PDA

View Full Version : anyone tarptent or lunar duo w/o poles?

Wags
02-11-2009, 16:12
i don't use trecking poles, but have been intrigued by both of these 2 tent designs for awhile now. i'm currently using an older model SD clip flashlight (4lb even) tent. i appreciate the weight savings, ventilation, and roominess of these 2 designs. but i'm hesitant to buy em b/c i don't use poles. if i had to get the optional poles on these would the weight savings really be worth it?

anyone doing this?

thanks

slow
02-11-2009, 16:39
i don't use trecking poles, but have been intrigued by both of these 2 tent designs for awhile now. i'm currently using an older model SD clip flashlight (4lb even) tent. i appreciate the weight savings, ventilation, and roominess of these 2 designs. but i'm hesitant to buy em b/c i don't use poles. if i had to get the optional poles on these would the weight savings really be worth it?

anyone doing this?

thanks

I have the duo and use the cf poles 3.7 oz.works great.:)

bigcranky
02-11-2009, 16:47
if i had to get the optional poles on these would the weight savings really be worth it?

Yes, even with the optional poles you'll still save some significant weight.

skinewmexico
02-11-2009, 17:03
TT Cloudburst 2 and Rainbows don't need trekking poles.

Foyt20
02-11-2009, 17:34
Go rainbow, you dont need to use poles, i have set it up both ways and it works great.

kytrailman
02-11-2009, 17:38
Second on the rainboe--- No trekking poles needed and you will like it alot more than the SD.

garlic08
02-11-2009, 19:37
I bought the extra front pole for my Tarptent Virga for bicycle touring. Trekking poles just don't work very well on a bike.

Wags
02-11-2009, 19:40
so what's the weight gain of the tarptent w/ a pole? basically, what is the weight of the poles needed?

Wags
02-11-2009, 19:45
rainbow does look phat! i see henry has it so i won't need poles at all :D

guess i gotta wait till i get my taxes back to see if i can afford that bad boy

Deadeye
02-11-2009, 19:46
I use the older TT Squall, and the front pole is 2 ounces (on my new digital scale, thanks Santa). All told, the tent with poles comes in under 2#.

Jayboflavin04
02-12-2009, 04:25
My cloudburst 2 will be here tomorrow:banana.......Since it is so sloppy mushy here in ohio, I am gonna drive some nails into the carpet and subfloor so I can seem seal it:D

I bought it for the basic reason that I dont need trekking poles!!

Dogwood
02-12-2009, 05:26
Slow has already mentioned that U can use dedicated tent poles for the SMD Lunar Duo. And, I know Henry Shires can provide U w/ light wt. inexpensive tent poles for his shelters if U chose one of his shelters that needs them. No need to have trekking poles to put up those shelters. And, just as an interesting thought, dedicated light wt tarp and tarptent poles R virtually always lighter than the lightest wt trekking poles and don't nearly cost as much! Using trekking poles don't always save wt as they R often marketed!!! Of course, one of the the main advantages of trekking poles is that they very often can do double duty.

q-tip
02-12-2009, 16:14
I use a Shires cloudburst II. No trekking poles needed, fast setup, has kept me dry in some very heavy rain. 2.5 lbs

skinewmexico
02-12-2009, 16:54
My cloudburst 2 will be here tomorrow:banana.......Since it is so sloppy mushy here in ohio, I am gonna drive some nails into the carpet and subfloor so I can seem seal it:D

I bought it for the basic reason that I dont need trekking poles!!

Boy, that will stink up the house.

Franco
02-12-2009, 18:25
"I am gonna drive some nails into the carpet and subfloor so I can seem seal it"
Don't do that. Screw it in , much better grip that way, just in case you get some wind gusts through the door.
Franco