wearing at laundromats or if the seat in your lightweight zip off pants lets go. :p

For the trail runners you're looking to buy, buy for COMFORT FIRST. Your feet may (probably will) swell during your hike, so you can buy them a little long. Watch the width, though, as I've had the unfortunate experience of having an otherwise good pair of Keen shoes twist around my feet as they wore and stretched.
If one pair feels nearly perfect, but tight in one or two spots, try the next half size up. Shoe manufacturers don't have any particular foot in mind when they label their shoes for size.
ALSO - try different insoles with the shoes you're looking at. If you have insoles from a pair of shoes at home that are comfortable, bring them with you when you shop. The current pair of Asics trail runners that I have felt ok until I tried them with my Keen insoles. Then they were PERFECT.
Little changes can make a big difference.

flemdawg1
02-11-2009, 11:52
http://www.outdoorpros.com/Prod/Vargo-Outdoors-T-113-Vargo-Titanium-Nail-Stake-6-Pk/33129/Cat/136?utm_medium=referral&utm_source=googlebase&cvsfa=1184&cvsfe=2&cvsfp=33129
anyone know a better deal for stakes than that?

http://www.moontrail.com/simon-metals-ti-stake-6.php

$1.75/each 6 grams (compared to >$3 and 14 grams each). For 6 it would $10.50 + about $3 shipping.

Tinker
02-11-2009, 11:57
Ti stakes?
Don't bother. They're too thin to hold well in duff, loose loamy soil, sand, or muddy soil - in other words, what you're most likely to find on the AT. They work fine in heavily compacted soil which you might find at a few well-used campsites.
I carry a couple for extras if I need them, but have switched back to carrying MSR Ground Hog stakes for the corners of my tarps (used with hammock, mainly), and cheapo shepherd-hook style aluminum stakes for other staking points.
Contrary to popular belief, you can bend ti stakes, and they're a bugger to straighten out. The thin metal they're made of, as I mentioned above, doesn't have much surface area. I lost one in the woods one day when I pushed it in, went to step on it to set it, and the guyline tension launched it about 30ft. into thick brush.

flemdawg1
02-11-2009, 12:02
Cooking Pot? I see the grabber, but no pot.

mountain squid
02-11-2009, 12:29
You didn't specify when starting. On the list you are down for 1 Apr. Some observations:

check out these pants (http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_10151_-1_10001_52017_625004000_625000000_625004000_625-4-0) - unless you plan to wear both at same time, 1 pr is enough, they dry quickly
35F bag may be cutting it too close (there will be colder nights)
fleece jacket instead of sweater
gloves
hat
bandana/buff
Aqua Mira instead of tablets
something extra to hold water
needle for draining blisters
hand sanitizer
sunscreen (no leaves on trees)
maps
is TINY knife big enough to slice bagels and spread peanut butter?
50ft bear line
hiking poles
duct tape
ear plugs
don't take too much Campsuds - it is very sudsy

And, of course, don't forget ID/atm/credit cards.

See you on the trail,
mt squid

Blissful
02-11-2009, 14:14
One pair of convertible pants is all you need. Don't need shorts then. I'd bring an extra pair of socks for hiking, but I am a sock fanatic.

Percocet for what? If you hurt that bad, get off the trail. DOnt use a narcotic to mask it, or take it for that matter.

When are you leaving- ? I'm thinking you're gonna be mighty cold in your set up, but I defer to hammockers for that. At least need some kind of outer jacket.
Hat? Gloves?

Pootz
02-11-2009, 14:33
I would think about making a pot stand for your alcohol stove. You will get tired of cooking on the ground especially if you stay in shelter areas where there are picnic tables.

bobbyw
02-12-2009, 17:35
Alright, let's start from the top.

Pants:

$175+shipping - 7.2oz - golite gore rain pants
http://www.golite.com/product/proddetail.aspx?p=AM1711&s=1
can't beat goretex, but that price sounds like a lot of food on the trail. (cheapest goretex rainpants on their site that I could find)

$60+shipping - no weight listed - Mountain Hardware Convertable pants
http://www.backcountryoutlet.com/outlet/MHW0814/Mountain-Hardwear-Talus-Pack-Pant-Mens.html?CMP_ID=SH_FRO002&CMP_SKU=MHW0814&mv_pc=r126
appears to be a good option, but review say the included belt is totally useless and needs to be removed for a regular belt

$60+shipping - no weight listed - REI Sahara pants
http://www.rei.com/product/746908
appears to be a good option

$39.95+shipping (actually I could probably get these in Florida locally) - no weight listed - World Wide Sportsman® Pro IV Zip-Off Pants
http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_10151_-1_10001_52017_625004000_625000000_625004000_625-4-0
considering they arn't designed for hiking (and the price tag) they're probably pretty heavy. also, they have a lot of bad reviews, but if they work they work. you know the weight squid? also, do you take one pair of pants? that sounds like it would get dirty, fast. I'm going to seriously consider this option despite my reservations due to your reputation for good advice.

As far as the book beyond backpacking, I have a march 1st starting date (almost two weeks at this point) and I don't have time to buy a book and make major adjustments. Maybe I'll take a look at it when I get back.

I'm taking two lighters because one is almost empty. I don't know why I included that I"m taking two, because I'll only have one soon.

I do have a cooking pot, although I forgot to mention that part. And a tiny little peice of camp towel to dry it.

As far as my 35degree bag, I'm going to be sleeping with a lot of clothes on, and it's only my top quilt, the down underquilt REALLY helps keep you warm.

I will take a fleece instead of a sweater, good call.

gloves & hat - maybe? I'll probably pick em up on the way if needed
bandana/buff - none, I have a camp towel?
Aqua Mira instead of tablets - not going to be using tablets but for questionable sources, so I'll consider those when these run out.
something extra to hold water - 1liter soda/water bottle can be aquired with ease
needle for draining blisters - pocket knife has a blade with a sharp point
hand sanitizer - no
sunscreen (no leaves on trees) - no
maps - I'll pick them up along the way.
is TINY knife big enough to slice bagels and spread peanut butter? - it'll work
50ft bear line - I'll be neededing some crab line
hiking poles - no
duct tape - a small amount wrapped around some gear
ear plugs - good idea
don't take too much Campsuds - it is very sudsy - I'm not!

I will make a pot stand. I just keep spending money on chicken wire and the such, and finding out it's the wrong thing. how can I might a SUPER light pot stand with EASILY AVAILABLE material.

Deerleg
02-14-2009, 10:15
gloves & hat - maybe?
You will be glad you have them at some point for sure. Nit caps are great at night too.

Don H
02-15-2009, 09:32
No hiking poles? I've been told that many start a thru without hiking poles but almost everyone who finishes has them. I've been using them for years and wouldn't hike without them. YMMV

Lone Wolf
02-15-2009, 09:33
No hiking poles? I've been told that many start a thru without hiking poles but almost everyone who finishes has them. I've been using them for years and wouldn't hike without them. YMMV

there are exceptions. real men like me for instance

rickb
02-15-2009, 09:38
And the purported father of light weight hiking, Ray Jardine, agrees. No poles for him either.

But if real men don't carry them, is a person who walks with just one pole half a man?

rickb
02-15-2009, 09:44
I'm going to be sleeping with a lot of clothes on

What makes you think your clothes will be dry enough to sleep in? Just a thought.

Lone Wolf
02-15-2009, 09:45
And the purported father of light weight hiking, Ray Jardine, agrees. No poles for him either.

keith kimbal (wolf) has him beat hands down

Mercy
02-15-2009, 12:32
"haven't figured out pants yet, I have no idea. I live in Florida and I can't find an outfitter around here. I guess two pairs of convertable pants? I honestly don't know how or what to pick out. Please help. I'm crying out for help here."

There is a huge outfitter in Altamonte Springs (Orlando area) pretty close to you if you have transportation.

http://www.travelcountry.com/shop/Action/Info_Show/Id/28

They have several folks working there who have thru-hiked. Ask if any of the thru hikers are working when you walk in the door...

They have enough inventory to try on lots of convertible pants. I like my only pair of pants to be comfortable!

Warning: its an easy store to spend money in!:D

theinfamousj
02-15-2009, 14:09
hand sanitizer - no

If you are bringing an alcohol stove, which it looks like you are, you can just squirt a smaller-than-a-dime sized amount of fuel on your hands and rub it all around. Ethanol, isopropanol, or methanol at ~ 60% are the active ingredients in different gelled hand sanitizers.

At some point, you will appreciate having a disinfectant on hand, though.

is TINY knife big enough to slice bagels and spread peanut butter? - it'll work

You can always break the unsliced bagels into bits and dip them into the peanut butter jar, much as you would apple slices. This also works for dipping bagels into cream cheese at the office, if anyone out there ever encounters a breakfast where someone forgets to bring knives. :)

I will make a pot stand. I just keep spending money on chicken wire and the such, and finding out it's the wrong thing. how can I might a SUPER light pot stand with EASILY AVAILABLE material.

Hardware cloth. Looks like chicken wire but with absolutely tiny little squares instead of large hexes. I've found that depending on which hardware store I walk in to, some of the folks working have never heard of Hardware Cloth, but that is its absolutely correct name. And it isn't a fabric. (The last person I asked who didn't know what it was directed me to the landscaping fabrics.)

BrianLe
02-15-2009, 14:31
"If you are bringing an alcohol stove, which it looks like you are, you can just squirt a smaller-than-a-dime sized amount of fuel on your hands and rub it all around. Ethanol, isopropanol, or methanol at ~ 60% are the active ingredients in different gelled hand sanitizers.
At some point, you will appreciate having a disinfectant on hand, though."

I agree with the last statement above, but suggest personal investigation and thought before going the route of using a toxic agent such as methanol directly on your skin intentionally, day after day. Even if you can get pure (not denatured) alcohol (Everclear or whatever brand), I suggest you investigate before deciding to use this as a direct disinfectant (either for wounds or for daily cleanup). My recommendation would be to dilute even pure alcohol with water before using in this fashion. A commercial disinfectant (e.g., Purell) is a lot easier to use, not very light, and IMO a good thing to keep together with your toilet paper (or please, never share food on the trail with me ...).

Note that I'm not saying that using denatured alcohol of some type will be instantly fatal; I just suggest that you look into the health impacts of something like this yourself before doing it. Until the above, I had not ever heard of anyone recommending this, FWIW.

BrianLe
02-15-2009, 14:33
Rats, I mean that commercial disinfectants such as Purell are not very *heavy* ...

theinfamousj
02-15-2009, 14:56
Until the above, I had not ever heard of anyone recommending this, FWIW.

True that, Brian! Check out your inactive ingredients in denatured alcohol for sure.

However, if you are burning rubbing alcohol (either the 90% isopropanol or the 70% ethanol -- called ethyl rubbing alcohol) it is safe to use on your hands.

The high school I teach at often does a Purel vs 70% ethyl rubbing alcohol lab where they find that the liquid rubbing alcohol is more effective than Purel, due to its higher concentration of alcohol.

On the other hand, it is murder on your skin ... drying it out and all.

RockDoc
02-15-2009, 15:49
Your outfit looks cold to me. And potentially stinky (nylon shirts).
Have you discovered merino wool thermal layers? Warm, even when wet, and no stink. I take tops and bottoms to sleep in, and a top to hike in. I like Icebreaker (pricey!).
And think about warm hat (fleece balaclava is a good choice) & gloves.
For pants, get synthetic fabric hiking pants that will dry rapidly. Zip-off legs are optional; they can get lost and then what do you do?
What food are you planning to carry?