PDA

View Full Version : Storage Options

blackbird04217
02-11-2009, 20:18
Okay, so in the few years I've been living away from my parents I realized I have collected a lot of 'junk' that I am not willing to sell and lose or such as I will want it all later. But I am questioning my 'original' plan. Please bear with me while I describe my situation, which will allow better advice. And please read this if you are going to leave comments / advice.

My situation is I do not have a stable job anymore, and I am living in Iowa although my next job will probably require me to move. Approaching the end of my job it was the lack of a stable job that opened the doors for my Appalachian Adventure, and thus I started planning for it. Since I had to move anyways, my original plan was to move my stuff back to my parents and let them store it in the basement, etc. Would be with someone I trust, and they could use my TV and other items if they wanted during the time. However, it would cost ~$2000 to move it to Maine, and then another ~$2000 to move to the new job. And I was ok with that, and just assumed that the unneeded ~$2000 was part of my trip expenses. However, times are changing and the window for my trip is rapidly approaching. Its not a big window either.

I am currently working on a project, and should be done with it mid-March to early-April. My window for the trip will begin March 15th, and end on April 15th. I also have 2 weeks of time before the trip where I want to spend with family since I haven't for long enough... Besides the point; my budget is going to be tight, to say the least. I have college loans to pay while I am on the trip and the need to have $2000 remaining for relocating for the next stable job. All in all, I will commit financially to the trip as soon as I have enough money, but I can't be sure of that this moment.

I have been looking into storage options, which originally I didn't feel safe leaving my motorcycle, tv, couches etc... etc... in a storage place, but am trying to relax a bit more about it since it would be ~$850 rather than $2000 for the move, and effectively doing the same thing although I would need to come back to Iowa for it. So traveling expenses would probably make the total savings around $600 or so. Which does help a bit... But I think I will constantly be wondering about my stuff; where as bringing it with my parents I won't worry about it.

So, I don't have a direct question but that is my situation. please read it if you plan on replying, I am sorry it was long. Just leave any other suggestions or things I haven't thought of and if I am thinking correctly since for the last 4 months of planning I had planned to move the stuff, and within a month of the window I am thinking of other ideas? (mostly so that I can commit my budget and go full steam ahead.)

Jack Tarlin
02-11-2009, 20:37
Well Option One would be to find an alternate to a paid storage facility closer to where you are now. Any good friends with a big house, basement or barn?

Failing that, I think you'd be better off with the stuff at your family's place. It will indeed be safer, you won't worry about it, ever, and you can leave it there as long as you want. This might be money well spent.

Final suggestion, and this is whether you go to your parents OR rent a storage box: Most people own way too much stuff. Clothes they never ever wear any more, school papers they haven't looked at in 10 years, horrible artwork, un-read and unloved books, hideous furniture, cooking stuff they never ever use, etc. So get ruthless. REALLY ruthless. Stuff you don't need or ever use, well get rid of it. Advantages are that you'll be rid of useless baggage; packing up and moving it will be easier, whether it's cross town or hundreds of miles away; and moving/storing it will cost less, too. And who knows, maybe you can have some sort of yard sale and even make a few hundred bucks you can put towards the move or storage fees. But really, the best way to have fewer worries over what to do with your accumulated stuff is probably to get rid of a lot of it.

Good luck!

Slo-go'en
02-11-2009, 20:40
So, where do you think the new job will be when you finish the trail, back in Iowa? If that's the case, it only makes sense to leave your stuff there. I won't worry about the storage, so long as its in a high and dry location and you keep the rent current.

If your folks are in Maine, why not visit them at the end of the trip, since your hiking that way anyway? Would give you some incentive to get there and save some money on the front end of the trip.

blackbird04217
02-11-2009, 20:48
Yea I certainly will be visiting the folks and family when I am done with the trip. I don't know where the next job will be. I am aiming my sites on the North-East, closer to the family. Failing that my sites will be set on Florida as I have some good friends and such there as well. I want to visit family and such before the trip because its been almost a year since I've seen them; and since I sacrificed my christmas vacation for the hopes of saving enough money ($600 is about 4% of the money I need so it is a fair chunk).

garlic08
02-11-2009, 20:48
Ditto what Jack said...Purge! When you return from thru hiking the AT, I guarantee you'll wonder why you have so much stuff.

mtnkngxt
02-11-2009, 20:53
Motorcycle I understand keeping, the rest sell. You'll thank yourself later.

Slo-go'en
02-11-2009, 20:57
I don't know where the next job will be. I am aiming my sites on the North-East, closer to the family.

Well, in that case, get rid of everything which won't fit into a small U-haul truck and take it to Maine. I'm betting you'll be spending some time with Mom and Dad after the hike anyway.

blackbird04217
02-11-2009, 21:10
Right but I have a car, motorcycle, and other objects which I have taken a lot of my time working for. I agree I have things I don't need in this apartment; second tv, college books that I reference here and there, could possibly use the interwebs for but sometimes its nice to have it in book form. I would have to agree with Jack that $600 for the "security" of bringing it to family is probably much worth it. That was the original reason why I've wanted to do it that way, so that during my trip I don't need to have a thought creeping in the back of my mind "Is my stuff ok"...

blackbird04217
02-11-2009, 21:11
I am thinking I should stick with my original thoughts, even if it is a little more expensive and such.

Slo-go'en
02-11-2009, 22:14
Since you don't plan on going back to where you are now, you might as well move the stuff now and save the storage fees and cost of going back for it later. In the long run you'll be better off and save money. The only real question is how much of it do you want to keep? The more you can get rid of now, the easier it will be to move it.

Desert Reprobate
02-11-2009, 22:17
With the economy the way it is, you might get a good price on a semi-trailer. Put your stuff in it and either park it somewhere in Iowa or have it trucked to your parent's area. When you are done with it, you can sell it and maybe get most of your money back