Office of Information and Public Affairs Washington, DC 20207
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
February 11, 2009
Release #09-126

Firm's Recall Hotline: (888) 611-9905
CPSC Recall Hotline: (800) 638-2772
CPSC Media Contact: (301) 504-7908
Outdoor Stoves Recalled by Jetboil Due to Burn Hazard

WASHINGTON, D.C. - The U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission, in cooperation with the firm named below, today announced a voluntary recall of the following consumer product. Consumers should stop using recalled products immediately unless otherwise instructed.

Name of Product: Personal Cooking Systems and Group Cooking Systems

Units: About 15,000

Manufacturer: Jetboil Inc., of Manchester, N.H.

Hazard: A tight valve attached to the stove’s fuel source can allow gas to leak, posing a fire hazard to consumers.

Incidents/Injuries: Jetboil has received five reports of fires resulting from leaking fuel. No injuries have been reported.

Description: This recall involves personal and group cooking stoves often used during outdoor camping. The recalled models include: Personal Cooking Systems in black (PBL075-BLK-(PCS) and camo (PBL075-CAMO-(PCS), Backcountry Gourmet Set (BDLFRY), Personal Cooking System with Companion Cup (BDL001), Personal Cooking System with Pot Support & Stabilizer (BDL002), Personal Cooking System with Coffee Press (BDL003), and Personal Cooking System Java Kit (BDLJAVA) and Group Cooking System (GCS150).

Sold at: Specialty outdoor and general sporting goods stores nationwide and on the Internet from July 2008 through November 2008 for between $100 and $130.

Manufactured in: United States

Remedy: Consumers should immediately stop using the recalled product and contact Jetboil for a repair or replacement.

Consumer Contact: For additional information, contact Jetboil toll-free at (866) 611-9905 between 8 a.m. and 5 p.m. ET Monday through Friday, or visit the firm’s Web site at www.jetboil.com. Consumers can also email the firm at [email protected]

http://www.cpsc.gov/cpscpub/prerel/prhtml09/09126.jpg

Manwich
02-12-2009, 11:01
Yet another reason for me to hate Jetboil. Go Pocket Rocket!

snowhoe
02-12-2009, 13:21
how can you tell if you have one that needs to be shipped back?

hoz
02-12-2009, 13:22
Read the description above

Ramble~On
02-12-2009, 13:26
how can you tell if you have one that needs to be shipped back?

Go to their website it has a detailed picture having to do with a small piece of metal on the underside of the burner.

The recall's been going on for a while and I sent mine back a couple weeks ago and got it back with the new "thingie" that makes it "okay"...but the igniter that used to work just fine...doesn't work on the burner they sent me back..I called and they've been 100% wonderful thus far...a new igniter is on the way and all will be well and good.
I love my Jetboil for what it does.... Jet Boil I don't cook in it, I boil water with it. - really, really fast.
Jetboil held the recall on their own and far ahead of this one released yesterday by CPSC...I guess it took the CPSC some time to get the word out.
Actually, i first learned about it here on WB a couple weeks ago.

snowhoe
02-12-2009, 13:35
ok so its the same recall that was talked about a month ago. Got it. Hoz didnt understand it thats why I asked.

Ramble~On
02-12-2009, 13:56
Yup...same recall. The Gov. moves slow. Jetboil contacted them and announced it - went forward getting the word out on their own and many weeks later the CPSC is just now releasing it.

elmotoots
02-12-2009, 14:26
Thanks for the post

the website has great pictures to help id recalled stove valves.

Mine was ok

thanks again for the heads up

elmo

q-tip
02-12-2009, 17:26
Thanks for the heads up, called Jetboil, very helpful. Mine was ok.

JaxHiker
02-13-2009, 10:36
Yet another reason for me to hate Jetboil. Go Pocket Rocket!
Yeah, because the Pocket Rocket is beyond reproach. Ignorance sucks (http://www.spelean.com.au/recalls/MSR_Recall_history.pdf). Just curious, do you have any intelligent reasoning to hate the product or is it just unfounded stupidity?

Fussymary
02-13-2009, 12:49
I had a faulty one - the entire process (they send you a box and an envelope, you send to them, they return new one) took about a week. Very fast response.

RememberYourZen
02-13-2009, 20:32
So if I've successfully used my jetboil on several occasions, is there still a chance that it could have a problem?

Tinker
02-13-2009, 22:52
Yeah, because the Pocket Rocket is beyond reproach. Ignorance sucks (http://www.spelean.com.au/recalls/MSR_Recall_history.pdf). Just curious, do you have any intelligent reasoning to hate the product or is it just unfounded stupidity?
I doubt it is unfounded stupidity, probably just childish snobbery (ie: "My stuff is better than your stuff, nya-nya-na-nya-nya!" :rolleyes:
Now I hope nothing happens to my Vargo Jet-Ti stove.:o