PDA

View Full Version : Debate on pronunciation of "Appalachian"

Workstay
02-11-2009, 16:01
My thru-hiking partner and I are going to kill each other over this issue! Please end it. I don't care who is right. Or at least give me a compelling argument for either side.

Where I am from we pronounce it app-a-lay-chin. In fact everyone I've talked to including some people who live with 20 miles of part of the trail in NY and PN pronounce it that way.

My friend however, lives in Boone N.C. and goes to Appalachian State College. I guess this instantly makes them the leading authority on naming the entire mountain range (in his mind at least). He pronounces it app-a-latch-in. In fact, thats how my name Latch has come to be. Because he is constantly sayng "Latch" to me when I'm talking about the trail.

Lone Wolf
02-11-2009, 16:05
Where I am from we pronounce it app-a-lay-chin.

that is the correct pronunciation

max patch
02-11-2009, 16:06
My friend however, lives in Boone N.C. and goes to Appalachian State College. I guess this instantly makes them the leading authority on naming the entire mountain range (in his mind at least). He pronounces it app-a-latch-in.

http://inogolo.com/audio/Appalachian_5072.mp3

Your friend is pretty smart.

flemdawg1
02-11-2009, 16:07
Apple-latchin'

emerald
02-11-2009, 16:09
I served the last time and will be sitting this one out.

YoungMoose
02-11-2009, 16:10
i call it the appa-la-chin thats how i pronounce it as well as my friends and family

Ramble~On
02-11-2009, 16:14
:-? Seems this horse has been beaten pretty thoroughly already. I'll play though

In England aluminum is "Al-you-min-um"

Vitamin is "Vit ah min" as opposed to our "Vite- ah- min"

There's a sign in HF at ATC that helps clear things up for folks willing to accept the two pronounciations

Southern - App-ah-latch-un

Northern - App-A-Lay-chen

http://inogolo.com/pronunciation/d1345/Appalachian_Appalachian

Though some say chin rather than chan or chen.

If it's too much for anyone you could just call it the AT and let it go.

ASU in Boone, NC that's Appalachian State University (not college) is clearly the southern pronounciation.
But, you likely won't fail an english course for pronouncing it either way.

Po tate oh....Po Tot -oh...tater...spud...same thing!

Edit..opps sorry, missed the fact that someone beat me to the link

fehchet
02-11-2009, 16:25
no

bigmac_in
02-11-2009, 16:35
Didn't we just do this ?

BR360
02-11-2009, 16:35
Nu Yawk. Neeyew Yohrk.

Jorh-gee-ah. Jee-oh-jah.

North Care-oh-line-ah. Noh kah-line-ah.

Eht-set-terrah. Eht setrah.

Point is, preferred pronunciation is regional. Not always the "right way." "When in Rome..."

emerald
02-11-2009, 16:53
Didn't we just do this?

Yes! Those who want to vote and catch the concluding remarks click here (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?p=746432#post746432).

The rest of you, feel free to carry on.

Summit
02-11-2009, 17:20
Someone would have to axed this question, wouldn't they?

Workstay
02-11-2009, 19:33
Sorry if ya'll just talked about this. I looked around the forums for a bit before asking, but I guess not enough.

Thanks for the clarification. I'm glad that I wont be ridiculed for my way of saying it, however at the same time, I am saddened that my buddy wont be ridiculed for his way. If you guys run into two guys at eachothers throats arguing about this subject on the trail, like a rattlesnake- just stand back observe us from a safe distance...unless you're on the "laych" team, then feel free to chime in ;)

Montana AT05
02-11-2009, 19:51
Most people believe the American Civil War was about slavery, or State's Rights. They are wrong.

It was about this thread's topic.

buff_jeff
02-11-2009, 23:07
I say: Appa-Lay-Shin

Ron Haven
02-11-2009, 23:53
Nether one of them is right so either way is ok.Yapolachuia is a tribal indian word meaning forever translate by the white man to appalachian

Ziggy Trek
02-12-2009, 00:00
I say: Appa-Lay-Shin
Ditto

Tinker
02-12-2009, 00:11
Mason-Dixon :D

Ron Haven
02-12-2009, 00:26
Most people believe the American Civil War was about slavery, or State's Rights. They are wrong.

It was about this thread's topic.It was over the taxation of cotton wasn't it?

buff_jeff
02-12-2009, 00:31
It was over the taxation of cotton wasn't it?

It was over myriad things but the salient reason, and the one most scholars assign the most legitimacy to, was the south's heinous pronunciation of the word "appalachian."

Ron Haven
02-12-2009, 00:32
Sorry if ya'll just talked about this. I looked around the forums for a bit before asking, but I guess not enough.

Thanks for the clarification. I'm glad that I wont be ridiculed for my way of saying it, however at the same time, I am saddened that my buddy wont be ridiculed for his way. If you guys run into two guys at eachothers throats arguing about this subject on the trail, like a rattlesnake- just stand back observe us from a safe distance...unless you're on the "laych" team, then feel free to chime in ;)They call a rattlesnake in Cailfornia a cascabel huh?:o

Tinker
02-12-2009, 00:37
There's another word - rattler. Most folks up north say rat'-tle-r. Most folks down south say rat'-ler.
Better have your in'-sur-ance if'n you meet up with a rat'-ler. :D

Ron Haven
02-12-2009, 01:02
There's another word - rattler. Most folks up north say rat'-tle-r. Most folks down south say rat'-ler.
Better have your in'-sur-ance if'n you meet up with a rat'-ler. :DThen you need to bow your head,spit,don't move you head,just move yee eyes up til yee can see the white under em and then say"UNDERSTAND".

Or the true way is UNNERSTAN ;)

Tinker
02-12-2009, 01:10
Don't worry, Ron, I speak Southern :D.

Lived in Richmond, Va. for 2+ years. Would've stayed but came back to RI to take care of my folks.

Ron Haven
02-12-2009, 01:28
Don't worry, Ron, I speak Southern :D.

Lived in Richmond, Va. for 2+ years. Would've stayed but came back to RI to take care of my folks.I hear you.Lone Wolf can speak it to.I had someone ask me at the bash a few years back what part of Georgia was he from?I said "man he is from Tennessee".the guy said" I thought he was from somewhere down in here".I said"I was just joking,he is from RI".

Now he didn't believe me.I said ask him so he did.Lone Wolf said RI.Then I heard him as another hiker where he was from.We had him so confused I don't think he believed any of us.

Tinker
02-12-2009, 01:34
:D. I never lost my yankee "accent" entirely. Folks in Va. would ask me where I was from. They figured mabe Maryland, Pennsylvania, etc. When I told them RI, they said something to the effect of "Where in the heck is that?", or, "Isn't that a part of New York?"...........Then I'd tell them where it was and how we sometimes couldn't find our houses in the winter because the snow buried them, etc. :p We rarely had more than two feet of snow on the ground at any given time, but I couldn't resist. ;)

Manwich
02-12-2009, 10:05
The Random House unabridged dictionary lists four pronunciations.

ap"u-lā'chē-un, - "apple lay chee un"
ap"u-lā'chun - "apple lay chun
ap"u-lach'ē-un - "apple latch-ee un"
ap"u-lach'un - "apple latch un"

In terms of linguistics ap'ul = "apple" so at least we can agree that Appalachian is prefaced by a fruit.

D'Artagnan
02-12-2009, 15:02
Is it MACK-uh-fee Knob or Muh-KAFF-ee Knob?

(McAfee Knob)

Oh, Apple-at-chun in my house.

Ramble~On
02-12-2009, 15:25
Nether one of them is right so either way is ok.Yapolachuia is a tribal indian word meaning forever translate by the white man to appalachian

Can-tuc-kee became Kentucky

Tsa La Gee - became Cherokee

etc etc....Since butchering everything else was being done- the land, animals, people, each other....it only makes sense to butcher the language as well.

Ron Haven
02-12-2009, 23:30
[quote=Ramble~On;777640]
Ken-tah-ten became Kentucky
Tsa La Gee - became Cherokee

quote]Yes the word Cherokee means people in the stalagee language.

Tinker
02-13-2009, 00:08
The origin of words is a wonderful and deep subject.
Dakota means "friend".
Many states have Spanish names: Florida "flowered, or flowering"
Montana "mountain" without the tilde (accent over the second n).
Arizona, I believe, means "arid zone".
Colorado "colored".
Quite a hodge-podge of languages have made their way into the average American English dialogue.

Christobal302
02-15-2009, 11:15
Where I'm from it's is appa-lat-chin.

People consider you an outsider if you say Appa lay cian. It is just like the difference between Derry and Londonderry, Ireland. Sameway for Donegal. If you are from there it is Donnie-gal, but people who aren't from there called it Don a gul.

Cheers!

~Dean

kanga
02-15-2009, 11:21
appa lay shun
joer jah

just sayin'.

Bearpaw
02-15-2009, 11:22
When I grew up, we always called those mountains to the east "the Smokies". Didn't matter that they went on up to the end of the world in Virginia ;), we still just called them the Smokies. I don't know that I ever heard the word "Appalachian" until 5th grade. I guess my teacher was a Yankee, because I learned it as "Apple-lay-shun", southerner or not.

Nearly Normal
02-15-2009, 11:24
I wish I could go to Nu orlens next week and stay thru Fat Twosdee.

beakerman
02-15-2009, 12:32
yeah I learned appa-lay-shun where I grew up in appa-lay-shia...

I really get bothered by the appa-latchen folks because the first time I heard it was on WKRP in Cinncinatti via Les Nessman who constantly mispronounced things like Cheye-Cheye Ro-degrees. Then I noticed that those idiots on NBC picked up on that particular pronounciation of it--propagation of a bad joke.

Oh yeah and for nearly norm...

its Naw-lens and your Fat Twosdee is really Maw-di-graw--think new york pronounciations (dropping certain letters) with a mississippi type southern drawl (slow).

Nearly Normal
02-15-2009, 16:23
Mardi Gras last for a week.
Before Fat Tuesday, neighborhoods and organizations put on parties and public and private parades. Some are quite good and themed. Some parades where as small as 2 or 3 people. Some 100.
In the early 70's I lived there and attended for 3 years in a row. There was practicly no trouble even on Fat Tuesday. What you see on TV these days is a different animal.
People where more into the shocking or weird themes and having a good time.
Most people dressed up in some way or another like a women dressed as a nun drinking out of a quart bottle of Jack Daniels or someone using a cleaned out Clorox to drink from.
When next in New Orleans pronounce it like your post and get laughed at as a tourist.

beakerman
02-15-2009, 16:45
Mardi Gras last for a week.
Before Fat Tuesday, neighborhoods and organizations put on parties and public and private parades. Some are quite good and themed. Some parades where as small as 2 or 3 people. Some 100.
In the early 70's I lived there and attended for 3 years in a row. There was practicly no trouble even on Fat Tuesday. What you see on TV these days is a different animal.
People where more into the shocking or weird themes and having a good time.
Most people dressed up in some way or another like a women dressed as a nun drinking out of a quart bottle of Jack Daniels or someone using a cleaned out Clorox to drink from.
When next in New Orleans pronounce it like your post and get laughed at as a tourist.

Yeah I did 4 years down there myself and Mardi Gras was a blast. I leved one block off of veterans in Metarie so I spent lots of time at the parades there in Metarie. I also went to a couple of the big parades in New Orleans proper but I really enjoyed the ones outside of town much better--just personal taste I guess.

It seemed to me they did not pronounce it Nu orlens..of course these things are indeed difficult to type so we may be trying to type what we hear and failing at it. Also ome of what we hear is biased on how we speak ourselves. Being a yankee myself what I was hearing was indeed more of a naw-lens sound. Of course it did vary a little from one side of the river to the other and from one section of town to another. In some places it sounded to me more like a na-orlens which could indeed be your nu orlens but either way they absolutely never say Nu or-leans (the way it is spelled).

Of course there were times I had no idea what they were saying at all--it took me a good fifteen minutes one day to order a quater pounder with cheese at mickies. I simply could not understand what the dude was saying to me. Of course I now have that same problem here in Houston but that is because they are indeed speaking a different language most of the time.

MOWGLI
02-15-2009, 16:47
It's pronounced Appalachian. Why is that so hard to understand? ;)

Ron Haven
02-15-2009, 23:58
The origin of words is a wonderful and deep subject.
Dakota means "friend".
Many states have Spanish names: Florida "flowered, or flowering"
Montana "mountain" pronounced as moan tanya
Arizona, I believe, means "arid zone".
Colorado "colored red".
Nevada is falling snow
Los Angeles is Those Angels
Las Vegas is the meadows
San Diego is St Doug
Quite a hodge-podge of languages have made their way into the average American English dialogue.

Yes it is intresting how these words came about.

beakerman
02-16-2009, 02:57
I'm convinced it's all just Native American humor...I can see it now....Two Iroquois watching some dumb English guys tromping around the woods in the middle of summer in their hot dark wool and the first Iroquois says to the second "Watch what I can get these fools to say....We call that river Susquehanna...good luck spelling it" Then after the English go back to town they laugh and say "That was pretty funny let's go see whatelse we can get tehm to say..."

Pedaling Fool
02-16-2009, 08:33
Occassionally I hear someone say "In the Wood", as opposed to "In the Woods". I heard it again on TV last night. Why do some people refer to the woods as the wood? Just sounds stupid.

TrippinBTM
02-16-2009, 21:50
There is no one right way to say it, just like there's no one right way to say any other word (as far as accents go).

A friend of mine in Tennessee says it's supposed to be "the southern way" because she lives in them, she should know, right? Well, what about the northerners who live in them, and say it the northern way?

I move that we rename the whole range the Allegheny Mountains as was proposed (and often used) before any official name was chosen by those who make official choices like that. Problem solved.

Tinker
02-16-2009, 21:55
Occassionally I hear someone say "In the Wood", as opposed to "In the Woods". I heard it again on TV last night. Why do some people refer to the woods as the wood? Just sounds stupid.
The same might be said of "Hiking in the bush."
Which bush? I see a LOT of them. :D
So English is imprecise, the rules change from day to day and region to region. Who is to say what is right? Logically, only the English. Ok, then, what PART of England?
And so it goes, round and round.........
It's quite fun, really.:)

hootyhoo
02-18-2009, 09:12
Appa le shun.

Ender
02-18-2009, 10:58
There is no debate... pronounce it however you want. Heck, in 1000 years it'll probably be pronounced completely differently anyway, or more likely even named something completely different. So who cares, pronounce it however you want.

I grew up saying Apple-Lay-Shun. I have friends who pronounce it Apple-At-Chun, App-Latch-In, Apple-Lay-Chin.... in the end, we're all talking about the same mountains.

Manwich
02-18-2009, 11:27
There is no debate... pronounce it however you want. Heck, in 1000 years it'll probably be pronounced completely differently anyway, or more likely even named something completely different. So who cares, pronounce it however you want.

I grew up saying Apple-Lay-Shun. I have friends who pronounce it Apple-At-Chun, App-Latch-In, Apple-Lay-Chin.... in the end, we're all talking about the same mountains.

with the current direction of english speech and communication, i fear for the future.

AppaLOLchin

idk, my bffl jill?

dperry
02-18-2009, 22:08
There is no one right way to say it, just like there's no one right way to say any other word (as far as accents go).

A friend of mine in Tennessee says it's supposed to be "the southern way" because she lives in them, she should know, right? Well, what about the northerners who live in them, and say it the northern way?

I move that we rename the whole range the Allegheny Mountains as was proposed (and often used) before any official name was chosen by those who make official choices like that. Problem solved.

Actually, that might not help either. I've heard it both Al-uh-gay-nee and Aluh-guh-hay-nee. :-?

TrippinBTM
02-19-2009, 10:03
We can use the "english" spelling, which is Allegany. Problem solved?

DrRichardCranium
08-08-2009, 10:21
I would like to propose an idea for a new tradition:

Perhaps at Trail Days, or some other Gathering, there should be a MASSIVE WATER BALLOON FIGHT, pitting the "short-a" pronouncers vs the "long-a" pronouncers.

That would seem to be the mature way to settle the issue. :banana

Wise Old Owl
08-08-2009, 10:24
I'm convinced it's all just Native American humor...I can see it now....Two Iroquois watching some dumb English guys tromping around the woods in the middle of summer in their hot dark wool and the first Iroquois says to the second "Watch what I can get these fools to say....We call that river Susquehanna...good luck spelling it" Then after the English go back to town they laugh and say "That was pretty funny let's go see whatelse we can get tehm to say..."

Hey You got a chuckle! - I liked it.:D

Skyline
08-08-2009, 10:48
Another vote for Apple-Latchin in case anyone's keeping score.

A few years ago Felix McGillicuddy wrote a piece where it turned out to be Apple-Asian. But I think he was just trying to be politically incorrect. :D

Skyline
08-08-2009, 10:49
I would like to propose an idea for a new tradition:

Perhaps at Trail Days, or some other Gathering, there should be a MASSIVE WATER BALLOON FIGHT, pitting the "short-a" pronouncers vs the "long-a" pronouncers.

That would seem to be the mature way to settle the issue. :banana

So the South can rise again? :rolleyes:

Reid
08-08-2009, 10:54
Here's a good link I grabbed off another thread a week or so ago.

http://inogolo.com/pronunciation/d1345/Appalachian_Appalachian

Summit
08-08-2009, 11:42
"Short-a" according to all the PHDs at Appalachian State University! :eek: :D

soad
08-08-2009, 17:45

I vote for a 'short-a' for ASU...it's their school they can decide how it's pronounced. The mountain range should be the 'long-a'. :banana

Summit
08-08-2009, 17:54
The mountain range should be the 'long-a'. :bananaBased on what? Northern tradition takes precedence over Southern tradition?

soad
08-08-2009, 18:03
Based on what? Northern tradition takes precedence over Southern tradition?

The dancing banana :banana is from Vermont, he made the final decision.

Summit
08-08-2009, 21:49
The dancing banana :banana is from Vermont, he made the final decision.That does it! I'm for another civil war over this! :eek:

Wags
08-08-2009, 23:41
apparently. i looked it up and it seems that it's correctly pronounced "lay" if you're in the north, and "latch" if you're in the south. so i'm assuming at pennmar park you must make the change

weary
08-09-2009, 00:09
Another vote for Apple-Latchin in case anyone's keeping score.

A few years ago Felix McGillicuddy wrote a piece where it turned out to be Apple-Asian. But I think he was just trying to be politically incorrect. :D
No. He was just trying to say something, about something, whatever it may have been.

But for those of us who have been thinking about it, Appalachian, is obviously pronounced Appalachian.

Weary

LaurieAnn
08-11-2009, 09:30
In Canada we pronounce it App-a-lay-chan. ;)

Summit
08-11-2009, 10:55
In Canada we pronounce it App-a-lay-chan. ;)No surprise! You Canucks are north of Northerners! :eek: :p

jaywalke
08-11-2009, 12:38

It's pronounced that way by all the Appalachian scholars I've met. All of the academic programs focused on Appalachia are in the south, too, except for one rebel in Dayton, OH.

njordan2
08-11-2009, 22:37
apple-ay-shin
Everyone else is wrong ;)

MikenSalem
08-11-2009, 23:13
ap-latch-n only it's moot, I live in the Blue Ridge with God. Uns eat yas hearts out.

Hikerhead
08-11-2009, 23:37
Say it in your best southern redneck accent and thats the way it was meant to be pronounced. .

Manwich
08-11-2009, 23:48
There is no debate. There are several variants of it. Tomato Tomato.

Press
08-12-2009, 21:05
apple-atchin.

Snowleopard
08-13-2009, 10:54
Don't forget that the Appalachian chain of mountains extends through Newfoundland and, because of continental drift, on to Europe and Africa. You'd expect the local people to pronounce it differently. I wonder how the Scots pronounce it?
I have a Western New England (CT) accent and pronounce it App-a-lay-shi-an.

Monkeyboy
08-14-2009, 11:57
Mao-tan.......

Cookerhiker
08-14-2009, 21:56
As a northerner (ignore the Lexington location - I just moved there), I was taught long a - Apple lay chin - but on the other hand, everyone pronounces the National Forest in Florida - Apalachicola - with a short a.

Swiss Roll
08-18-2009, 12:25
call it what you want, but don't presume that you can correct me for saying apple-latchin when seven generations of my ancestors have lived there and called it that.

Namaste
08-18-2009, 12:55
My aunt married a man from Tennessee who's family has been there for many generations and they pronounce it AppaLATCHin.

DrRichardCranium
08-18-2009, 14:00
OK, then here's a question for everyone: If I do a NOBO thru-hike, at what point on the trail do I switch from "LATCH" to "LAYCH"?:-? I'm thinking probably somewhere in northern virginia?

Swiss Roll
08-18-2009, 14:11
OK, then here's a question for everyone: If I do a NOBO thru-hike, at what point on the trail do I switch from "LATCH" to "LAYCH"?:-? I'm thinking probably somewhere in northern virginia?

Not so fast, I have many friends here in Alabama (Ala-bay-ma?) who use the LAYCH pronunciation. Say what feels right to you and tell the self-appointed language police to shove it.

Summit
08-18-2009, 18:48
True confession . . . I'm inconsistent, and I'm as Southern as you can get. Sometimes it comes out one way, and sometimes it comes out the other, and you know what . . . I really don't care! :eek: :D :p

the brownbear
08-20-2009, 12:27
hike your own hike - talk your own talk - :banana

Nomaderwhat
08-23-2009, 07:45
Apple Lay Shin

kanga
08-23-2009, 10:35
y'all are all retarded. it's appalachian.

SteveJ
08-23-2009, 11:02
call it what you want, but don't presume that you can correct me for saying apple-latchin when seven generations of my ancestors have lived there and called it that.

what he said... (OK - my grandparents moved from the mountains to the flatlands of AL - but the prior 5 generations were mountain people....)

PSy BaSS
08-25-2009, 17:47
Depends if you can speak english; then it depends on if you can read english!!

Summit
08-25-2009, 18:08
Depends if you can speak english; then it depends on if you can read english!!Is that the same as saying "it depends on whether you're a snooty sophisticate or not?" :rolleyes:

PSy BaSS
08-25-2009, 19:03
It it what it is! If you put the word in front of someone that has never heard of Appalachian before the chances are they will pronounce it the way it's written!

Summit
08-25-2009, 20:04
Depends if you can speak english; then it depends on if you can read english!!
It it what it is!Say what? It also depends on if you can spell / type! :p

How do you pronounce "naive?" Like it's written?

freefall
08-26-2009, 07:33
I actually caught myself using both a couple of weeks ago.

If I'm saying something like the Appalachian Trail or whatnot I use app-a-latch-in.

But If I'm using Appalachian as a stand alone noun, I pronounce it app-a-lay-chin(s).

Swiss Roll
08-26-2009, 09:06
It it what it is! If you put the word in front of someone that has never heard of Appalachian before the chances are they will pronounce it the way it's written!

Looks like Ah-pah-latch-un to me.

PSy BaSS
08-26-2009, 11:47
Whoa cowboy slow down before someone gets hurt!! I wasn't taking a shot; I was just simply stating that if you look at the word, it should be pronounced the way it's written. I thought it was fairly ambiguous actually!! Not really sure why you took such offense to it, perhaps you feel like you’re not saying it right, whatever way that may be!!

And just for the record.....

Say what? It also depends on if you can spell / type! :p

I'm sure you could have done better than that! Was that your way of letting me know you can actually read and write? Very good; three gold stars!!!

Tennessee Viking
08-26-2009, 12:48
If you live in the south, it is
Apple-Latch-In

If you live in the north, it is
Apple-Lay-Chin

Then some people say 'dem hills or hi-contra'

freefall
08-26-2009, 12:52
If you live in the south, it is
Apple-Latch-In

If you live in the north, it is
Apple-Lay-Chin

Then some people say 'dem hills or hi-contra'
I grew up in South-east VA. Kinda the middle ground, guess that explains it.

ShoelessWanderer
08-26-2009, 13:04
It depends...do you eat grits?

I've determined a true southerner is one who eats grits. (maybe not the most scientific, but seems to work :))

If you don't eat grits the correct pronunciation is app-a-lay-chin, if you do the correct pronunciation is app-a-latch-in. So, yes, there are 2 correct ways.

Just think of it as an easy way of knowing where a person is from (and whether or not they'll try to steal your grits at breakfast).

Summit
08-26-2009, 13:13
I was just simply stating that if you look at the word, it should be pronounced the way it's written. I thought it was fairly ambiguous actually!! Not really sure why you took such offense to it, perhaps you feel like you’re not saying it right, whatever way that may be!!I am simply stating that many words are not pronounced the way they are written (such as naive). Who crowned you the arbiter to decide that this particular word MUST be pronounced the way it is written? The only offense I'm taking is your pompous attitude from the beginning:

Depends if you can speak english; then it depends on if you can read english!! Any way you cut it, that's a couple of pretty demeaning statements towards "Apple-Latch-In" pronouncing folks by insinuating they cannot speak English nor read English. So I spoon you some of your own medicine with "you can't type" and you reveal that you can dish it out but you can't take it. :eek: FWIW, I stated before and will do so again for your benefit. I say it both ways and neither way is wrong.

Alligator
08-26-2009, 13:21
Uh-oh Fort Sumter is getting bombed again.

CaseyB
08-26-2009, 14:09
It depends...do you eat grits?

I've determined a true southerner is one who eats grits. (maybe not the most scientific, but seems to work :))

If you don't eat grits the correct pronunciation is app-a-lay-chin, if you do the correct pronunciation is app-a-latch-in. So, yes, there are 2 correct ways.

Just think of it as an easy way of knowing where a person is from (and whether or not they'll try to steal your grits at breakfast).

You don't have to be a southerner to be a hillbilly:Dbut it helps

Spokes
08-26-2009, 14:55
the difference between a violin and a fiddle. A violin has STRINGS, and a fiddle has STRANGS

.........hehehehehe.

-Spokes

Summit
08-26-2009, 18:18
Uh-oh Fort Sumter is getting bombed again.More like . . . getting cow-pattied! Uh oh, is that a word? "Cow-pattied." Do you pronounce it just like it looks? Sheesh, here we go again! :p

PSy BaSS
08-27-2009, 07:23
Any way you cut it, that's a couple of pretty demeaning statements towards "Apple-Latch-In" pronouncing folks by insinuating they cannot speak English nor read English. So I spoon you some of your own medicine with "you can't type" and you reveal that you can dish it out but you can't take it. :eek: FWIW, I stated before and will do so again for your benefit. I say it both ways and neither way is wrong.

Not really sure how you came to the conclusion that i was talking about "Apple-Latch-In pronouncing folks"

If you do say it both ways why would you automatically assume i was referring to the "latch" type by associating not being able to speak or read English. If anything you're the one doing a wonderful disservice to the "Apple Latch-In" crew!!

ASSumptions are a beautiful thing!! xox

Summit
08-27-2009, 11:04
Not really sure how you came to the conclusion that i was talking about "Apple-Latch-In pronouncing folks"

If you do say it both ways why would you automatically assume i was referring to the "latch" type by associating not being able to speak or read English. If anything you're the one doing a wonderful disservice to the "Apple Latch-In" crew!!

ASSumptions are a beautiful thing!! xoxBack peddling at this point will get you nowhere. Why don't you man-up and admit you were being derogatory toward those pronouncing it different from the way it looks? Just like you are with "ASSumptions." Anyone reading that post and your last one can clearly see your veiled (poorly) offensiveness. I'd be careful with the name calling, even when veiled in a childish way . . . mods don't take kindly to that around here, and doesn't bother me one bit. Cheers mate!

kanga
08-27-2009, 11:06
Back peddling at this point will get you nowhere. Why don't you man-up and admit you were being derogatory toward those pronouncing it different from the way it looks? Just like you are with "ASSumptions." Anyone reading that post and your last one can clearly see your veiled (poorly) offensiveness. I'd be careful with the name calling, even when veiled in a childish way . . . mods don't take kindly to that around here, and doesn't bother me one bit. Cheers mate!
why are you so aggressive and confrontational? it's obnoxious...

Lone Wolf
08-27-2009, 11:09
it's LAYshun. end of thread

bpitt
08-28-2009, 09:58
Here in south Mississippi, we say Appa-lay-shun...it's a Southern thing I guess.