PDA

View Full Version : SD Lightning 2 or Hubba Hubba?

optimator
02-11-2009, 15:18
I'm looking for a freestanding 2 man tent, and I think I've narrowed it down to these two. I really like (and want) the 2 doors on the HH. My girlfriend has started going with me, so the two doors and vestibules would be great. It also looks like I could use my trek poles to prop the center opening fly into a porch setup. On the other hand, with the sales right now I could get the SD for half the price of the HH. Only one door, and the vestibule doesn't split down the middle. The weight is the same, but the SD is 6" longer. And I'm already more than sold on SD's quality & customer service. Plus my 60 hour a week job has become 32 IF i'm lucky... So saving money is a big point now too.. Help?

skinewmexico
02-11-2009, 15:28
Faced with the same choice, I went with the REI Quarterdome T3. The T2 would work with a girlfriend. And then went to the TT Double Rainbow.

optimator
02-11-2009, 15:47
My only dilemma is I'm stuck with the dealer that I returned my Montbell tent to. And their not REI...

mlkelley
02-11-2009, 16:16
I love my lightning. I don't think it can be beat for the price. But, I walked with several couples last year that slept in HH's, and loved them. It appeared to me, that the HH is a quality piece of gear. But it seems like a lot of money to me for the extra door/vestibule. Is the extra money worth not having to climb over, or be climbed over in the middle of the night?

optimator
02-11-2009, 16:22
I love my lightning. I don't think it can be beat for the price. But, I walked with several couples last year that slept in HH's, and loved them. It appeared to me, that the HH is a quality piece of gear. But it seems like a lot of money to me for the extra door/vestibule. Is the extra money worth not having to climb over, or be climbed over in the middle of the night?
I hate replying to my own threads but... Thats what I'm talking about. Money. She will come out with me once a month or so, the other trips I'll be solo. When she is with me, I'll sleep by the door. She's still in her 20's and sleeps all night anyways :D I'm the one who gets up during the night..

Cabin Fever
02-11-2009, 16:25
I know you are limited to one store, but think about buying something else and getting your tent elsewhere. I lucked up and got a new Hubba Hubba on eBay for $110.

Lilred
02-11-2009, 18:09
keep an eye out for last years HH. The orange fly. You may find them onsale or on ebay. I have a single Hubba and I like it. Still like my Squall better though.

MintakaCat
02-11-2009, 18:20
I have the Hubba Hubba HP myself and I've been very impressed by it. However, it does costs a great deal, so I can understand your point. The HP version costs even more than the non-HP version.

One suggestion I can offer is that if you are a REI member, you can rent a tent from them real cheap. You might want to see what they offer for rent and see if that might be a possible choice.

Good luck and if you have any questions on the HH tent maybe I can help even though I am using the HP version.

anarky321
02-12-2009, 10:03
i have an orange HH and i love it; its drying next to me as i type this, after a night of rain and wind in the forest with 40 degree temperatures, probably closer to 30's with the windchill

consider the fact that double doors offer increased ventilation, for me its essential in hot weather, ive tried single door tents and they just dont work for me; the HH also has one of the best pole designs out there right now if not THE best

hootyhoo
02-14-2009, 19:20
I think I saw that Sierra Designs on Moontrail for 154.00. Their warranty is almost unbeatable - lifetime and they back it up.

Summit
02-14-2009, 23:57
I can't compare them because I own the SD Lightning and have never slept in the HH. I really like my Lightning, and for the price (Someone else said it's $129 right now somewhere) you can't go wrong. The custom-made footprint for it is not worth it in my opinion and too big. Unless you fold it over both length-wise and width-wise (therefore you can't attach it as designed) it extends beyond the sides of the tent and rain runs down, onto the footprint and puddles between it and the tent floor. I would just get a piece of Tyvak cut to size a little smaller than the tent deminsions.

optimator
02-15-2009, 00:48
I've pretty much decided on the SD. The stuff of theirs I already own is bomber. And my experience with their CS department was first class. Plus with the money I'll save, I can try a.... Hammock:eek:

Toolshed
02-15-2009, 10:13
So, I had put a link here to Backcountrygear.com where the lightning was $129. Sold out extremely fast. I got one with free shipping - Wish I bought a dozen to sell on ebay.
Anyways spent a night in it and It is a little on the short side with me at 6'1", but solo, I can sleep on the diagonal to gain length. and it is perfect for my cub scout son and his 2 amigos.
I wish they shipped better stakes (Like MSR Needles) and guy-out lines with taut-line sliders (Like MSR) I can easily just tie a taut-line knot, but sliders are nice.
Also, the guy-out lines also seemed a little cheap.
Otherwise it is a keeper for the next 5 Years.

Many Walks
02-15-2009, 23:41
We used our MSR HH in all sorts of nasty weather and it performed flawlessly on our thru. We really liked having two vestibules. Put tyvek under each one to store our gear and it was great. Last fall I strolled into an REI in San Jose where they had a huge tent closeout sale going on. The REI Quarter dome T2 ($270) weighs in at 3 lb 12 oz, about 2 oz less than the HH ($300) and is similar design and construction, but were heavily discounted in the sale. They were sold out except the display model, which I bought on the spot for $109. If you can rent, borrow, or buy a cheaper tent through the season and catch a deal on a good tent in the fall on ebay or on sale you can save some real on quality gear. Enjoy your hike!

optimator
02-19-2009, 15:23
Well, I ended up with the HH :rolleyes:. It was on sale, & with my store credit I already had, it was only $50 out of my pocket. It is heavy tho, way over all the online specs I've read. Looks to be a very cool tent anyways. It's set up in the living room, and it's nap time..... Thanks for all the help folks!