PDA

View Full Version : Osprey Exos 58

naturejunkie
02-11-2009, 11:56
Good, Bad, Ugly... I was checking one of these packs out yesterday at REI. While not technically "ultralight" at 2lbs 3oz, it seems to be another solid Osprey pack, which comes in on the light side, and with a full internal frame and 3500 cubic inch capacity. I thought the hybrid orangeish/pinkish color was hideous, but I like where Osprey is going. Has anyone used one of these packs yet?

skinewmexico
02-11-2009, 12:02
In the garage, haven't used it yet. Reviewers on BPL liked it a lot during the beta test. I sent Osprey an email complaining about the color. It would be ugly even if it didn't remind me of that university in Austin.

turbodrabbit
02-13-2009, 13:27
I just ordered this pack, and I dont mind the color :)

rp1790
02-13-2009, 13:44
Actually I quite like the color. It's real light and the two side pockets (on the '58) are nice. I'm taking mine on the 'thru starting 3/22.

Jah
02-13-2009, 13:50
The color isn't nearly as bad in person as it looks in pictures. It looks more like red than anything else to me. I'll be taking it on my thru starting to beginning of April. My weight is around 25 lbs and it feels very comfortable.

skinewmexico
02-13-2009, 15:46
Anyone besides me think the 46 would have worked just fine?

bigcranky
02-13-2009, 16:26
Anyone besides me think the 46 would have worked just fine?

Depends on your gear. I think a ~60 liter pack is a pretty good general purpose size. Handles winter gear, full loads of food, etc.

I'm looking at the Exos 34 as a good day pack for carrying camera gear, winter dayhike loads, etc. Nice little pack.

rp1790
02-14-2009, 17:39
And something I feared happening did happen today. Had my pack in the bedroom and stood on one of the buckles (on the strap that attache's to the lid) and it completely shattered.

I was worried about the buckles being brittle and looks like I was right to be worried. This was me wearing a boot and standing on it on carpet, so not on a hard surface at all.

Guess I'm going to find out what Osprey customer service is like on Monday. The buckle is easy to replace by the look of it though. Think I'll ask for a couple of extras.

P.S. I still really like this pack but, oh boy, I don't want to drop my pack on a shelter floor and have to worry about buckles breaking...

rp1790
02-22-2009, 19:46
Ok, I received my replacement buckles yesterday (Saturday) and they are the wrong sort. Also means it took 6 days to get the buckles from CO -> KS, not impressed at all. If they had sent them on Monday (I called very early in the morning) they would have been here Wed or Thur at the latest. I can only conclude they didn't post them out until Thursday, 3 full days after I rang and asked for replacement.

bigcranky
02-22-2009, 21:51
rp,

Where did you buy the pack? REI will swap it out, no problem.

I had a chance to play with the Exos 58 at my local outfitter last week. Nice pack, well-thought-out, and very light for a commercial pack with a frame. That suspension system looks pretty comfortable up to 25 or 30 pounds, but that's just a guess. I think a basic lightweight kit would carry well in this pack. (Base weight 15 pounds or so.)

Ramble~On
02-25-2009, 21:07
:-? I went to REI yesterday to pick up a pair of BD trekking poles.
I started looking around and playing around with packs. I don't need another pack but was going to get a ULA Catalyst and most likely will anyway (yes, I'm a junkie)
I played with the 2009 Atmos on another trip and decided that it was "too much" pack and since the Osprey designers have decided to introduce some nasty colors upon the outdoors I'm staying away.
I took a longer look at the Exos 58. I like REI a lot for getting hands on with stuff. I loaded the Exos with all sorts of crap including 28 pounds of weight bags..at about 35lbs this pack was the most comfortable pack I've ever worn. Kudos to the folks working at the Asheville,NC REI especially the guy back in the bike room who let me use his kickass digital scale about 10 times. - At one point I loaded the pack to beyond what I'd ever want to carry even when hauling some beer..it weighed 58.? pounds!
The pack laughed at it and took that load in stride and was still comfortable. A very comfortable load weighed out to be 38 pounds - I am amazed at how comfortable this pack is with that much loaded into it.
I was impressed enough to buy one and plan to live happily ever after.
Big thanks to the REI staff for letting me cram new gear into the pack - weight bags are fine but not exactly realistic.

What I like:
Weight - it's a light pack for 61 liters
Frame - solid and ingenious design.
Design - they stripped this thing down and used lighter materials and smaller webbing etc.
Comfort - Amazing.

What I don't Like:
Color - It's growing on me though. 90% is a silverish gray and the rest is a reddish orange. The pack does look better in person than in the images.

http://www.outdoorsmagic.com/news/article.asp?UAN=5438&v=1

dmax
02-25-2009, 22:14
Thanks for the report. I've been considering this pack. The color is o.k. with me. I think the color will work great during hunting season.

mtnkngxt
03-01-2009, 18:25
Will be testing an Exos 46 heading North from Damascus in May.

coldspring
03-01-2009, 21:38
I'm glad I'm not the only one that doesn't like the colors. Just like cars, put out the ugly ones first for a new model, then get the rest of the buyers with the hot colored supercharged model later. How many seasons till they come out with better colors?

George
03-01-2009, 22:03
skinewmexico with the way that color offends you and the refusal to say the name of that "other" school would you be wearing an aggie ring?

skinewmexico
03-01-2009, 23:10
skinewmexico with the way that color offends you and the refusal to say the name of that "other" school would you be wearing an aggie ring?

Maroon would be the other offensive color. Go Tech.

freakflyer9999
03-02-2009, 16:32
I was impressed enough to buy one and plan to live happily ever after.

Are you planning a hike with it anytime in the next few months? I'd appreciate a review once you do. This pack is at the top of my list to reduce my overall load weight, but a few positive reviews would help me to make up my mind.

Alyssa1
03-05-2009, 21:09
i just got the osprey aura 65 and im not too happy with it!!!

skinewmexico
03-05-2009, 23:47
I just had to get an Exos 46 too.

skinewmexico
03-05-2009, 23:48
i just got the osprey aura 65 and im not too happy with it!!!

I remember that thread. What happened? Wrong size?

HikingIllini
03-16-2009, 12:57
I tried on the Exos 46 (L) at my local outfitter over the weekend. It seems to have the same capacity as my GG Vapor Trail, even though the specs say it is smaller. I loaded about 25lbs of weight in it (my typical 3 day load) and walked around the store. Here are my impressions:

The buckles are very small and feel brittle and easily breakable.
The frame carries the load very well. I haven't used the Osprey trampoline suspension system before, and had to pull the load lifters tight to feel balanced. I like that the trampoline/mesh back won't be soaked with sweat.
The hipbelt has very little padding. However, the frame hits right on your hips (if properly fitted). I didn't wear the pack for more than 5 minutes so I'm not sure how this would feel over time. The large mesh pockets in the hipbelt are nice.
The shoulder straps also have little padding, but more than the hipbelt. It was suprisingly comfortable (given my visual impression), but I didn't have it on for more than 5 minutes.
It seemed to have excessive straps, buckles, and tool attachments.
Overall I liked the pack and would consider it as a potential replacement should my Vapor Trail be lost or damaged beyond repair. I thought that the 46 was plenty big and can't imagine how big the 58 would be.

Many Walks
04-26-2009, 20:55
Went to the local outfitter today to look at Western Mountaineering sleeping bags for our Tahoe Rim Trail hike in June. While there we picked up the Osprey Exos 58 and couldn't believe a pack that nice could weigh so little. It has a comfortable harness, ventilated suspension, holds around 35 lbs, has nice pocket and compartment arrangement, waterproof fabric and only weighs 2 lb 3 oz - medium / 2 lb 8 oz - large. It has a lot of equipment loops and the outfitter threw in a bunch of bungee cord and catches to contain jackets, wet rain flies, etc. These are nice well made packs and a step in the right direction for Osprey. We have too many packs now, but had to buy them as they were too good to pass up. Might take them on the PCT for a while next weekend to try them out. Happy trails!

FamilyGuy
04-27-2009, 00:21
Went to the local outfitter today to look at Western Mountaineering sleeping bags for our Tahoe Rim Trail hike in June. While there we picked up the Osprey Exos 58 and couldn't believe a pack that nice could weigh so little. It has a comfortable harness, ventilated suspension, holds around 35 lbs, has nice pocket and compartment arrangement, waterproof fabric and only weighs 2 lb 3 oz - medium / 2 lb 8 oz - large. It has a lot of equipment loops and the outfitter threw in a bunch of bungee cord and catches to contain jackets, wet rain flies, etc. These are nice well made packs and a step in the right direction for Osprey. We have too many packs now, but had to buy them as they were too good to pass up. Might take them on the PCT for a while next weekend to try them out. Happy trails!

The quoted weights were for prototypes. The Medium is 2 lbs, 8 oz, and the Large 2 lbs, 12 oz.