PDA

View Full Version : Best states to hike?

Sly
02-11-2009, 18:20
AT= ME, MA, NY, NC

CDT= CO

PCT= CA, OR

I'll let you figure why I think so. :D

Waterfall
02-11-2009, 18:27
So, you like states that start with M, N, C, and O?

Sly
02-11-2009, 18:31
They all represent relaxed, stress free hiking.

MOWGLI
02-11-2009, 18:33
Colorado and California are my two faves.

MOWGLI
02-11-2009, 18:44
Let me add that while the AT in New York State is OK, it pales in comparison to hiking in the Adirondacks, Catskills, the Shawangunk Ridge, and other areas in the state like Allegheny State Park. Don't judge NY hiking on the Appalachian Trail.

The Solemates
02-11-2009, 18:55
Let me add that while the AT in New York State is OK, it pales in comparison to hiking in the Adirondacks, Catskills, the Shawangunk Ridge, and other areas in the state like Allegheny State Park. Don't judge NY hiking on the Appalachian Trail.

no kidding. im surprised NY made his list for AT hiking.

Summit
02-11-2009, 19:00
Alberta, Canada - home of Banff and Jasper National Parks, where you get the majestic peaks like the Sierras and the flora of the AT! :)

Jack Tarlin
02-11-2009, 20:02
I think it depends on the time of year you do these sections, and unfortunatelyy, a Northbound thru-hiking schedule does not necessarily put you in these places at the best time of year. For example, tho I've never seen it, I'm sure there are plenty of better times to hike thru Georgia than March. And the mid-Atlantic states, especially Pennsylvania, are probably a helluva lot more pleasant if you're not slogging thru them in July. So I think in many cases, people think poorly of sections that would actually be quite nice if you did them at another time of year. This is just another reeason why section-hiking the Trail makes a lot of sense, as you can pick and choose where and WHEN you want to do each section.

That being said, my favorite sections/states of the Trail are

NC/TN in April or early May (or October!!)
SW Virginia in May
Central VA in May and June
Vermont in August
Maine in mid to late September

And my own neck of the woods, New Hampshire AFTER Labor Day, when it gets a whole lot quieter.

weary
02-11-2009, 20:59
....a Northbound thru-hiking schedule does not necessarily put you in these places at the best time of year. For example, tho I've never seen it, I'm sure there are plenty of better times to hike thru Georgia than March. ....Maine in mid to late September

And my own neck of the woods, New Hampshire AFTER Labor Day, when it gets a whole lot quieter.
I certainly agree that there are better times for hiking Georgia than in March. That's why wise hikers try to start at Amicalola State Park no earlier than early to mid April.

The only portion of the trail that surpasses late September and early October in Maine, is Georgia and North Carolina in late April and early May, when the spring flowers are blooming.

Weary

camojack
02-11-2009, 21:34
I'm rather partial to Hawaii.

Hey, the thread is "Best states to hike?"...and for me, Hawaii is it.

I hope they put in the long distance trail system that's been proposed for the Big Island (http://www.nature.org/wherewework/northamerica/states/hawaii/projects/index.html)...

Blissful
02-11-2009, 23:39
I like my own state - VA, any time of year. :)

buff_jeff
02-11-2009, 23:52

I hope they put in the long distance trail system that's been proposed for the Big Island (http://www.nature.org/wherewework/northamerica/states/hawaii/projects/index.html)...

Wow, that's pretty neat. I did the Mauna Loa Trail in December. It was an absolutely phenomenal experience.

Sly
02-12-2009, 00:03

Yes, on a similar note, Hawaii would be a great state to hike in! All my states have something in common. This is a quiz, I'm sure someone will get it. ;)

PS Jack have you ever been to where they film LOST?

jrwiesz
02-12-2009, 01:18
...This is a quiz, I'm sure someone will get it. ;)

PS Jack have you ever been to where they film LOST?

Hawaii.

neo
02-12-2009, 07:18
:)tennessee:cool:neo

camojack
02-12-2009, 07:55
Jack have you ever been to where they film LOST?
Been there? I was stationed there for three years. A lot of that show was filmed on Oahu's North Shore.

Anyway, I've spent time on just about all of the "major" islands in Hawaii, except for Niihau (by invitation only) and Lanai...

Egads
02-12-2009, 08:17
Not the answer you are looking for, but, one commonality is that all your states voted Obama.

ki0eh
02-12-2009, 08:18

Same goes for PA! :sun

fiddlehead
02-12-2009, 09:15
I'd have to say CA because of it's variety.
But, they are all good, (in the right weather/season.)

fiddlehead
02-12-2009, 09:19
All my states have something in common. This is a quiz, I'm sure someone will get it. ;)

I don't get it (yet) but it would be hard for me to believe you would pick NY over MT or WA

earlyriser26
02-12-2009, 10:52
Me, Nh, Nc, Tn, Va

YoungMoose
02-12-2009, 10:52
id say ME

rcli4
02-12-2009, 12:37
AT= ME, MA, NY, NC

CDT= CO

PCT= CA, OR

Either they have slack pot laws or Sly found him a lady while hiking them :>))

Clyde

flemdawg1
02-12-2009, 12:47
Alabama has a little bit of everything, mountains (Pinhoti NRT), canyons (Sipsey Wilderness and Little River Canyon), Swamps, and coastal areas, all within a day's drive. Not that I wouldn't chunk it for the right job in Colorado, though.

yappy
02-12-2009, 12:49
Alaska is tremendous too... some kinda scenery .

snowhoe
02-12-2009, 13:32
camojack, what is the name of the waterfall where they are filming Lost? My wife and I went on a nice little hike there it was great after surfing all day. Seems even more quite after a long day of waves crashing in your ears.

jersey joe
02-12-2009, 14:05
If "best state" meant the best as compared to your expectations, I'd give the nod to NJ. Otherwise; NH, ME, VA...

buff_jeff
02-12-2009, 14:09
If "best state" meant the best as compared to your expectations, I'd give the nod to NJ. Otherwise; NH, ME, VA...

I've only done the 30 southern miles of the AT in NJ but, yeah, they were phenomenal in the winter. I was totally taken by surprise.

jrwiesz
02-12-2009, 14:49
...have you ever been to where they film LOST?

Once.:sun

http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=31430&catid=searchresults&searchid=21580

Ox97GaMe
02-12-2009, 15:08
I defninitely agree with California and Colorado. There is just something special about being at 14,000 ft and being able to see for hundreds of miles in every direction. WOW. I would also have to add parts of Wyoming and Montana to that list. The Tetons, Yellowstone, Glacier, and the BearTooth are incredible areas to hike. Canyonlands and Arches National Parks in Utah are pretty memorable experiences as well, but you have to hike there in Feb/Mar timeframe to keep from frying on the rocks.

And I agree that most thru hikers dont see the true beauty of the southeast. The Smokies are incredible in summer/fall when you actually can get the views. And the best parts of the Smokies are missed by the thru hikers. you dont get to see all the waterfalls, views, flora and fauna that exists in this unique ecosystem when you just walk the ridgeline. My most memorable experience in the Smokies was watching the syncronized fireflies from an old tressel bridge in the middle of the park (about 15 miles due south of Pecks Corner. It was an indescribable wonder.

I also agree with the posting regarding NY hiking. I was VERY impressed with my hiking around Mt Marcy, Giant Mtn, and Lake Placid areas.

I would say it also depends on the time of year you are hiking an area and each hikers personal preference to beauty. Some like spring wildflowers, some like summers burst of colors, others like laying fresh tracks in the snow covered landscape. Anywhere you are hiking can be beautiful if you let yourself get to the right mindset. It sure beats a day at the office. :)

IceAge
02-12-2009, 15:18
Got it! If you mix the letters of the states you can spell "ME AN' MY RACCOON"

Sly
02-12-2009, 16:09
I don't get it (yet) but it would be hard for me to believe you would pick NY over MT or WA

You may not get it but you'll mostly likely agree with the reasons why.:sun

Sly
02-12-2009, 16:15
... they have slack pot laws ...

Clyde

LOL.. we have a winner, all states mentioned have decriminalized pot. Now we're in a gray area, does this violate rule #4?

Discussions involving how to commit illegal acts, or involving the use, production and/or distribution of illegal drugs are forbidden.:-?

trippclark
02-12-2009, 16:39
LOL.. we have a winner, all states mentioned have decriminalized pot.

Time to grow up maybe?

IceAge
02-12-2009, 17:01
So, tripp, you recommend that only children use drugs?

kyhipo
02-12-2009, 17:04
AT= ME, MA, NY, NC

CDT= CO

PCT= CA, OR

I'll let you figure why I think so. :DI like CA,NC,ky

Jeff
02-12-2009, 17:40
Florida Trail in February !!!

Down here right now. Hard to get used to sharing the trail with alligators. Saw more than 50 of them just north of the I-75 rest area. Guess why they call I-75 down here "Alligator Alley".

trippclark
02-12-2009, 17:46
So, tripp, you recommend that only children use drugs?

No, just that by the time someone is at least moderately mature they should realize just how idiotic it is. Those younger can at least blame their moronic behavior on the ignorance of youth.

fiddlehead
02-12-2009, 18:05
Time to grow up maybe?
Huh?

Nice one Sly.
Didn't know that except for CA.

Reminds me of the time i was driving back from the TC attempt.
Cop stops me in illinois and searched my van for 2 1/2 hours because i told him i had been through CA. The only thing he found was a scale that i use to measure my gear. He claimed that gave him the right to search as much as he wanted.
(Maybe it was time for him to grow up.)

Kirby
02-12-2009, 18:08
The AT in NJ is quite nice, pretty easy too.

Rockhound
02-12-2009, 18:16
I always enjoy hiking in a drunken state.

the goat
02-12-2009, 19:19
LOL.. we have a winner, all states mentioned have decriminalized pot. Now we're in a gray area, does this violate rule #4?

:-?

nah, i think you're o.k. here.

i think whiteblaze defers to the state's rights & laws, leave the feds out of it.:sun

Sly
02-13-2009, 00:18
No, just that by the time someone is at least moderately mature they should realize just how idiotic it is. Those younger can at least blame their moronic behavior on the ignorance of youth.

HYOH bub, 12 more enlightened states and their citizens disagree. You're obviously living a sheltered life.

4eyedbuzzard
02-16-2009, 11:42
AT= ME, MA, NY, NC...

Either they have slack pot laws or Sly found him a lady while hiking them :>))...

LOL.. we have a winner, all states mentioned have decriminalized pot. Now we're in a gray area, does this violate rule #4?:-?

HYOH bub, 12 more enlightened states and their citizens disagree. You're obviously living a sheltered life.

As enlightened as these states may be, the consequences for being found in possession and/or use of marijuana and/or paraphernalia may not be as benign as you may assume.

For example:

under ME law, the fine for possession of under 1.25 oz. is $350 to $600, and the fine for paraphernalia is $200 to $300.

under MA law, the fine for possession is $100, but minors so charged must attend drug awareness counseling(at their own expense) or pay a $1000 additional fine.

under NY law, possession of under 25 grams is a civil fine of $250 + $100 court costs, but possession of paraphernalia is still a misdemeanor with a penalty of up to 1 year imprisonment and $1000 fine. Additionally, if you are found with marijuana burning or it is open to public view, you could face misdemanor charges with a penalty of up to 3 months imprisonment and fine of up to $500.

under NC law, possession of under 1/2 oz is a misdemeanor with a $200 fine and a mandatory 30 day suspended sentence. Paraphernalia possession is a misdemeanor punishable by up to 6 months imprisonment + fines.

under federal law(on federal lands such as NP, NF, NWR, etc) possession is a federal misdemeanor, with first offense punishment being imprisonment of up to 1 year and a $1000 fine.

Note that in many of these decriminalized states you could still wind up with a misdemeanor conviction on your record. This can result in losing student aid and can negatively effect eligibility for student loans, can exclude you from many employment opportunities in both federal, state, and local government as well as some private sector employment, can result in suspension of your drivers license and even professional license(s), and never looks good coming up on a records search when applying for a job, loan, house or apartment rental, etc.

Just fair warning to anyone who thinks decriminalization means that there aren't other severe consequences possible for getting busted for pot.

Lone Wolf
02-16-2009, 11:45
potheads focus on smokin' pot a lot. it consumes their daily thoughts

Rockhound
02-16-2009, 12:23
Whether you partake or not the laws are absolutely ridiculous. What's the worst possible thing that would happen? It's clear that people will smoke regardless of whether it's legal or not. It is not a gateway drug as the propaganda would have you believe and is not physically addictive unlike alcohol, caffeine and nicotine. In the 30s the govt. introduced a tax stamp that you could buy to legally grow Marijuana. The only catch was they would not sell any. Perhaps if they began selling these stamps to growers and began raising revenue instead of spending millions of dollars trying to enforce an unenforceable law, it might even help turn the economy around. Pot is estimated to be the 4th biggest cash crop in the U.S. only problem is the govt. doesn't see any of the profits. Instead they just keep flushing taxpayer dollars down the toilet. In there infinite wisdom our govt. believes that hemp should also be illegal to grow because it just looks to similar to pot, ignoring the fact that it can be used for paper, rope, clothing and even fuel without depleting the soil or taking away a food source like corn. It's a weed. It will not create the runoff that is creating a dead zone in the Gulf of Mexico like the corn industry is doing. There are a lot of negative things being said right now about ethanol as well as our foreign dependence on oil. Hemp address each of these issues and seems like an obvious avenue to explore. Finally the medical benefits that the govt. has been trying to suppress for years, much like the tobacco industry tried to suppress the harmful effects of it's product, are undeniable. Cancer patients, aids patients, leukemia patients and glaucoma patients, and basically anyone who has to go under chemotherapy receive tremendous benefit when treated with marijuana without the harmful side effects of the alternatives.

Lone Wolf
02-16-2009, 13:17
and pot smokers are always rationalizing their use

Sly
02-16-2009, 13:20
potheads focus on smokin' pot a lot. it consumes their daily thoughts

I suppose that why they call them potheads but not everyone that smokes pot is like that. It's like the difference between drinking a few beers from time to time and being an alcoholic.

under federal law(on federal lands such as NP, NF, NWR, etc) possession is a federal misdemeanor, with first offense punishment being imprisonment of up to 1 year and a $1000 fine.

I know someone that got caught in the Smokies they received a $250 ticket and were told to exit the park until the ticket was paid. With a small amount, it's not likely you'll be carted off to jail in a National Park, or in a decriminalized states.

Also, many of the trail states also have medical marijuana laws including ME, VT, MD, all of the PCT- CA, OR, & WA, and most of the CDT- NM, CO, MT.

Rockhound
02-16-2009, 13:56
and pot smokers are always rationalizing their use
I take it you disagree with my post. Free country, but would you care to explain why?

Bearpaw
02-16-2009, 14:12
Folks, this is supposed to be about the best states to hike in. If it turns into a "legalize marijuana" thread, it will need to go.

Bearpaw
02-16-2009, 14:15
As far as best states, I love Maine.

I think TN/NC has great stuff going for it, like nearly year-round hiking.

Colorado and Wyoming are nothing short of incredible, once you get to the mountains.

But Utah may be the best, IMO, because you can have mountains in summer, deserts and canyons in the winter, and great cross-country skiing many months of the year.

Once you get past that whole 3.2 beer law... :(

Rockhound
02-16-2009, 14:18
Of course the person who started this thread had listed all his favorite states to hike in were all the states that had decriminalized marijuana, so technically it could be said we are still on topic, no?

Bearpaw
02-16-2009, 14:23
Of course the person who started this thread had listed all his favorite states to hike in were all the states that had decriminalized marijuana, so technically it could be said we are still on topic, no?

Sly may have acknowledged these were decriminalized states, but he hasn't been dwelling on that sole aspect either.

If you are going to debate legalizing marijuana, go to some other forum. It's not as heated a discussion as politics, guns, or dogs, but it's pretty darned close. My options will be close the thread NOW, or spend a ton of time monitoring and cleaning up the thread and eventually STILL have to close it down later. I'll take the first one.

Sly
02-16-2009, 14:30

Sure anyone can list their best states for whatever reason.

I'll be in CA later this year and plan on seeing a doctor with regards to getting a prescription.

Lone Wolf
02-16-2009, 14:31
potheads will do anything to use :rolleyes:

Sly
02-16-2009, 14:35
potheads will do anything to use :rolleyes:

I wouldn't consider myself a pothead by any means and only smoke on occasion, I'm just trying to stay on the right side of the law. :D

Rockhound
02-16-2009, 14:41
NC/TN. I worked out in CO. for a summer and would definitely want to head back out there to do some hiking.

IceAge
02-16-2009, 14:50
I like hiking just about anywhere, but I really enjoy hiking in Wisconsin because they had the foresight to place the state so that it surrounds my house. Makes it very convenient.

camojack
02-16-2009, 21:20
Folks, this is supposed to be about the best states to hike in. If it turns into a "legalize marijuana" thread, it will need to go.
Is it really supposed to be "about the best states to hike in"?

The O.P. has already admitted his reason for starting it, and it was specifically because of marijuana laws:

AT= ME, MA, NY, NC
CDT= CO
PCT= CA, OR
I'll let you figure why I think so.

...all states mentioned have decriminalized pot. Now we're in a gray area, does this violate rule #4? :-?
See? But since those States have apparently "decriminalized pot", then it does become a gray area with regard to the T.O.S. :eek:

camojack, what is the name of the waterfall where they are filming Lost? My wife and I went on a nice little hike there it was great after surfing all day. Seems even more quite after a long day of waves crashing in your ears.
I already answered this in response to a PM: Sacred Falls. :rolleyes:

Sorry I missed the question when it was first posted on this thread... :o

Sly
02-16-2009, 21:36
Is it really supposed to be "about the best states to hike in"?

The O.P. has already admitted his reason for starting it, and it was specifically because of marijuana laws:

Those are my reasons for best states to hike in, they don't have to be yours.

See? But since those States have apparently "decriminalized pot", then it does become a gray area with regard to the T.O.S. :eek:

#4 Discussions involving how to commit illegal acts, or involving the use, production and/or distribution of illegal drugs are forbidden.I'm not really trying to do any of the above. As a matter of fact, I mentioned how I may try to get it legally. ;)

PS Perhaps I should have put it in sensitive trail subjects. :-?