PDA

View Full Version : Beef Jerky

SkinnyT
02-12-2009, 09:52
I wanted to order some good beef jerky in bulk. Hey I love Pemmican also, but it might cost me. Does anyone know a good retailer where I could order a bunch of moderately priced good stuff, freeze and have the old lady mail it from time to time?

Thx.

Jayboflavin04
02-12-2009, 10:29
I found this by google. Uncles Mikes beef jerky, It is amish made close to where I live. I found this 2.5lb bag for $30. It is reallly good. I listed the link here for you. I havent bought bf jrky lately so i cant verfy the value.

Jayboflavin04
02-12-2009, 10:30
sorry here is the link

http://www.legendhillsorchard.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=product.display&Product_ID=72&CFID=1374152&CFTOKEN=705b98fa37594d6-6AE1A7CE-BCD9-C46C-7B1B5C77AB6B6262

Wheeler
02-12-2009, 10:46
Make it yourself! It's easy and tastes better. if you don't have a dehydrator, use your oven. Buy some flank steak, cut it up,marinate, throw it in the oven at 160 till done . Takes 6-10 hr's. Your friends will crack jokes like "what? your jerkin' your meat again!". Cheaper and tastes great.

kytrailman
02-12-2009, 10:51
I second wheelres thoughts--or---get the sweet baby rays flavored from Wally world.

YoungMoose
02-12-2009, 10:52
i would make it youurself

Jeepocachers
02-12-2009, 11:37
I wanted to order some good beef jerky in bulk. Hey I love Pemmican also, but it might cost me. Does anyone know a good retailer where I could order a bunch of moderately priced good stuff, freeze and have the old lady mail it from time to time?

Thx.

We order in bulk every few months from Mingua Brothers - www.minguabeefjerky.com (http://www.minguabeefjerky.com). They are a small supplier out of Paris KY. This is some great jerkey that we happened upon a few years ago, and we haven't found anything that compares yet.

snowhoe
02-12-2009, 12:09
If you live near a butcher shop that process's wild game you might be able to work out a good price on something.

leeki pole
02-12-2009, 12:21
If you live near a butcher shop that process's wild game you might be able to work out a good price on something.
Good point. We live near a deer processer who makes jerky and it's good and quite reasonable if you like venison. About $2 a pound when available.

Ramble~On
02-12-2009, 12:49
Make it yourself! It's easy and tastes better. if you don't have a dehydrator, use your oven. Buy some flank steak, cut it up,marinate, throw it in the oven at 160 till done . Takes 6-10 hr's. Your friends will crack jokes like "what? your jerkin' your meat again!". Cheaper and tastes great.

I started making my own jerky long ago and if beef jerky is something you like now and will likely continue to like for the rest of your days - get a dehydrator and make your own...you will save big dollars in the long run and it's fun to make.

I spent a long while experimenting and coming up with marinades until I found one that IMO kicks ass.
I buy the leanest cuts of meat I can get and have done very well with eye of round roasts...put roast in freezer for about 30-40 minutes and it'll be easier to slice...trim any excess fat off...cut into 1/4 inch thick pieces and marinate for 24 hours...dry for 6-8 hours.
$10.00 to $15.00 at the store makes me a mass of jerky and it's nice to sit around munching on quality moo cow.
Guess there's little question if I'm a vegetarian huh.

snowhoe
02-12-2009, 12:58
You dont even need a dehydrator to make jerky you can use your oven if you want.

Ramble~On
02-12-2009, 14:07
:-? Yeah and for the first 50 or 60,000 years you didn't even need that.

Doctari
02-13-2009, 15:37

AND, some butchers will cut it for you if you tell them what it is for. Takes them minutes to do a few lbs, & they will all be even thickness. If you are like me, the same amount will take HOURS & be of random thickness. :p Which dosn't dry evenly I rapidly discovered.

Be sure to prop open the door of your oven a few inches (I do 2.5" because that is how long the baby fork I use is), AND turn the meat over when it seems to be about 1/2 done. I even rotate the pizza tins (I use the ones with holes in it) a few times "just because".

Blissful
02-13-2009, 16:11
We make our own when london broil is on sale.

catfishrivers
02-13-2009, 18:07
you can use ground beef as well if you have a jerky squirt gun. I got mine from nesco. It was pretty cheap.

boarstone
02-13-2009, 20:39
you can use ground beef as well if you have a jerky squirt gun. I got mine from nesco. It was pretty cheap.

Caution here: on commercial ground beef there is too much fat in it...no matter the lean percentage on the package...buy cheap steak, trim ALL fat off it before slicing. Fat is to jerky as cotton is to hiking...if you have the capacity/equipment to grind your own hamburg, i.e. Kitchen Aid w/grinder attatchment/or food grinder either electric or manuel...feel free to use what you have. OR...pick out your steak/lean meat, have the meat dept. grind it for you. Most do free of charge at larger food stores. Check where you can get this done for no extra fee. You can use the packets of ...chili,stew beef, teriyaki...whatever envelop of choice...you find of flavor you may care to taste. Found in the gravy/soup section of store. Already has the preservative in it which helps, mix into your meat of choice, let set overnight in frig. Instead of buying a so called "jerky maker", put mixture into ziploc bag, freeze only until just firm, you now can cut off or remove meat from bag, slice in oblong/eatable slices, lay in dehydrator to dry.:)

boarstone
02-13-2009, 20:45
Just in case the "putting the meat mixture in a bag" got lost in translation....flatten out inside of the bag so you can slice, which means you don't want to over stuff it, will also lay flat and even in freezer while awaiting the "just until firm" state.

hootyhoo
02-14-2009, 19:43
Teach the woman to make jerkey and then she can send it to you.
She won't mind staying home working on your jerky while your out hiking the trail.

SkinnyT
02-22-2009, 15:45
Made my own and wow!

So, as far as preserving would everyone reccomend putting it in a ziplock freezer bag? If I do that is it safe to mail to myself after it has sat in the post office for a week or so waiting for me to pick up? Obviously there are no preservatives and I want to be careful.

NorseWoman
02-22-2009, 19:18
I put my homemade jerky in vacumn packed bags-- keeps a long time at room temp or refrigerated or frozen