PDA

View Full Version : Moontrail?

hootyhoo
02-12-2009, 17:37
Just stumbled across their site. The pics are very helpful. That sets them apart from the others.
I searched WB to see if there was any input and all I could find was price references. There was no mention of a good or bad experience dealing with them.
Anyone had any experience they would like to share?
Is there a place on the this forum that lists good and bad online stores?

Thanks, Hooty

Frick Frack
02-12-2009, 17:41
I have been using that site for a few years for th same reasons...thepics are good reference. I have not ordered through them though (that I can remember). Cool site

hootyhoo
02-12-2009, 18:11
They have some 'too good to be true prices'. Anyone ever use them?

Ramble~On
02-12-2009, 18:12
They rock! Tents for example have the most thorough descriptions I've found with photographs showing people in them for size, inside and out and many angles. A picture's worth a thousand words and when I'm looking for something I like to get as much info on it as I can- They have a pretty cool points rewards system and a friend who bought a tent from them had good things to say as well. They had the best deal going on anything I've bought from them.

flemdawg1
02-12-2009, 18:13
Bought stuff there a couple of times also. Extra pics and reasonable shipping were why I chose them. Never had a problem that I needed customer service for.

Really smart of them to show how roomy tents are and how compact sleeping bags stuff.

bkrownd
02-12-2009, 19:06

They did good by me. I needed a backpack overnight, which is routine on the continent but a really rare occurance in rural Hawai'i. I called up and talked to an actual warm-blooded biped, stressing overnight if possible, and I had a backpack the next afternoon. Some places take a couple of days to even process an order and get it out the door.

the goat
02-12-2009, 19:10
they suck since getting purchased by columbia, they quality & craftsmanship went to hell....

the goat
02-12-2009, 19:12
they suck since getting purchased by columbia, they quality & craftsmanship went to hell....

whoops! sorry, i thought we were talking a/b montrail!:o

i know nothing about moontrail, carry on.....

bkrownd
02-12-2009, 19:15
Um, are you talking about "moonstone" or something else?

g8trh8tr
02-12-2009, 19:23
I have bought from them before online and it was all positive. Their Retail store in is San Antonio and I will be there on business next week and plan to check it out.

DapperD
02-12-2009, 20:44
Just stumbled across their site. The pics are very helpful. That sets them apart from the others.
I searched WB to see if there was any input and all I could find was price references. There was no mention of a good or bad experience dealing with them.

Thanks, HootyI discovered their site awhile ago, as I was interested in the Hilleberg line of tents, and this merchant is a dealer of them, along with Backcountrygear. I kept going to their sites, hoping that with the lousy economy maybe the price of the tents would go down some, when what to my dismay, they just went up!:eek:

FamilyGuy
02-12-2009, 20:45
Moontrail.com is awesome. They have excellent gear, excellent customer services, and are prompt in getting back to me. I have bought three Hillebergs through them!

Tinker
02-12-2009, 23:22

Thanks, Hooty
I bought my Hilleberg Akto there in 2005 before they changed their name (I forgot what I used to be).
I got a free Windmill lighter with the tent.
The additional views of the tent did it for me. They were helpful without having to say a word.
Tent arrived a few days later - no problem.

Franco
02-13-2009, 00:27
From memory they changed the name of the shop from Backcountry Equipment to Moontrail to avoid confusing them with Backcountry.com
Yes the Moontrail site is awesome and they should be commended for those tent shots, sometimes I visit the site just to get a quick fix.
Never seen a bad comment about them but have seen several positive ones.
That is were I direct Hilleberg customers. A mate of mine recently bought his Akto from them.
Franco

hootyhoo
02-14-2009, 19:15
Moontrail send shipping confirmation within hours. Campsaver sent shipping confirmation after two days. That sucks - one item will be Tuesday and the other will arrive on Thursday. That means I will have to get home before my wife does on Tuesday and on Thursday -- or else.
I will post a follow up about my experience with both retailers.

hootyhoo
02-17-2009, 18:13
Moontrail shipped the item same day. It arrived today.

trailgoat
02-18-2009, 16:08
I purchased a Gregory Iso daypack from them last summer. Great price and very fast service. When I ordered the pack, they indicated it wouldn't be at my house until after the weekend. I then asked them nicely whether they could get it here before the weekend---it arrived on Friday afternoon! They later received a very complimentary email praising their customer service.

Mr HaHa
02-18-2009, 16:52

Thanks, HootyA good company to deal with. However, they have really cut back in their tent photography. Several years ago they had extensive photo shots of every tent they sold. As in 8 to 10 different views of each tent posed with a model for scaleing purposes. Not nearly as many photos now. And many of the tents are now described using blurry manufacturing photos. I suppose it got rather exspensive to do over time.