PDA

View Full Version : Valentines for Thru hikers!!!

Live the Journey
02-12-2009, 21:40
I'm doing a shakedown hike this weekend around Roan Mountain/Carvers Gap and was wondering what the possibility of any Thru hikers being there this early might be? I was planning on taking some extra candy and valentines if ya'll thought there might be some? Let me know!

TOW
02-12-2009, 22:20
well you are liable to run into kayak karl..............

SGT Rock
02-12-2009, 22:22
On valentines day last year I was up around Erwin:

http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=216621

Live the Journey
02-16-2009, 10:18
Great Shakedown! To my surprise there was a thruhiker at Overmountain shelter. He claimed that there were only two other thru hikers ahead of him for the year, and he didn't have a trail name (because he hadn't run into anyone to give him one yet!)

Sharing the shelter with said thru hiker was a group of young men that made a fire...INSIDE THE BARN!! Once they had throughly smoked out the whole place, they moved it outside, but dang! I thought they were going to burn down one of the most favorite shelters on the whole AT. We walked up just as they were moving the fire outside, but the barn was so smokey that we set up in the open area beside the barn. Never the less, really great weekend.

TOW
02-16-2009, 10:51
that would be "no name."

mtnkngxt
02-16-2009, 13:17
ahh locals have to love pyromaniac youth. Still not as good as the drunken moron that decided he was going to be a fire eater at Wise shelter on my section in 06. Brilliantly set his face on fire. Luckily the only other person in the shelter other than us had a full water bladder and we dumped it on him.

Cabin Fever
02-16-2009, 13:42
Great Shakedown! To my surprise there was a thruhiker at Overmountain shelter. He claimed that there were only two other thru hikers ahead of him for the year, and he didn't have a trail name (because he hadn't run into anyone to give him one yet!)

Sharing the shelter with said thru hiker was a group of young men that made a fire...INSIDE THE BARN!! Once they had throughly smoked out the whole place, they moved it outside, but dang! I thought they were going to burn down one of the most favorite shelters on the whole AT. We walked up just as they were moving the fire outside, but the barn was so smokey that we set up in the open area beside the barn. Never the less, really great weekend.

GRRRR! I would have probably said and done unkind things since that is my home section.