PDA

View Full Version : My Gear List, Please Review

Mrpokey
02-11-2009, 15:16
I've done some multinight camping trips and such but I'm still new. I'm going from Springer to about WV in mid March, and just want everyones opinion on my gear. It's not the fanciest or best, but it's what I could afford (Keep that in mind). I know I also have a lot of extra stuff too, not because I want to just don't have a lot of money for mail drops, so I'm trying to haul as much as I can to reduce mail drops.

Hubba Hubba Tent
Jansport Klamath Bag
Marmot Sawtooth Down Sleeping Bag (15 Degree, I think)

Msr Pocket Rocket Stove, (and a Coleman Max Micro, and a homemade alcohol stove Backup ready for mail drop if needed)
Steripen Water Purifier
Bandana
Silk Mummy Liner
(3) 1 Liter Gatorade Bottles
2 Bic Lighters
Leatherman
Generic 1 Liter Pot
8oz Biodegradeable Soap
Toilet Paper
Texsport Pack - Lite Foam Pad
Coleman Max Headlamp
Basic First Aid Kit + Advil, Tylenol Sinus, and Benadryl, Tweezers
Crocs
Spork
Guyot Designs Squishy Bowl and Cup
Light Bass Pro Rain Jacket (Got pants, if needed maildrop)
Duct Tape
Batteries
Bug Spray
1/2 Toothbrush and Toothpaste
Under Armor Cold Gear Top and Bottom
I won't mention the rest of my clothing, I just picked out what would work, and was affordable.

vonfrick
02-11-2009, 15:25
Marmot Sawtooth Down Sleeping Bag (15 Degree, I think)

personally i would really want to be sure about the temp rating

Msr Pocket Rocket Stove, (and a Coleman Max Micro, and a homemade alcohol stove Backup ready for mail drop if needed)

you won't need anything but the msr stove, it kicks azz

Bandana

take 2, they always seem to disappear and it's nice to rotate them so one can dry out

Silk Mummy Liner

don't need this if your bag is warm

Leatherman

for what?

8oz Biodegradeable Soap

i never bring soap and i ain't dead yet

Guyot Designs Squishy Bowl and Cup

eat out of your pot

:sun have fun

Mrpokey
02-11-2009, 15:43
The sleeping bag is indeed a 15 degree bag, as for the leatherman, I figured I might need it, for what? no idea, just seemed handy

fehchet
02-11-2009, 15:46
We all think weight. Have fun.

Mongoose2
02-11-2009, 16:54
By the Colemen Max Micro do you mean the lantern? I have never had use for one, you have your headlamp, I think that should be enough. I did take a candle lantern once, and never used it. No need for a stove back up

I also use a silk liner. Leatherman; you wont use it. I use a swisscard and a small lock blade. I frequently use the scissors, tooth pick, pen for the journal, pin to pop blisters, etc. It's a great little item

I also carry two bandana's 2ozs of camp soap (8 will last forever). I eat and cook out of my grease pot (no bowl), use a titanium coffee mug. Oh and I dont think you will need bug spray till much later. Try to go as light as you can.....heavy packs suck!

John B
02-11-2009, 16:58
I'd ditch the extra batteries. A headlamp lasts for a very long time and you can pick up batteries at resupply points. I'd add a couple of Pepto tablets -- it's never happened to me, but I can't think of much worse than having the runs and no meds to put a stop to things, so to speak. If it's Dr Bronner's, I'd carry mabye an ounce or two at most of soap, certainly not eight. I'd definitely add a 3 oz bottle of gelled alcohol and use it religiously. It's good to read that you're not carrying a cell or other electronic entertainment -- welcome to the tribe. I would, however, advise carrying the appropriate section of maps (switched out at various spots) and a button compass (or Timex Expedition watch, which has a decent compass, all for about $30). I always carry an extra lighter, too, but at the end of every hike I feel stupid for doing so because I've yet to have a failure. I like the Leatherman because it's nice to have tiny scissors and a blade for cutting whatever needs to be cut. I seriously doubt you'll need bug spray in March. I think you have a very good list.

Mongoose2
02-11-2009, 16:59
By the way, the Hubba Hubba, are you carrying this tent for two? If solo that's a heavy load (although a great tent)

Mongoose2
02-11-2009, 17:02
I certainly agree JohnB Maps and Compass are a must. Although not all hikers think so!

Mrpokey
02-11-2009, 17:02
By the Colemen Max Micro do you mean the lantern? I have never had use for one, you have your headlamp, I think that should be enough. I did take a candle lantern once, and never used it. No need for a stove back up

The Coleman Micro Max is a Stove 10,000 BTU and 6 oz

Mongoose2
02-11-2009, 17:09
The Coleman Micro Max is a Stove 10,000 BTU and 6 oz

Ok, thanks! I have the Coleman F1 and love it. I also don't see a need or multiple stoves. I do however carry two lighters

John B
02-11-2009, 17:13
I seriously don't think you'll need a backup stove, esp. to a Pocket Rocket -- it has a great reputation.

I'd definitely ditch the bowl (eat from the pot).

While I'm thinking about it, if you're hiking in March, I'd ditch the Steripen and just carry AquaMira. Water should be plentiful and fast running.

That's my .02

boarstone
02-11-2009, 17:22
Do you have one of those like Princeton photo lights that clip to your key chain and such? Very handy if you need to walk any distance from your tent after dark or before daylight, turn on, hang on tent,hammock, whatever so you can see your way back w/o having to carry a headlamp. :)

Panzer1
02-11-2009, 17:23
(3) 1 Liter Gatorade Bottles

keep one of the bottles, drop the other 2 and get a 4 liter dromlite bag with hydration hose:
http://www.msrgear.com/hydration/dromlite.asp

hyrdration hose:
http://www.msrgear.com/hydration/accessories.asp

Panzer

Mongoose2
02-11-2009, 17:28
5 liters of water? To carry? Or just for camp?

Panzer1
02-11-2009, 17:38
5 liters of water? To carry? Or just for camp?

The difference in weight between the 2 liter bag and the 4 liter bag is only a half ounce. So you might as well go with the 4 liter.

For camping:
If you are at one of those shelters where you have to walk half way down the mountain to get water, you will be glad you have the 4 liter bag.

Panzer

Mongoose2
02-11-2009, 17:40
WOW! $27.00 for the bag and $20.00 for the hose (not including shipping). That's crazy man!

Mongoose2
02-11-2009, 17:41
Sorry the price just shocked me a bit....I'm sure the quality is high, but you are correct about the long walk to get water for camp.....

Mongoose2
02-11-2009, 17:48
I use the Platapus water tank while in camp. $15.00 (and a two liter bladder while hiking)

Panzer1
02-11-2009, 17:51
WOW! $27.00 for the bag and $20.00 for the hose (not including shipping). That's crazy man!

that's really not a lot of money as far as gear is concerned.

Panzer

Mongoose2
02-11-2009, 17:53
I'm a bit of a cheapskate!!

Lilred
02-11-2009, 20:18
I agree to ditch one of the bottles, two is plenty. I've only ever needed more than two liters during dry times.
If you want back up cooking, grab a couple of esbit tabs and ditch the extra stoves.
I doubt you'll need a liner with a 15* bag. Remember, the more clothes you wear in a down bag, the colder you'll be.
You may not like the spork. I've heard people say it makes a lousy spoon and a lousy fork.
I'd add a couple of bandanas.
Good luck and Happy Hiking

Mrpokey
02-11-2009, 20:33
I doubt you'll need a liner with a 15* bag. Remember, the more clothes you wear in a down bag, the colder you'll be.
Good luck and Happy Hiking

The more clothes you wear the colder you will be? I've never heard that. Wow, glad someone told me. Thanks!

Mongoose2
02-11-2009, 20:35
Lilred I always wear thermals at night and perhaps a hat.....do you think this has the reverse effect....I always felt warmer

Panzer1
02-11-2009, 20:53
How about adding a rain cover for your pack and also a large trash bag to line the inside of your pack to keep sleeping bag and clothes dry.

Also a small trash bag for trash.
A food bag and length of string to hang the bag. String can double as a clothes line.
and trekking poles,
a few assorted zip lock bags for various uses.
I would have a small note book to record your trip and a pen or pencil.
and a watch, compass and maps and a camera.
I also like to have a wallet for my money and ID cards, license, ect.

and can you post the total weight of your pack, not counting food and water?

Panzer

Mrpokey
02-11-2009, 21:18
My pack was a heavy one at 15 lbs without food and water

Panzer1
02-11-2009, 21:29
8oz Biodegradeable SoapAs far as 8 ounces is concerned, that depends on what you are going to use the soap for. If your going to use it for washing your hands, face and arms, shampooing your hair, washing dishes and socks then you will probably go thru 8 ounces reasonably quick especially if you go through this process daily.

Note, some people on this list do not wash when on the trail, but if your the type that likes to keep clean when on the trail, then maybe 8 ounces is not excessive for you.

Panzer

Mongoose2
02-11-2009, 21:34
I always wondered what that smell was!:eek::o

Mrpokey
02-11-2009, 22:05
As far as 8 ounces is concerned, that depends on what you are going to use the soap for. If your going to use it for washing your hands, face and arms, shampooing your hair, washing dishes and socks then you will probably go thru 8 ounces reasonably quick especially if you go through this process daily.

Note, some people on this list do not wash when on the trail, but if your the type that likes to keep clean when on the trail, then maybe 8 ounces is not excessive for you.

Panzer

The soap is supposedly good to use on your body and on your dishes. I plan to wash my pan daily, and my body when the possibility presents itself. Like I said I don't have a lot of money for mail drops so I have to carry extra stuff. I don't have the luxury or frequent mail drops or extra money for restaurant food, or buying a lot of food in towns

Panzer1
02-11-2009, 22:51
Remember, the more clothes you wear in a down bag, the colder you'll be.

I don't know if that is really true. It might depend on the sleeping bag. If the bag is too small and you try to put on too much clothes you might just end up compressing the down too much thus making you colder. But if you have a large enough bag with plenty of room you won't have that problem.

Panzer

Panzer1
02-11-2009, 22:55
I always wondered what that smell was!:eek::o

some hikers really do smell too much. If they are just too lazy to wash, then I can't respect that.

Panzer
PS this doesn't mean I'm talking about you...:D:D

Panzer1
02-11-2009, 22:59
My pack was a heavy one at 15 lbs without food and water

That's not too heavy. At 15 pounds you could probably stand to add a few more things to your pack.

Panzer

Mrpokey
02-12-2009, 00:47
If I add anything else it'll just be food, or something very light. (notepad and pen, Keilty pillow, etc

Panzer1
02-12-2009, 20:30
If I add anything else it'll just be food, or something very light. (notepad and pen, Keilty pillow, etc

Add more things to your toilet kit. I have found that a well stocked toilet kit makes life more enjoyable on the trail.

Panzer

wrongway_08
02-12-2009, 20:43
I always carried soap. I would hang the PlatyPus bag in a tree and take a shower every 3 days or so. I would shower before hitching into town. The days I didnt shower I would wash off my arms and face - makes a big difference while sleeping.

I would ditch the leatherman, get a small Kershaw - great knifes, light weight.