PDA

View Full Version : Arrival in GA- lodging

Pickleodeon
02-12-2009, 13:08
Hello, when I get to GA, I have to stay overnight. My dad is driving me down, so getting to the park/approach trail is not a big deal. Should I reserve a place to stay, like a motel, or will there be plenty of vacancies? It will be March 15th, it's a Sunday. I found some $50 or so rates in Dawsonville, GA. Is that about the closest place with kinda cheap lodging? It listed it as 40 minutes from Amicalola Falls State Park. Is it best to be safe and reserve a room, or just show up and find somewhere?

Survivor Dave
02-12-2009, 13:21
The lodge at Amicalola is about $100 per night. They do fill up quickly. Another option is to stay in Dawsonville at a cheaper hotel/motel and drive the 30 miles to Amicalola/Springer. There's always camping and staying at the Max Epperson Shelter behind the Visitors center. No stealth camping there, only at the campsites up near the lodge. Of my understanding, there are a few unmarked sites that are possibly available.:-?:o

Ox97GaMe
02-12-2009, 13:53
Depending on which direction you are coming from, there are other hotel options in the area. Elijay or Blue Ridge are viable options if you are coming from the northwest, or has easier access to FS42 if you are planning to go to the summit rather than hiking the approach trail. Some folks have stayed at Dalton or Chattsworth and driven over to Amicalola from there in the morning. You could also look at staying near Cumming Georgia. It is about an hour from there to the state park.

There is also the hostel between Dahlonega and Woody Gap if you wanted to look into that option.

partinj
02-12-2009, 14:10
You can stay at the HikerHostel They have a Thur_Hike Special one stay With dinner and breakfast and then they will take you to the trail or you can stay the night for $16.00 great place
Here is a link to their site. Don't wait to long. you do need to make a reservation. they fill up fast.
http://www.hikerhostel.com/

Bulldawg
02-12-2009, 14:21
There are also SEVERAL hotels in Dahlonega which is closer to both ASP and FS42.

Lone Wolf
02-12-2009, 14:48
Hello, when I get to GA, I have to stay overnight. My dad is driving me down, so getting to the park/approach trail is not a big deal. Should I reserve a place to stay, like a motel, or will there be plenty of vacancies? It will be March 15th, it's a Sunday. I found some $50 or so rates in Dawsonville, GA. Is that about the closest place with kinda cheap lodging? It listed it as 40 minutes from Amicalola Falls State Park. Is it best to be safe and reserve a room, or just show up and find somewhere?

stay at the Amicalola Lodge above the falls in the park. great place, good buffets

CrumbSnatcher
02-12-2009, 15:40
thruhikers can stay at the shelter(max epperson) behind the visitor center for free if you are being dropped off.

Pickleodeon
02-13-2009, 08:50
well, my dad will be staying overnight too, and he's not a thruhiker, he'd prefer a room to a tent/shelter.

Dahlonega seems closer than Dawsonville. And then we can drive to the park in the morning.

Tinker
02-13-2009, 23:41
Listen to Lone Wolf. Spend the extra money and stay at the Amicalola Lodge. Take your time saying goodbye the next day.....unless you weren't planning on hiking the approach trail. If not, stay at the Hiker Hostel in Dahlonega with Josh and Leigh Saint. Nice place, great folks.
http://www.hikerhostel.com/

Phreak
02-14-2009, 17:57
Hiker Hostel would be my choice.

max patch
02-14-2009, 18:16
Since Dad is spending the night it doesn't make sense to stay at the Hiker Hostel; I'd either get a room in Dahlonega or Elijay (if I was going to start at USFS 42 and not Amicalola State Park). Most hotels have free breakfast.

If staying in Dahlonega I'd have supper at the Smith House. AYCE southern cooking.

Pacific Tortuga
02-14-2009, 18:50
stay at the Amicalola Lodge above the falls in the park. great place, good buffets

The Sunday evening buffet rocks, plus pops will enjoy sending you off from here on any day.
Does he hike too ?, if so make reservations at the Hike Inn.

Tennessee Viking
02-14-2009, 20:20
There are some nice cabins in and around Blue Ridge and McCaysville. Goodfellas, a small steakhouse just inside Blue Ridge with big juicy steaks great for the night before trail.

Elijay has some typical highway town. A number of hotels and restaurants. Under an hour drive to Springer

Scrapes
02-15-2009, 23:07
Since Dad is spending the night it doesn't make sense to stay at the Hiker Hostel; I'd either get a room in Dahlonega or Elijay (if I was going to start at USFS 42 and not Amicalola State Park). Most hotels have free breakfast.

If staying in Dahlonega I'd have supper at the Smith House. AYCE southern cooking.

Stay in Dahlonega, drive to Amicalola, do the picture thing, weigh your pack thing, and have Dad drive you to FS 42 walk up to Springer together, share that moment together. The approach trail is something you can miss but being at Springer with Dad would be great.

good luck

Blissful
02-16-2009, 00:28
We stayed in Dahlonega, at a super 8 or something, don't quite remember.