PDA

View Full Version : What do I need to look for in a trail runner?

webejpn01
02-11-2009, 14:47
Ok, i am convinced I need to switch out of my North Face boots for some lighter trailer runners.

I am kind of partial to the North Face brand because i have had good luck with them.

However, what should I be looking for in a good trail runner?
How do you differentiate between trail runners and standard running shoe?

Thanks in advance.

bigmac_in
02-11-2009, 14:50
Buy something that feels good on your feet. Go try several brands on. New Balance and Asics make good Trail Runners. The pair I liked best were Nike, even though many people told me Nike trail runners sucked. I've since worn them out, and haven't found another pair of Nike to fit as well. I'm in New Balance now.

Lesson learned - just get what fits your foot best.

buz
02-11-2009, 15:52
Bigmac is right on. I can't fathom how anyone could buy shoes they haven't worn previously over the internet. I can understand buying a replacement pair, but not unknown ones. Go to quality shoe place and try on various brands, late in the day, after work, your feet will be bigger, with whatever sock(s) you plan on using. Go to couple of stores for bigger brand choices if possible. Some will feel crap, and others will be what u need. Don't buy on the first try, come back if you are not in a hurry, try them another time. Shoe fit is crucial to foot happiness.

bigcranky
02-11-2009, 15:56
Fit is important, as is comfort walking around with a pack.

That said, the unfortunate reality of footwear is that you'll only truly find out if the shoe is right after a couple of long days on the trail. I had a New Balance shoe that felt so great on my feet, fit perfectly, they were well-broken-in, and they ripped my feet to shreds on my first longer hike with them (over 50 miles). I went back to Salomon and they've been fine, so far. (The difference is terrain -- hiking very steep trail is very different than walking around the block or on local trails. How the shoe fits your feet under real A.T. conditions can be totally different, too.)

The good news is this: unlike with a $300 pair of boots, you haven't lost as much when you find out your trail runners aren't quite right and you want to try something else.

There is no harm in shopping for shoes on sale, finding one that fits well, and wearing it for a while. If it works on the trail, great! If not, try something else.

gohawks
02-11-2009, 16:03
Fit. Then something that is supportive. Even w/25 lbs I needed more support than your run of the mill trail runner from kohl's or JCpenney could provide.

I put the montail hardrock on a new I'd found the shoe for me. The sole wasn't too flimsy, felt SOLID.

Alligator
02-11-2009, 16:04
I've become partial to the speed lacing on Salomons, but some folks suggest using a cordlock for this purpose. Mesh provides quicker drying but there's a durability tradeoff. My feet get much dirtier as well with mesh but that doesn't bother me.

Pootz
02-11-2009, 16:14
Depending on the trail runner you choose you may want to add a pair of superfeet insoles. The will help out on the rocks. I use Brooks cascadia trail runners and love them, but I agree that you have to find a shoe that works for you. I would suggest wearing them every day for a couple weeks. What seems comfotable at first may not be after you wear them for awhile. And get yourself some good light weight wool socks.

flemdawg1
02-11-2009, 16:23
If you normally use a Stability running shoe for running, do you need a stablity trail shoe? Also do you use running socks or hiking socks?

ChinMusic
02-11-2009, 16:28
Ok, i am convinced I need to switch out of my North Face boots for some lighter trailer runners.

I am kind of partial to the North Face brand because i have had good luck with them.

However, what should I be looking for in a good trail runner?
How do you differentiate between trail runners and standard running shoe?

Thanks in advance.
Like many others, I went from boots, to low-tops, to trail runners. I tried Hardrocks but they never felt comfortable. Many folks love those things.

I finally went with a trail runner from New Balance. I had had good luck with the 600 series for daily use in 11EE so I decided to give their 800 series a try.

Worked perfectly right out of the box. I was a great fan of Superfeet but didn't need them for these shoes. Don't know why.

Bottom line: You might have to try several brands and maybe even several size/width combinations until you find the sweet spot.......for YOU.

I suspect that while I am golden in 11EE 800s by New Balance that I might have to go to a 11EEEE/11.5EE or even and 11.5EEEE at some point during a thru. Your feet will swell.

Summit
02-11-2009, 17:46
If you normally use a Stability running shoe for running, do you need a stablity trail shoe? Also do you use running socks or hiking socks?Best to go with the standard thin under-sock and wool outer sock commonly acclaimed by avid hikers. You should wear or take the combination you use to try the trail runners on. The sock thickness will add at least a 1/2 size to your normal shoe size. If you want to add a 'superfeet-like' insole that's thicker than the manufacturer's insole, that will increase the shoe size you need as well.

Fit a trail runner as you would a boot - with laces loose jam your toe (with your two socks on) into the front of the shoe. You should have a finger of space between your heel and the shoe. Then slam your foot into the heel with a good firm tap of the heel coming down. Lace up your shoes a little loose near the toe box and snug in the ankle area. Walk around and make sure your heel is not slipping. Some stores have an incline ramp so you can simulate steep uphill / downhill walking and see if your foot stays in place. The last thing you want on downhills is for your foot to slide forward, jamming your toe(s) into the toe box. That's a recipe for a painful black toenail, followed a couple months later by losing that nail.

Hope this helps!

gohawks
02-11-2009, 17:49
I wear some cheap thin mostly synthetic running socks by Champion (or whatever C9 is) from Target. That's just me.

Summit
02-11-2009, 17:51
There's no consensus on the best brand/model of trail runner. I've heard more compliments about Montrail Hardrocks, but already one poster here was not pleased with them, so you really have to find what works best for you. I walk a lot in the evenings around the 'hood, so if a shoe doesn't make the grade on the trail, I just get my money's worth and wear it out walking on the pavement at home. Gotta buy a new pair about every six months anyway! :)

flemdawg1
02-11-2009, 18:02
Well I have a Trail half-marathon next month, and I'm pretty easy to fit in stability runners. therefore would probably not use these w/ double socks. I use thin synth running socks mostly, but do use hiking socks w/ boots.

ChinMusic
02-11-2009, 18:13
I walk a lot in the evenings around the 'hood, so if a shoe doesn't make the grade on the trail, I just get my money's worth and wear it out walking on the pavement at home. Gotta buy a new pair about every six months anyway! :)
That's the way I handle it too. If the new shoe isn't "trail-worthy" it just becomes a local walking shoe. If it is worse than that it becomes a daily-use shoe (haven't had one that bad yet).

Montana AT05
02-11-2009, 20:00
Shoes are like women (or men). No one can agree which model is best--it's all personal preference. And of course, the old model/pair you had last year that are no longer around, were the best ever! ;)

That said, I am a big fan of Inov8 Flyroc 310's. After short wear-in period, they are like wearing slippers.

It took me many miles and blisters to switch from boots to trail runners. I went through a few pair of Merrell trail runners before landing on the Flyrocs. I enjoyed the Merrells too--they were just so much heavier than the Flyrocs. I also stopped using after-market shoe inserts.

garlic08
02-11-2009, 20:57
Congratulations on making that decision, I hope it works out for you as it has for so many.

The best features on my favorite shoe (NB811) are very light weight and excellent ventilation.

Trail runners have a more aggressive tread than road running shoes and I think that's about the only difference.

Blissful
02-11-2009, 23:50
Go to a good running shop to get fitted. You might find, for instance, you pronate and then you need a more solid foot bed in the shoe. That happened to me.

SUL-fury
02-12-2009, 10:47
solamon makes the real ones.

Gumbi
02-12-2009, 11:27
Avoid gortex or waterproof shoes, your feet will sweat in them! It is far better to have a shoe that will dry out quickly when it gets wet, than to have a shoe that stays damp all day long because it traps your sweat inside. (I made this mistake when buying my last pair of Keen brand trail runners)

Summit
02-12-2009, 12:17
Trying to drive home a point Gumbi, or do you have a stuck "Enter" key on your keyboard? :eek: :D Just kidding ya! :p

warraghiyagey
02-12-2009, 12:19
Avoid gortex or waterproof shoes, your feet will sweat in them! It is far better to have a shoe that will dry out quickly when it gets wet, than to have a shoe that stays damp all day long because it traps your sweat inside. (I made this mistake when buying my last pair of Keen brand trail runners)
That is about the best advice on footwear that there is. . . nice work!:)

Gumbi
02-12-2009, 12:27
:oSorry guys, I don't know what happened:o

Mods, if you don't mind, would you clean this up, please?

Alligator
02-12-2009, 12:33
:oSorry guys, I don't know what happened:o

Mods, if you don't mind, would you clean this up, please?Fixed.

ChinMusic
02-12-2009, 12:34

I have come to this conclusion as well. In bad conditions you really can't keep your feet dry anyway, so why even try? The faster the shoes dry out is the important thing to me. Wet boots stay wet for a LONG time.

Jayboflavin04
02-12-2009, 12:55
i am not totally convinced about a trail runner. That is why I am gonna work backwards. A mid then to a reg cut trail runner. Any positve / negatives on north face brand shoes (looking at the hedgehog mid) with gortex. I seriously HATE wet feet. How long after a dewy wet morning, or worse totally wet feet take to dry in a non-gortex shoes boots! Cummon ppl sell me on non-gortex....I wanna save a few bucks.

Gumbi
02-12-2009, 13:02
Fixed.

Many thanks!:o

Gumbi
02-12-2009, 13:35
i am not totally convinced about a trail runner. That is why I am gonna work backwards. A mid then to a reg cut trail runner. Any positve / negatives on north face brand shoes (looking at the hedgehog mid) with gortex. I seriously HATE wet feet. How long after a dewy wet morning, or worse totally wet feet take to dry in a non-gortex shoes boots! Cummon ppl sell me on non-gortex....I wanna save a few bucks.

If you have wool socks (or nylon, polyester) and highly breatheable shoes, your feet won't feel wet for very long at all after a dunking (the wool will pull the moisture away from your feet). The water will drain out, and the air will circulate through your shoe and the heat of your foot will help the water to evaporate.

Gortex, despite what the salesman told me:mad:, does not allow the moisture to evaporate very quickly. Especially in the summer time, my feet sweat quite a bit. There is nowhere for the sweat to go, so my feet become raw and blistered in short order. I like to sit down and pull my shoes off a couple times during the day to let my feet air out and dry off. If it wasn't for the gortex lining, my Keen shoes would definitely be my favorite because they fit my feet very well and provide excellent arch support.

BrianLe
02-12-2009, 14:02
I don't think I'm a particularly "argumentative type", but shoe selection brings out so many diverse opinions that I hope no one is offended if I see another point of view on some comments expressed so far ...

"I've become partial to the speed lacing on Salomons, but some folks suggest using a cordlock for this purpose."

I personally would not suggest that you factor in a feature like speed lacing when selecting a shoe --- because it's already tough enough to find the right shoe based on the most critical factors (long-term on-trail fit).

"Depending on the trail runner you choose you may want to add a pair of superfeet insoles."

Superfeet are a sort of off-the-shelf orthodic. If your feet are close enough to, what, the three (?) standard models they sell, I'm sure they're great. If your feet aren't quite so off-the-shelf, you might find yourself wondering why so many people like them. I wish there were a better way to find the right combination of shoe and insole other than "try and try again", but that's the approach the ultimately worked for me. Then, of course, you have to worry about the manufacturer changing the fit in future versions the the shoe you've finally figured out works well for you ... !

"Best to go with the standard thin under-sock and wool outer sock commonly acclaimed by avid hikers."

Best I'm sure with some people, at least in some conditions. I don't think there's a single approach that's "commonly acclaimed" by hikers, I think there are multiple approaches commonly acclaimed. I do agree it's best to have room in your shoe to add a wool sock, even if you normally hike in just some sort of liner sock (as I do) --- in cold weather you can get into situations where a liner isn't enough.

W.r.t. goretex not allowing sweat to evaporate --- I think this is true, but beyond that and Gumbi mentioning the possibility of dunking the shoe (stream crossing or just getting wet in puddles), there's also the situation where it's just rainy all day, every day for days in a row. At some point the best of goretex shoes will get wet in that situation; for me, it's that plus stream crossings that make goretex less appealing, because they really do take longer to dry out.

One consideration: buy goretex socks. Best of both worlds, lighter weight shoes that dry quickly, but some water resistance when you want it.
Rocky brand goretex socks have a good reputation. I suggest getting a size (or even possibly two sizes) too large, though YMMV on this, dunno. My feet are nominally size 10, and I have both size 11 and size 12 goretex socks. I bought the size 12's so I could put in a wool sock underneath for snow, but in fact I find the size 12's to be good for general use.
http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/Clothing/Socks/Rocky%20Gore-Tex%20Socks/

warraghiyagey
02-12-2009, 14:06
Easy enough. . . especiall if you like dry feet. . . you will spend alot more time hiking with wet feet if you go with the goretex. . . because once wet. . . they simply take a lonnnnnnnnnng time to dry out again. . . non-goretex will dry from the morning dew as you hike - in fairly short order - and will usually be dry in the morning if they got wet the day before.
As far as North Face. . . I still have a pair that I bought cuz they were the most reasonably priced, but I didn't expect anything great from them. I still have them and they held up and were MORE comfortable than an other shoe I've tried.

BrianLe
02-12-2009, 14:07
Perhaps I should add that goretex socks might be, for the most part at least, sort of like a nicotine patch --- a way to wean yourself off the notion of waterproof shoes. I have mine primarily for really cold wet slogs, but as it turned out this past year, even going through the Sierra's in June (lots and lots of snow, melting snow, a lot of trails effectively ice cold streams) I didn't use them much, and the majority of the time that I did I ended up half regretting the time to change into and back out of them.

I'm not saying that I'm sorry I got them --- they're excellent insurance in certain conditions, extending my light hiking shoe into less pleasant weather conditions. I'm just saying that (depending on when and where you do your hiking), they might serve more to make you mentally comfortable in making the switch to a non-waterproof (water resistant ...) shoe.

bigcranky
02-12-2009, 15:24
There is a place for goretex trail runners in winter hiking. With gaiters.

For three-season use, mesh trail runners are lighter, let your feet breathe better, and dry out faster.

Jayboflavin04
02-12-2009, 15:41
Think im gonna go for it!!!!!! I did go for a few walks in my asic running shoes during the recent cold snap(ohio). My feet were nice and toasty and I was wearing cotton socks. I have heard that the north face owns ascic. I know i love my asics! So, if this is true I should be happy with the north face shoes! Thanks for selling me folks!!