PDA

View Full Version : American Chestnuts closer to restoration

steve hiker
05-10-2004, 20:08
They died before I was born, but perhaps I may live to hike among them.

"By 2006, we expect to have blight-resistant chestnut seeds to release on a limited basis," Jacobs said. "In another 10 to 12 years, we'll see significant quantities of seeds planted throughout the landscape."

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2004/03/040331003418.htm

smokymtnsteve
05-11-2004, 08:49
there is an american chestnut growing on Wayah Bald near the old fire tower...it produced seed last fall.

Jersey Bob
05-11-2004, 09:24
at least 10 characters

steve hiker
05-11-2004, 10:19
Maybe I should go back to that original tree each fall and collect the seeds to spread along the AT?
I think that would be a great idea. And if there are too many, perhaps you could send some of them to me to do the same on hikes this fall.

Might also want to let a couple of organizations know about that old tree. They're involved in chestnut restoration and could use the seeds --

http://ipm.ppws.vt.edu/griffin/accf.html

http://www.acf.org/

Alligator
05-11-2004, 10:26
Chestnut blight allows trees to grow old enough to produce seed, else there would be much fewer trees left. Chestnut trees are still around in the understory. The blight chokes off larger stems, but the tree may have enough reserves to resprout. So until your trees get larger, you may be unable to tell whether they have resistance. It would be a great service to let some folks know about that tree.

TedB
05-11-2004, 10:52
The house I grew up in has a chestnut tree next to it. I was told the tree was planted by my great-grand father in the 1860s when he bought the house. The trunk has to be over 4 feet in diameter and the tree dwarfs the 3 story house.

The house was sold in 1999 when both my parents passed away. At that time I took a couple of the chestnuts and planted them in the back yard of my current house and they are both growing strong and healthy. This disease resistance must get passed along in the seed. Maybe I should go back to that original tree each fall and collect the seeds to spread along the AT?

Do you think this violates the LNT rule?

Habitat restoration sounds just fine to me. You aren't leaving a scar on the landscape, you are healing a scar on the landscape.

flyfisher
05-11-2004, 11:05
Do you think this violates the LNT rule?

Yep, I do.

I would recommend getting in touch with the groups working on chestnut restoration, and having them take a look at the tree, etc.

There are a number of non-native chestnuts which are blight resistant. However, the restoration groups are trying to get as close to the american chestnut as possible. It is a complicated business.

However noble it might seem to spread seeds from your family tree along the trail, it could have many unintended consequences. To do so involves possible risk to the woods and to yourself. I would suggest getting sanction and approval for a project like this before spreading seeds.

Jersey Bob
05-11-2004, 12:58
at least 10 characters

TedB
05-13-2004, 10:49
Steve, thanks. I checked the sites and will send them a note about the tree. In case anyone is interested the tree is located at the intersection of Audrey Terrace and Wheatsheaf Road (on Audrey about 50 yards from the intersection), in Roselle, NJ.

I might add there appears to be major renovations going on at the house and they've dumped a lot of debris at the base of the tree. I hope they're not planning on taking the tree down.

If anyone does swing by, take a picture and post it here on whiteblaze. I would be interested in seeing this tree.

walkin' wally
05-13-2004, 18:12
I too would be interested in seeing a photo of the tree. I have never seen a Chestnut tree. I have seen a Buckeye or Horse chestnut ( that is what my neighbor calls it ) that we have in town and the seeds look similar but that tree is very old and decaying and I don't know if it looks like a Chestnut anyways. I would like to see a pic of a chestnut tree. I thought they were ALL gone with only suckers from old stumps left.

snuffleupagus
05-13-2004, 22:12
I too would be interested in seeing a photo of the tree. I have never seen a Chestnut tree. I have seen a Buckeye or Horse chestnut ( that is what my neighbor calls it ) that we have in town and the seeds look similar but that tree is very old and decaying and I don't know if it looks like a Chestnut anyways. I would like to see a pic of a chestnut tree. I thought they were ALL gone with only suckers from old stumps left.
Someone told me I have a chestnut tree in my backyard. Does a chestnut seed have a large outer shell with prickly spines, or is this a horse chestnut? :confused:

Tha Wookie
05-14-2004, 00:05
I agree with Flyfisher. Consult an expert. You don't want to be responsible for an invasive variety. If it is the American Chesnut, then unfortunately it should be dead or very young. But please do get an expert out there. Contact the forest service or your local university forestry program. Make sure you get the "resource sustainability" guys. Some of the others would cut it down and make matches.

9 Mules
05-14-2004, 06:06
Hey snuffleupagus, That sounds like a chestnut to me.
When they're brown you can open them by placing the nut on the ground and using the balls of your feet to push them open. Have shoes on! A little tricky until you get used to it. They're good for roasting.
They're part of the Chinkapin (?) family, Chinese chestnut trees were introduced to replace the American version. They look alike. Usually the American version will live about 10 years before the blight gets them.

Peaks
05-14-2004, 09:04
If anyone wants to see full grown chestnut trees, go to Arbor Lodge State Historical Park in Nebraska City, Nebraska.

I wish their website showed pictures of this magnificant tree, instead of the John Morton mansion.