PDA

View Full Version : Got laid off yesterday, going to finish trail

Earl Grey
02-12-2009, 16:09
So yesterday morning I was told my position was eliminated. Kinda saw it coming but now I know for sure. I'm going to start in Front Royal and go south. I need to get a couple things but I have pretty much everything from last time. Maybe ill run into some NOBO's?

hopefulhiker
02-12-2009, 16:20
Good luck, Have you thought going NOBO? with the crowd?

Earl Grey
02-12-2009, 16:21
Good luck, Have you thought going NOBO? with the crowd?

I have but I dont want to finish on highway 522 in front royal. Talk about anticlimatic. I want to end on a mountain.

Manwich
02-12-2009, 16:22
be sure to have someone at home forge unemployment papers for ya

SGT Rock
02-12-2009, 16:27
Have a good hike man.

kyhipo
02-12-2009, 16:40
So yesterday morning I was told my position was eliminated. Kinda saw it coming but now I know for sure. I'm going to start in Front Royal and go south. I need to get a couple things but I have pretty much everything from last time. Maybe ill run into some NOBO's?my girl did too now its about getting ready have fun,ky

Ramble~On
02-12-2009, 16:42
:D Ain't freedom great !

They let me go January 26th "Black Monday" along with 70-80,000 of my fellow Americans. Thank goodness for all those foreign folks willing to do the hard work us Americans used to do for ourselves. Finding a Job isn't hard at all if you're willing to move overseas or down to Mexico.
:-? I kinda wonder what the Mexican Gov.'s gonna think when they see a bunch of us swimming their way for a change.

-- I'll be on Springer first day of Spring. My new job's carrying a pack...I'm my own Sherpa and I'm gonna pay myself pretty well.
The pack I'll be carrying is Made In America.

It's a good time to hike. I hope to keep my Sherpa position for atleast 3 years and a couple miles:sun.

Smile
02-12-2009, 16:44
Have a great hike! :)

Jayboflavin04
02-12-2009, 16:55
I just missed being layed off.....It could still happen. Ohio is running out of un-employment funds. So after you put your waiting week in you have to wait an additional 6 weeks to get a check. Good luck to all needing to find employment.

catfishrivers
02-12-2009, 17:08
I got canned on New Year's Eve morning. I'll be starting mid April. Good luck and see all my fellow NOBO HOBOs out there eating dehydrated beans from a can :P

wrongway_08
02-12-2009, 17:16
Have fun, take your time and enjoy!!

Congrats on the "forced" thru-hike !

Rockhound
02-12-2009, 17:20
Congratulations on all your new free time. Looks like you'll be putting it to good use.

mtnkngxt
02-12-2009, 17:30
And just think in 3 months we'll have about 50,000 college graduates who won't be able to find a job either. Trails going to be crowded next few years. Have fun!

Ender
02-12-2009, 17:31
I have but I dont want to finish on highway 522 in front royal. Talk about anticlimatic. I want to end on a mountain.

You could always continue hiking past that highway, and just see how far north you get! :sun

Blue Caboose
02-12-2009, 17:45
Blackmath, Are you going to have a journal.

Have a great hike.

Ramble~On
02-12-2009, 18:01
I just missed being layed off.....It could still happen. Ohio is running out of un-employment funds. So after you put your waiting week in you have to wait an additional 6 weeks to get a check. Good luck to all needing to find employment.

Seems to be a common problem. Odds are good the the Unemployment offices will be hiring - no shortage of work for them!

Something is going to have to give..so many jobs going overseas means the folks who used to work them are taxing the resources of their states rather than paying them income taxes. There's a lot more to it than just the trend in shipping jobs overseas though.
The world's in trouble.
:-? Six months of hiking and living in the woods just might be good experience for future practical application!

boarstone
02-12-2009, 18:59
According to the History channel and the Mian calender, the world is coming to and end Dec. 21 2012.....hike on:p

Earl Grey
02-12-2009, 19:26
Blackmath, Are you going to have a journal.

Have a great hike.

Yeah I plan on making a trailjournals.com site.

Rockhound
02-12-2009, 19:52
According to the History channel and the Mian calender, the world is coming to and end Dec. 21 2012.....hike on:p There were changes made in the Gregorian calendar and the actual date the Mayan calendar ends has already come and gone.(And were still here). Just another doomsday scare to get people to buy bottled water,toilet paper and duct tape etc....I may just wait and do my Christmas shopping last minute that year anyway. You know, just in case.

Blissful
02-12-2009, 20:08
Sorry to hear about that. Maybe when you get back, that great job will be waiting for you.

kolokolo
02-12-2009, 22:04
Good luck to you. Have a great hike, and don't look back.

Tinker
02-12-2009, 22:07
Good luck, BM - uh, Black Math.
Hope your future looks brighter at the end of the trail. :)

partinj
02-13-2009, 13:35
Hey i got ideal why don't we set up a tent city on the A.T or better yet
why not on the front lawn of the white house what you guys think.

Grampsb
02-13-2009, 13:39
Sorry to hear about that. Have a good hike

Panzer1
02-13-2009, 13:50
I got laid off in 2001 on a Friday, by noon time Sunday I was on the trail. :)

Good luck

Panzer

Nearly Normal
02-13-2009, 13:51
There were changes made in the Gregorian calendar and the actual date the Mayan calendar ends has already come and gone.(And were still here). Just another doomsday scare to get people to buy bottled water,toilet paper and duct tape etc....I may just wait and do my Christmas shopping last minute that year anyway. You know, just in case.

A Walmart conspiracy?

Skinner
02-13-2009, 20:33
:welcome

Welcome to the club. I got laid off last month. I cant explain why but it felt great. So I got this wild idea that this is the time (mid life) to do all the things that I have always wanted to do. Sold my house and car (dirt cheap) to my little sister who needed both (I kept my old truck and camper). I have to tie up some loose ends in the DC area, next stop is the WVa for a equipment shake down.

Good luck on the trail,

Skinner

YoungMoose
02-13-2009, 23:14
just adding to the percentage of unemployment but good luck

mudcap
02-13-2009, 23:47
Have fun,being employed is WAY over-rated. Things always work out. Enjoy your time off. A job is always just around the corner haunting you,enjoy your freedom while you have it.

A C York
02-17-2009, 22:41
Have fun on your hike and hope for the best when you get home

Six-Six
02-18-2009, 10:40
Sorry to hear - but glad you're headed for the trail and have the ooomph to live simple for a while. There will be a job for you when you finish and are ready to get tied down again. In the meantime, enjoy the freedom from the daily grind for a while.
I am holding my breath as layoffs happen below me. I might end up laying myself off to meet budget - if so, it's early retirement pay for a while and I will definitely be on the trail with you.