PDA

View Full Version : What's it like to be new???

RedneckRye
02-12-2009, 02:22
I saw a photo on the main page the other day, the title of it was something along the lines of "First solo overnight hike".
That got me to thinking about how envious I am of folks that are just starting out their hiker "career".
A decade plus and several long hikes into it, I'm more than a bit jealous of you all who are nervous or terrified of the first 2100 miles, worried about gear or weather, or maybe freaked out about hitch hiking down to Hiawasse for your first resupply.
So to all of you folks that are headed down to Springer (or up to Katahdin) soon to start your first long hike, I'd just like to say congrats and I wish I were you.
Have fun and remember, It's just walking.

phenimore
02-16-2009, 12:51
Four months to go for me... I'm so green I barely know what to worry about yet. Longest "hike" I've done was a week canoing and portaging in Algonquin Park. Heck that was 5 or six days. I've been camping quite a bit and I love walking so I hope that pieces together to get me thru. I find the questions and things my friends and family tell me to be the most revealing; some are jealous some think I'm completely nuts. Most of them just give me a strange look and say "Good luck with that."
I figure I'll be able to get in a couple weekend hikes in May and then I'm off... biggest concerns right now are figuring out how to get to the trail head and how to get back home in November!

Tinker
02-16-2009, 12:55
some are jealous some think I'm completely nuts.

They should be.
You are. :)
Enjoy!

yappy
02-16-2009, 12:59
I am not jealous of the freshness of a new experience.. I still have that I think, hope ! I am jealous of the going for a LONG hike.. haha. I got 1 coming but it is only 800 miles. it is the CDT folks that I am jealous of. I want that hike !... patience yap, patience.