PDA

View Full Version : Survival Straw

FritztheCat
02-11-2009, 22:32
Has anyone ever used a "Survival Straw"?

Here's some info I found on the product:

Survival Straw.

The Survival Straw is a unique solution for water purification. By drinking through the Survival Straw, you destroy harmful bacteria, remove chlorine, water-soluble heavy metals, pesticides, arsenic, mercury, EDB, and other carcinogens. Odor and bad taste are also eliminated as the water is purified. Certified tests show that the Survival Straw will remove 99.99% of bacteria, Giardia, and EDB pesticides from your water source. The Survival Straw weighs only two ounces and is 1 1/4 " in diameter by 7 1/2 " long. Processes up to 5,000 gallons of water.

P.S. I did a search for "Survival Straw" and mine was the only post mentioned.

#9STRAW Survival Straw $32.95

The website is http://www.walkabouttravelgear.com/health.htm and it's about 1/4 of the way down on the page.

theinfamousj
02-11-2009, 22:41
I've used the Frontier Straw (http://giardiaclub.com/survival-water-filter-straw/index.php), with good success, as primary water treatment on weekend trips. Not the same brand, but looks to be the same concept and within the same price range.

Dogwood
02-12-2009, 00:30
Something I've never seen nor heard about. How does it work? How do U fill a water reservoir w/ it?

sloopjonboswell
02-12-2009, 01:57
Something I've never seen nor heard about. How does it work? How do U fill a water reservoir w/ it?

spit... dont swallow

FritztheCat
02-12-2009, 09:40

I honestly don't know. There was a Search and Rescue guy talking at our hiking club meeting last night and he said he used one. Apparently you just stick the contraption in water and drink. I had never heard of it either but figured I would look it up.

Manwich
02-12-2009, 09:48
I'm sure you could hook it up as a gravity filter but if you're DIY'ing it you might as well do it right. Otherwise, I suppose you could hook it up as an Inline filter for a bladder.

OldStormcrow
02-12-2009, 09:56
Those things are primarily designed so you can just stop and drink straight out of a stream, not for filtering into a container. You can find all kinds of variations on these in those "GI Joe" outfitter catalogs, like Brigade Quartermaster, etc.

snowhoe
02-12-2009, 13:24
I have seen one of these but its been avery long time ago. I think its a great idea I hope they can make this thing availabe so we can stop all the pumping when we are filtering.

jrnj5k
02-12-2009, 14:15
there used a lot in third world countries. http://www.vestergaard-frandsen.com/lifestraw.htm

atraildreamer
02-13-2009, 22:03
http://beprepared.com/product.asp_Q_pn_E_wp%20t155

theinfamousj
02-13-2009, 22:08

It isn't a pump-filter replacement. It is an inline filter in a straw. Like the kind of straw you use to drink soda out of a cup at a fast food place.

You don't use a bladder with it, you use a cup.

If your style of hiking is water bottles, then you dip and sip-through-the-straw.

If your style of hiking is a bladder, then I don't think it would work for you. You'd need a more inline filter.

YoungMoose
02-13-2009, 22:48
never heard of. wouldnt trust it though

Topcat
02-14-2009, 22:13
Looks like it filters 20 gallons of water for about $10. would be nice backup to carry on weekends..

~Ronin~
02-16-2009, 20:40
These are designed for survival kits, day or overnight hikes. You wouldn't want to carry one on a thru hike, because it only filters 20 gallons, which isn't that much. It wouldn't be much of a problem on the AT, but in areas with more questionable water a 2 micron filter isn't good enough. You should go with nothing less than a 1 micron filter in those cases. Overall though, these work pretty well as long as they are used for their intended purpose.

FritztheCat
02-16-2009, 22:07
Thanks Jman, that's pretty much the conclusion I came to. I've got a Sawyer inline filter for my thru-hike.

I think this would be a great product to throw in a bag when traveling to foreign countries. I lived in Italy for two years and constantly ran into non-potable water. One of these would have been great although I think I would have offended some restuarant owners if I had stuck one of these in their glasses of water. :)

OldStormcrow
02-17-2009, 10:25
If you are going to a foreign country you will need a "class 1" filter, as opposed to a "class 2". Most Sweetwater, Pur, etc. filters are only class 2.

rhodeshale19
05-05-2009, 04:24
Check this out mate!

The Straw Filter!

This Frontier Emergency Water Filter System is ideal for hiking, travel, and emergency preparedness. It is the perfect addition to your 72 hour emergency kit. One unit will filter up to 20 gallons (75L) of water.

Tests indicate that the Frontier Filter will remove 99.9% of Cryptosporidium and Giardia. The Frontier Emergency Water Filter System is also easy to operate, just attach and expand the straw, submerge the filter end into the water source, and drink through the straw.

Ultra light and compact, the Aquamira Frontier Emergency Filter System weighs less than one ounce and easily slips into a day pack, shirt pocket or travel luggage and is always ready when you need it.

The Frontier Filter is the ideal alternative to heavy, bulky and expensive pump filtration units when space and weight are primary factors.

Activated carbon helps reduce waterborne chemicals and improves water taste. Use the Frontier Emergency Water Filter System to drink from any bottle, cup or directly from water sources.

Straw Filter (http://www.survival-gear.com/straw-filter.htm)