PDA

View Full Version : Loudon Heights Overlook(s)

Lead Dog
02-12-2009, 14:26
I will be hiking into Harper's Ferry from the south and didn't want to miss THE overlook from Loudon Heights. I understand there is a side trail called such that was the old AT route. I don't want to hike necessarily this whole side trail but didn't want to miss 'split rock' I think it's called. About how far from the AT is this overlook?

brianos
02-13-2009, 00:07
No more than a mile. Where the AT bears left down toward the US-340 bridge across the Shenandoah, you'll continue north along the ridge crest. IIRC there's a decent view from a power line crossing, but the Split Rock view is a bit farther along as the trail starts descending from the ridge.

Newb
02-13-2009, 12:48
This is best hiked in the Winter and early Spring. By summer time the underbrush and poison ivy make it gnarly.

Also, as you go south from Loudon heights, make sure to take note of how HUGE the trees are. You'll see Paw Paw trees that are 120 feet high and 2 to 3 feet around. It's an awesome patch of forest.

Lead Dog
02-13-2009, 13:25
I plan to be here in May doing a section hike from Rockfish Gap ending in Harper's Ferry. I don't like missing views if I can help it along the way. So the power lines would be just as good as on down to split rock?

brianos
02-13-2009, 19:15
It's been many years since I was last at Split Rock, but I recall the view was definitely better there than from the power lines.