PDA

View Full Version : Another reason to dislike W@lMart

oyster__eyes
02-12-2009, 00:30
Now I'm not trying to start a war here, but I hate W*lMart for many many important reasons. I thought I would take a moment to complain about my trip there yesterday, wherein I found a new reason to hate the place.

I don't buy from W*lmart, but I went in to try on some different hiking boots and see what I like before I hit the Foothills Trail in a month. Nothing complicated, just how high up on the ankle, how heavy, etc. I was excited when I found that they had 13 different types of men's hiking boots because I expected they would have some nice ladies' styles. Alas, none. Not a one. They had an entire wall devoted to styles for the boys. And NONE for girls. All they had in the way of boots was high heel plastic contraptions.

Because everyone knows that girls don't hike.
Or if they do, they're crazy jungle women who have wide man feet and deserve to wear men's clothes anyway.

UGH. I became disgusted with the whole thing. I don't mean to wave my angry feminist flag, but it needs to be said. W*lMart doesn't give half a hell about their customers, especially lady hikers.

Cool AT Breeze
02-12-2009, 00:51
They did you a favor. Your feet would rot off in Wally World boots.

sloopjonboswell
02-12-2009, 01:30
hard to beat bulk at sam's club. while i disagee with shopping at wally world on many levels:

a) two pairs of hi-tec got me from ga to maine

b) cash strapped as i was, the mart was like finding a hobo paradise

c) except for a good sleeping bag, you could hike the a.t. with sam's club/wally world gear

sloopjonboswell
02-12-2009, 02:02
sorry, i didn't realize this was the ladies forum. excuse me. that's terrible there's no ladies options.

taildragger
02-12-2009, 02:06
I imagine that they just don't move enough products (women's boots) to make enough money to warrant the extra inventory, ordering, shipping etc...

Gaiter
02-12-2009, 02:29
actual woman responding: yeah its that way w/ hiking boots and steel toes.... worse w/ steel toes (i have to wear steeltoes for work, thank god for skechers)
stick to outfitters.... and good shoes stores (not payless)... department stores like sears will have them too.... also you don't have to hike in boots... many like hiking in trailrunners and tennis shoes..

boarstone
02-12-2009, 08:50
Were you looking for "womens" boots or a boot that would fit? I've never been able to get my feet to "fit" into a women's shoe/boot and believe you me, I've spend years trying! It wasn't until I started hiking/backpacking years ago that I went w/a boot that would fit, I didn't care if it said "Jolly roger" on it...Women's shoes/boots are B width, very narrow so I looked to the boys dept. Whala!
I have worn Hi-Tec boys boots as of late... My current Hi-Tec are waterproof, only because I use them for spring fishing, fall hunting. They are holding up well, 4yrs.
The boys boot is wider, fits fine w/addition of arch support inserts for a flat footed/no arch person I am. Hiking splays the feet out in width as well as length. I use to wear a 6 in women's, now a 7 if wide.
Depending on the brand- which I try to stick to the ones I've used/know-now wear a boys 6 in Hi_Tec and a 6 1/2 in ASOLO. With ASOSLO's, they run wide,so if your size needs to be a wide, order your normal size. Best to try on the shoe/boot before buying on line and not just 2 or 3, lots and lots! It will take many many tires before you find the brand/size that works for you. Hence my trail runners (no boots now) are ASOLO. I bought an ASOLO boot as a 7 and regretted it...way too big...try before you buy.

SUL-fury
02-12-2009, 10:50
walmart is the current torch bearer of our materialist civilization. it doesn't matter how much you hike, you are a materialist consumer. just like ray jardine.

the one where i live has women's boots. they may have been out of stock, disorganized, switching display schemes, or you may have missed them.

Rain Man
02-12-2009, 11:03
I imagine that they just don't move enough products (women's boots) to make enough money to warrant the extra inventory, ordering, shipping etc...

At the risk of butting into the women's forum, I'll observe that before Title IX, that was the attitude of many people (mostly male jocks) towards girls' sports, the alleged claim that they (girls) just didn't want to play sports, so there was no need for to invest in girls' sports. The girls could just all be cheerleaders for the boys?

Oh, how the status quo was wrong! Many girls did want to play, they were just being deprived of opportunities. Maybe Wal-Mart is wrong too (on many levels)? I'm betting some of those same old-time male jocks are now buyers for Wal-Mart and still just don't get it. Let's hear it for fair treatment of the fairer gender, I say.

Excuse me for butting in.

Rain:sunMan, father of three sports-minded, hiking daughters.

Lone Wolf
02-12-2009, 11:12
walmart is the best! last year i was doin' trail benevolance at gooch gap. i bought a bunch of beer, hot dogs and fixins. there were a couple vegetarians that would be arriving so off to walmart in dahlonega to get Boca burgers. they had 2 boxes of them in a freezer. took forever to find them. yay walmart! :banana

Alligator
02-12-2009, 11:14
Hey fellows, this thread is obviously posted in the women's forum. You know better.

warraghiyagey
02-12-2009, 11:16
Hey fellows, this thread is obviously posted in the women's forum. You know better.
Woopsie. . . my 'B', although it not the easiest title to recognize a a women's only thread. . . sorry ladies:). . . I return to my hole in the ground. . .:o

Alligator
02-12-2009, 11:22
Woopsie. . . my 'B', although it not the easiest title to recognize a a women's only thread. . . sorry ladies:). . . I return to my hole in the ground. . .:oThe switch to the reddish background is also a clue;).

WritinginCT
02-12-2009, 11:22
My ancient, well-worn, Ozark Trails trail runners finally bit the dust after about 5 years worth of 3 season day hiking. I went to Walmart thinking I would grab another pair and I too was shocked at the new wall o'selection in the men's department! But other than some (f)Ugg(ly) boot knockoffs there were no boots to be had in the women's section. :mad:

I either wear ladies 10 wide or men's 9 or 9 1/2 and I buy a lot of sneakers et cetera in the men's deptarment- makes no difference me and hey, as an added bonus, I can avoid any semblance of pink or sparklies on my sneakers! So anyway I tried a few pairs in the men's and had no joy. The one's I liked they didn't have my size, the ones in my size either didn't feel right or I just didn't like.

It wouldn't be so annoying that there were no "women's" if there was just a unisex wall o'hiking boots in sizes for everyone.

Blissful
02-12-2009, 14:40
Why do we Wal mart bash because of hiking gear? Or waiting in line (heaven forbid!!) They sell cheap stuff, duh. I would never get shoes there, even slippers. Or electronics. You get what you pay for. But I did get my stuff sacks there. And great foods products for hikes along with personal items. You can't beat those prices. I'd rather save a little there and then buy my good hiking stuff elsewhere.

Smile
02-12-2009, 15:24
Support your local outfitter :)

River Runner
02-12-2009, 15:48
My 'local' outfitter would be a chain store (Gander Mountain or Dick's Sporting Goods) about 50 miles away.

Most of my gear is ordered online. WalMart is okay for minor stuff or for car camping gear.

Red Hat
02-12-2009, 16:02
I havent read everyone else's comments, but they probably all say the same thing: why would you look for hiking boots at Walmart??? They carry the cheapest footwear around and your feet deserve better! It's not Walmart's fault. They sell general merchandise to the general public at a decent price. Do yourself a favor and go online to Sierra Trading Post and buy some New Balance 811s. If they don't fit you can always return them. But if they do fit, you'll have a great pair of trailrunners.

boarstone
02-12-2009, 16:51
Has anyone looked at those packets of Light Tuna lately? Product of Tawain.....

Smile
02-12-2009, 17:01
ick......! :)

Cuffs
02-12-2009, 20:10
Ok everyone... last warning. Please stick to the topic at hand.

atraildreamer
02-13-2009, 21:36
Now I'm not trying to start a war here, but I hate W*lMart for many many important reasons. I thought I would take a moment to complain about my trip there yesterday, wherein I found a new reason to hate the place.

I don't buy from W*lmart, but I went in to try on some different hiking boots and see what I like before I hit the Foothills Trail in a month. Nothing complicated, just how high up on the ankle, how heavy, etc. I was excited when I found that they had 13 different types of men's hiking boots because I expected they would have some nice ladies' styles. Alas, none. Not a one. They had an entire wall devoted to styles for the boys. And NONE for girls. All they had in the way of boots was high heel plastic contraptions.

Because everyone knows that girls don't hike.
Or if they do, they're crazy jungle women who have wide man feet and deserve to wear men's clothes anyway.

UGH. I became disgusted with the whole thing. I don't mean to wave my angry feminist flag, but it needs to be said. W*lMart doesn't give half a hell about their customers, especially lady hikers.

Try K-Mart, they have a better selection of higher quality shoes and boots.

nymph40
02-13-2009, 21:42
what ever place you go all the crap is made in china no qaility

oyster__eyes
02-14-2009, 23:14
Like I said, I wasn't going to buy them there. Seeing as how they're manufactured with the blood of small underpaid venezuelan children and all.
I did end up buying some water purifying goods there, but that's Potable Aqua brand, not W*lMart brand. Profits from brands like Ozark Trail go straight to W*lMart.

Dancer
02-17-2009, 20:03
groceries at WalMart - yes

Hiking boots at WalMart - NO!

It's been said...you get what you pay for... and if you hate WalMart avert your eyes and pray as you go by...don't stop.